four hour flight with 13 month old!

sarahlou00
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:31 am 
Post subject: four hour flight with 13 month old!
I wondered if anyone had any ideas or advice,to give me,on how to keep a one year old sweet on a four your flight?
I hadn't really thought the holiday through properly,but wanted to go somewhere warm with a beach and pool etc..,usually I would have picked somewhere like Spain,( a shorter flight!) But our holidays are ruled by the rugby season,because of my partners job,so we have to with until October.As Spain is not guaranteed good weather then,I thought Cyprus a better option.I know and like Cyprus,but didn't think about the four and half your flight!.I did go when my son was this age 6 yrs ago,but he was happy to watch tv,have a cuddle,look at books and sleep.Whereas my darling baby girl is an absolute madame,hates been sat on yr knee,dosnt like cuddles,is bored of something within two mins and shouts and plays up if she dosnt get what she wants.Completely different behaviour to my son.as its a day flight and not a night flight,(where she is good where nights concerned and has always gone to sleep from 7 to 7 or later!.) I'm now dreading it so much Im tempted to cancell.
Does anyone have any advice other than not go. X
LauraG
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:44 pm 
Post subject:
id say 13 months is probs the best age. whereas any older up till about 3/4 is a nightmare.

nutnut
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:09 pm 
Post subject:
We went to Cyprus in May, my lo was slightly older than yours (18 months) and it wasn't too bad to be honest! I bought some little presents for her beforehand and wrapped them up and gave them to her throughout the flight. She'd be all excited to open them up, then would have some time to play with the wrapping paper, then some time to play with the actual present. We read books, did colouring in, we walked up and down the aisle a few times so she could say hello to everyone and then it was time to land!

I was absolutely dreading it beforehand but it was no where near as bad as I expected! So much so that we're off to Spain in a few days!

Don't spoil the excitement of the holiday by dreading it because it's likely to be less traumatic than you think!!!!

Have a lovley holiday x

xTEGx
Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:44 pm 
Post subject:
LauraG wrote:
id say 13 months is probs the best age. whereas any older up till about 3/4 is a nightmare.

Nightmare aye, hopefully not. We are off to New Zealand in 3 weeks time with our son who is nearly two and a half years old. The flight is about 24 hours long but from leaving our place and getting to my parents place it will be well over 30 hours until we have access to a proper bed again Smile

I would also say from our experience (we did this flight when our son was 8 months old), that the best age is when they are still not crawling and basically just wanting to be fed and then a bit of awake time and then sleep time. Once they are mobile, I'm guessing things can be a bit more trickier but I still think quite manageable.

All children are different. I know quite a few people who have had babies, toddlers etc and their experiences are generally not the same but I do think all in all, it's never as bad as what you build up in your head.

All the best and have a fab trip. xTx
Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:26 pm 
Post subject:
I bet she surprises you and is really good. I'd say her age is easier to distract and Ive always found that mine have slept during take off which is fab!

Take lots of juice but it will have to be in a closed carton because you will be asked to tip away any fluid from her bottle, her favourite toy, and a magazine with characters in she will recognise. Some snacks. maybe some crayons and paper? things that she has to sat down Smile

you'll be fine

have a lovely holiday
xxx
Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:31 pm 
Post subject:
Aw thanks everyone for you replies.I suppose as we go in a few weeks,there is nothing we can do but get on with it now.fingers crossed she isn't an absolute terror. Smile
sarahlou00
Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:32 pm 
Post subject:
Aw thanks everyone for you replies.I suppose as we go in a few weeks,there is nothing we can do but get on with it now.fingers crossed she isn't an absolute terror. Smile
Wringle
Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:10 am 
Post subject:
Very helpful!.. should be interesting to say the least!
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular