Too unusual?

Would you assume someone called Theo was actually Theodore but shortened?
Yes
36%
 36%  [ 4 ]
No
63%
 63%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 11
Luckyducky
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:28 pm 
Post subject: Too unusual?
Hi, I am 20 weeks with my first and my hubbie and I are debating names. I really like the name Theo for a boy, but don't want people assuming I mean Theodore, as I don't like that nearly as much. What do people think? Do you know any Theo's? Is it too unusual. Hubbie also likes Thea if it's a girl, but I'm not too sure about that, I think he's made the name up!!!

Any help appreciated.

LD
MaCCCa
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:43 pm 
Post subject:
Hate to say it but it reminds me of one of the Chipmunks from ALvin and the Chipmunks!!
Although it is a nice unusual name - I just think of Alvin!
Marien
Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:45 pm 
Post subject:
Ha! Laughing That's one of the names we are considering if we have a boy. Theo on its own is a nice name, it doesn't have to be short for anything, but it could be short for Theobald (I don't like that one so much) or Theodric (Scandinavian) as well as Theodore, which I think is nice, despite the chipmunk thing! I was badly teased about my name at school so I intend to be quite careful when choosing a name but I think Theo is safe! Very Happy
Marien
Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:47 pm 
Post subject:
Ps I know that Thea can be short for Althea or Anthea. There's lots of baby name websites you could look at, why not try, they're full of ideas and give name meanings which I think is nice.
mylillamb
Forum Leader
Forum Leader
Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:55 pm 
Post subject: xx
yeah i think it does sound like its shortened but never the less stil a lovly name xx
Kimberley20
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:40 pm 
Post subject:
theo reminds me of one of the dragons from dragons den??? anyone watch it???
kimberley xo
mylillamb
Forum Leader
Forum Leader
Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:42 pm 
Post subject: xx
yeah i new id hered it some were lucky name he cud be a millionaire lol xx
Kimberley20
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:44 pm 
Post subject:
i know, theo: rich, sucessful, and really not that bad looking, especially his bank balance!!!! lol!!! xo
cardea
Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:36 pm 
Post subject: Theo and Thea
Hello !

I know a Theo - i think it is a lovely name for a boy, but it really does remind my of the chipmonks ! I love the name Thea for a girl, it was one of my choices, but i am having a boy so its out of the window!!!!!.

Rest assured, your husband has not made the name up !!!! There is a singer called Thea Gilmore. Shes cool. It is also based on very old names such as the Goddess Athena. ( I think someone else might have mentioned this )

Good luck - we are still 'debating' boys names - i only have 3 weeks unitl D-day. We are going to see what he looks like when he is born ( maybe a bit wrinkly and grumpy !!!!!!!) X
Archie1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:52 pm 
Post subject:
Thea is lovely and one we thought of too for a girl. Theo I think sounds very distinguished like a shakespearean character or a wall street tycoon but very classy. My brother is just Ben but not Benjamin and no-one ever questioned whether it was shortened. I think nowadays you can get away with a lot more. I'm going for Beth for a girl but not Bethany or Elizabeth just plain Beth so I think Theo would be fine.
Good luck xx
whatasurprise
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:44 pm 
Post subject:
My friend had a baby last year and named him Theo - noone thinks he's a Theodore. The name really suits him - I think it's great - like Thea as well by the way!
xtine1985BScHons
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:40 pm 
Post subject:
I'm looking at Theo for my little boy as well, and I thought as a nickname he could be Teddy or Ted, I love the Little Women book and film one of my favourite childhood memories and seeing as I he's a he Teddy is the best character from it!
xx
caramumofmany
Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:41 pm 
Post subject:
i now know 2 theo's both of which are just that
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular