Birth plan ??

catcrazy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:58 pm 
Post subject: Birth plan ??
Hi ladies,

I have seen my midwife today well A midwife I haven't seen the same one more than once!

Anyway she said that I should be thinking about a birth plan for the twins. Now its easy to find a birth plan for a singleton that I could use as a template but I haven't seen one yet for twins.

My question is did you have a birth plan and if so what was/is it??

Maria xx

Jennifer256
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:44 pm 
Post subject:
I had a birth plan for Archie and it wasn't even looked at and I just told them what I wanted, with Charlotte I just made sure I had made a note of the important things I wanted, like being told the sex, skin to skin asap, oh to cut cord but again I just told them what I wanted, nmake sure your birth partner knows what you want for all eventualities and fingers crossed it will go how you want it.

BUT

I tend to just wing things lol xx

catcrazy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:08 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks for your reply hun I was planning on doing what you did but I think if I have it down on paper then they will take me more seriously especially if I have pain relief and am a little high when barking my orders LOL xx

Jennifer256
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:07 pm 
Post subject:
The only thing I would say is to not put in 'I don't want......' as I have heard some midwives will try and hold you to is as you may just say things when in alot of pain.

ie if you write I definately don't want an epidural like my friend the mw tried talking her round for ages when all she really wanted at that point was an epidural!

I expect you will have more people at the birth with it being twins?

Although when I was induced a lady came in having twins and she got examined, the mw walked out the cubicle and she shouted her waters had just gone, they wheeled her to delivery and it felt like no more than 20 mins later the mw said she had twin girls!! Very quick and normal delivery I was amazed!x x

catcrazy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:33 pm 
Post subject:
Well I aint really asking too much I dont mind any type of pain relief at the end of the day in this day and age I personally dont see why we should suffer too much pain if there are things that can be done safely. I would love a natural delivery and if I can push I will however if I need a section then so be it the only thing I really dont want is the use of forceps xx

Jennifer256
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:18 pm 
Post subject:
That was the only thing I didn't want, forceps scare the heebies out of me! and heard to many horror stories of them, would rather have a c-section than forceps! xx

jennaxhx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:26 pm 
Post subject:
I didnt make a birth plan. Didnt really get a chance to either lol but tbh its a total waste of time with a twin pregnancy IMHO! As long as you have an idea in your mind of how you hope things go, i think thats all you need as a twin labour can go any way at all. I had no idea if i would be able to deliver naturally or anything until it came to pushing and at the beginning was asked what my plan for pain relief was (which was gas and air and pethidine and no epidural). Two minutes before giving birth i was begging for an epidural Laughing obviously couldn't get one though but it shows how much our ideas change once we are in the situation. I say wing it with a rough idea in your mind of pain relief, etc Smile xx

DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:26 am 
Post subject:
Maybe tell your OH if there are any things you definately do or don't want so he can speak to the midwives for you Question , towards the end when I was getting the really inrense contractions I couldn't talk, not because of the pain just because I was focusing on my breathing so much it was almost like I wasn't really there Laughing I have 4 friends who've had natural births with twins((two sets of identical girls and one set boy/girl ) 3 of them had other children first and all said the labour was the same as for a singleton with regards to pain and time and once the first was out the second came within minutes , the 4th it was her first labour , I watched one on the telly the other day and as the doc was handing the first to the nurse the second one shot out on it's own Shocked so FX you get that type of delivery xx
catcrazy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:52 am 
Post subject:
Thanks for your replies ladies Smile

Jennaxhx All I really want for the birth is to be able to stay as mobile as possible, for OH to cut the cords, both my birth partners to stay with me throughout (if its a section OH will be with me) and NO use of forceps I would rather have a section! As far as pain relief I am open to any form I will see how I go but I am not gonna rule anything out. Maybe I can put that in my maternity notes as I know that writing a strict birth plan is gonna be useless there are only a handful of things that I want to happen which listening to other BS I will be allowed anyway.

Nat I am better off telling my sister (She is the other birth partner) my OH would probably be trying to ask me how I felt and what I wanted LOL he is very supportive and is so looking forward to being a dad but he does tend to panic in some situations bless him LOL

Maria xx

DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:34 am 
Post subject:
Maria don't want to be the bearer of bad news as far as forceps go but generally if they're needed it's because baby is in the birth canal but stuck or not decending quickly enough and they are very reluctant to perform sections at that point as it can be more dangerous to pull baby back up , but ventouse is a much gentler option that can be tried first I've been at 2 births were ventouse was used, my SIL and my DD both after epidurals (epidurals increase your risk of needing assistance) and it's not so bad , yes you still have a small cut (but I had that with my first just because he kept slipping back and it healed fine) but you just have a small cap put on baby's head and you push and they pull , baby will have a bit of a lump after but nothing like what can happen with forceps, although forceps in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing shouldn't cause a problem but just looking at them makes me shudder Confused My sis had a baby that got stuck during a home birth ( no forceps available there ), the midwife suggested standing up and he shot out , so staying upright and mobile and standing or squatting for delivery is definately a good way to open up your pelvis and give baby maximum head room so to speak Laughing An open mind is the best way to go though but don't forget it's your labour and if you want to do something and they can't give you a really good reason for not doing it then I'd insist on doing it your way Smile xx
jennaxhx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:17 pm 
Post subject:
I dont know for definite that this will be the case but when I was in labour I was confined to a bed the entire time as they said they like to keep an eye on twins' heartbeats during labour. I can't say that is what they will want to do with you but dont be surprised if they do, which will stop you being able to move about unfortunately.

catcrazy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:53 pm 
Post subject:
Nat, I know that I have to be flexible but I really don't want them to use forceps on me the suction cup yes, but I would rather have a section!

Jennaxhx, I know that they will probably want to monitor the boys but I am hoping that I can at least sit on a birthing ball.

I havent written a plan as such just a few bullet points:

My birth partners, My fiance Pete and My sister Caroline, to stay with me at all times.
If I have a section then Pete is to be with me.
I want to be able to stay as mobile as possible and have the use of a birthing ball.
I don't want forceps to be used, I would rather have a section.
I am open to any form of pain relief
I would like Pete to cut the cords
I would like skin to skin as soon as possible
I would like to breast feed as soon as possible

I don't think that is too restricting xx

JulieWoo
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:48 pm 
Post subject:
Maria,
have a look at the AIMs web page. They have some great links and stories of twin births. |Really lovely gentle labours.

I suspect they will try and 'enforce' the CFM rule on you - BUT NICE guidelines state there is really no benefit, and you are far more likely to end up with a CS. They often try and pressure you into CFM with twins to cover their Trust Policy, and to protect themselves.

I really would avoid a epidural like the plague (esp with twins). You are far better off keeping mobile and upright. Leaning over the bed is good if you get tired. You will need a very strong birth partner if you dont want to be railroaded into unnecessary interventions.

http://www.aims.org.uk/
if you look under articles there is one called Twins Twice.

Brilliant site.
http://www.rcmnormalbirth.org.uk/stories/taxi-for-north-end-road/fetal-monitoring/

I would pin a copy of your birth plan to the labour room door (and on your notes) - and INSIST anyone that comes in READs it!
Be informed, and really think about what YOU want.

Love Julie x

Our baby Eleanor lost 6 Apr 10
catcrazy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:59 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks for that Julie, much appreciated xx

YoungDaddy
Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:20 pm 
Post subject:
my ex had her birth plan and was gona have a c section 2 weeks earlier than the due date but she ended up goin into labor quite early and by time she got hospital she was too late to have a c section so ended up givin birth to three kids naturally lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Twins, Triplets and Multiples All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Community

Popular