To mums that have breastfed

XxclaireXx1239
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:03 pm 
Post subject: To mums that have breastfed
Hi ladies,

My LO is 6 months and has been exclusively BF. At 10 weeks I tried him with a bottle but he wouldn't take it but this week we have finally had success which I'm happy about as I go back to work in 9 weeks. I am planning on giving him bottles during the day but keeping a morning and evening breastfeed. I can't express enough to cover the day (he's a big boy! Lol) so have started to change the majority of his feeds to formula. I feel sooooo guilty about this Sad did you feel guilty when you weaned off? How long did it take for the feelings to wear off? I feel really sad about stoping but I know it has to be done at some point and I really do need to go back to work but I just feel so guilty.

I know when we are fully weaned off the boobs during the day he might decide he doesn't want breast in the morning and evening and the thought of this makes me feel even worse Sad

libertytmk
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:31 pm 
Post subject:
Don't feel guilty at all. I kept Jamie exclusively bf until 6 months and then at 7 months switched him to a bottle. I went back to work today and he just has a morning and evening feed now. When I did it I didn't feel guilty just proud that I'd managed it exclusively for so long as it was hard work. One thing I will say is he may take most of his milk from you anyway. Jamie only had 1oz today and on other occasions his been away from me hasn't had much and has then fed loads in the evening

DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:59 am 
Post subject:
I didn't feel guilty last time, I dropped feeds while weaning and gradually went to just a morning and evening feed and it just seemed the natural thing to do as he was having more food, my son went straight from the breast to a cup for his drinks with meals and carried on having his evening feed until he was nearly one, I switched straight to a cup because with his older sister when she started to have some bottles during weaning she refused any BF at all and stopped literally overnight Sad Confused which wasn't what I'd planned to do , but all babies are different and when I had to express for my son if I was going out for example he would be fine with a bottle and it didn't affect him ,FX your little one takes to his new routine xx
DevonMum
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:36 pm 
Post subject:
I didn't feel guilty with Milly as she made the decision, and just refused the breast at about 5 and a half months. I think it's easier with the 2nd. With Isaac I felt awful, had a terrible time decising to stop expressing for him (despite how hard it was, and impractical). My SIL really helped me to understand that 12 weeks was an amazing acheivement.

I know it won't make a real difference - I think that guilt is just something we all go through!! BUT, it might help you to know that current research shows that after 6 months the physical benefits of BF have pretty much tailed off entirely. There are still emotional benefits of course, but as long as you are spending as much quality time and feeding time as possible with your LO, the difference is negligible.

Please try not to beat yourself up over this. You have done an absolutely amazing job to BF for 6 months. My HV told me once that the average UK women's length of time BFing is 72 hours!!! so, pat yourself on the back, remember that the bond is still the bond and nothing will change that - and throw yourself into weaning and helping your baby to move forward with you.

Anna
xxx
Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:40 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks ladies,

I do feel very proud of myself and hopefully we'll keep a morning and evening feed for a while

Aprilxxkayne
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:35 pm 
Post subject:
i felt so guilty about not being able to breastfeed kayne, i really wanted to but he wouldn't latch on even with the help from various midwives so i expressed breastmilk for him to have and by 3 weeks i couldn't get enough to feed him so had to start topping up with formula. Now he is just on formula as my supply slowly decreased and im ok about it now but to start with i felt awful, especially as it was giving him colic sometimes. i think alot of us go through it but you have done so well managing 6 months xxx

avfcgal
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:08 am 
Post subject:
i still only breastfeed my daughter, which i am proud of i am going to see how long i can keep it up for

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Feeding and Weaning All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular