Telling the boss

climbmoretrees
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:08 pm 
Post subject: Telling the boss
Hello. I've recently found out that I'm pregnant for the first time and I'm really delighted but I'm starting to worry about telling my employer. I work in a fast paced, competitive business and I don't think it will go down very well. Does anyone have any tips as to how to break the news?
Debp
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:18 pm 
Post subject: Re: Telling the boss
Hi There
This is my second pregnancy and I remember feeling the same too. I waited unil i had my scan to make sure all was well then I just went in to see my boss first thing in the morning and told him straight. He was surprised but at the end of the day they do realise we all have a family life and its not just all work. Unfortunately I wanted to go back part-time but my role was a full-time role only so I just found one else where when I was ready to go to work again. Remember you and baby come first now! Good luck!!
climbmoretrees
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:31 am 
Post subject: thanks!
Thanks for your posting, I appreciate it!

Its not easy getting out of the busy 'career-girl' mind set but I am going to really try to get my head around the bigger picture and focus on me and my baby. Thanks again Surprised)
mummysarah
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:42 pm 
Post subject:
hi congrats on your pregnancy Very Happy

depends on what job u do hun i suppose i reckomend u must tell your boss immediatley if your in your job were u have to lift anything or doing anything thats strenuous as u will put your baby at risk.
your boss will then have to put u on something thats must more suitable, i can understand u feeling worried especially if your job is not good for pregnant women but then u would have to stop working ther anyway for the safety of your baby.remeber your boss cannotscak you just because your preg if they do u have a good case and id take them to court.
goodluck hun do what u feel comfortable with xxx
Poppy21
Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:27 pm 
Post subject:
Hiya,
I'm in a bit of a tricky situation too. I just started my job in September with a promotion and have just found out I'm pregnant and due in October. But the boss'll have to like it or lump it! People have been been getting pregnant since the world began after all. There are so many rights for maternity leave so bosses have to follow them to the letter otherwise they end up getting into more trouble than its worth.
lindablair
Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:24 am 
Post subject:
I was wondering the best way to approach this as well. I am quite good friends with my line manager, but I don't want to tell her until I am further in and have had a scan... I'm worried that although there are lots of babies at my work, considering the small office, I will be treated differently because I am not married to the father (in actual fact its rather complicated)
Archie1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:03 pm 
Post subject:
Hi I told my boss quite early on in case I had to have any time off for appts, scans, etc. The way I put it was that I thought I would tell her as early as possible so she could have more time for working out payroll and to find someone else to cover my mat leave. She said i'd been very considerate thinking that way (I hadn't I just wanted to keep her happy!) but it has made it easier if i've been ill or needed time off for ante natal stuff xxxx
erj74
Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:44 pm 
Post subject:
I had to tell my boss pretty much as soon as I found out, i have some fertility issues and was told not to fly so had to tell my boss before we even told the family as I was due to fly with work at about 6 weeks! I ask him to keep it confidential and he certainly appreciated me being honest with him about what was going on. I am also not married - not a complicated situation but was worried how some people would react but everyone was really happy for me when we eventually announced it to the world at about 14 weeks. I also figured it was our business not theirs, we had decided that having a family was more important to us than getting married. Whatever your situation you need to focus on you and the baby and enjoy the whole experience and not let other peoples prejudice get to you.
Hope all goes wellxxxx
lindablair
Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:56 pm 
Post subject:
erj74 wrote:
I am also not married - not a complicated situation but was worried how some people would react but everyone was really happy for me when we eventually announced it to the world at about 14 weeks. I also figured it was our business not theirs, we had decided that having a family was more important to us than getting married.

I spoke to my boss today, well, shes my good friend and it was off the record for now while I talk things out with the dad... and she was actually super excited for me and already started going on about hand-me-downs haha and I was so suprised. She said that of course work would support me and they'd be super please for me.

The strange thing is, that aside from the obvious "how will I cope and how do I afford a baby" issues that I had, the biggest one I had was that I was worried what people would think of me. I don't know why I got myself in such a state about it. It's not like I'm a teenager or anything anymore, I don't know why I was so worried about that kind of high school kinda paranoia haha.
erj74
Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:30 pm 
Post subject:
Glad it went well and your boss/friend were supportive - i think you'll find that the excitement of baby is pretty infectious!
I also think no matter what peoples situation we all have those how will i cope/afford a baby worries!!
Hope you sort everything out with the dad, take care of yourself and lets keep in touch
xx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular