Where do I start??

Tilly28
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:41 am 
Post subject: Where do I start??
I really really need to start potty training my son, I'm having my second in february and really can't be
Doing with changing two lots of nappies, although I probably would still potty train him around now even if i weren't pregnant again.

So how do I start?? Do I just take away nappies completely and just put him some pants and trousers on or just pants without trousers or naked or what?? If we go to my parents house for example do I carry on the same there and take potty or leave the potty training for home time only?

Please help I have no clue!!!! Shocked xx

Angelcake71
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:59 am 
Post subject:
people have different methods.. in general boys take a bit longer.. so with them I used the training pants to start with.. then replaced them with real pants!!

for girls I started with real pants.. and used to put them on as part of a routine ie..
when they got up.. after breakfast.. after snack time elevnsis.. after lunch.. etc etc.. this was reduced once they started to get the hang of it.. then they would ask to go on the potty..

I used a reward star card as well.. if they did a wee or poo on the potty.. and then got a small pressie for them once they had reaced a certain number of stars..

hope that helps.. remember all kids are different.. what works for one may not for another.. make the process of using a potty fun..

I didnt like the idea of mine running about with no pants.. but I know some do this as part of potty training
Angel Baby due 21/6/2012 (m/c)
All 3 much loved and wanted xx
steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:52 pm 
Post subject:
i let my daughter run around with no pants on, and when she started to wee i would put her on the potty, i started with just evenings and weekends at home, then when she started going to the potty on her own i started with pants, then when we had pretty much cracked that i started taking her to the childminders in pants, but pull ups if we were going out.

she has been dry in the day since 20 months, has had a few accidents, but none for weeks now. we have struggled with poos, but she has been on the potty twice for a poo tonight so fx.

Shellm
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:47 pm 
Post subject:
Have you read Gina fords potty training book. I'm very sceptical of all these people saying what your child should be doing, but this book worked for my 2nd and 3rd children. If your child fulfils the criteria they are ready and it will take a week. It definitely worked for me.
Basically you build them up to sitting on the potty for a bit before you take the plunge then,
Day one - 3 ask every half hour if they need the potty, keep telling them they can use the potty etc. give a reward for having a wee.
Day 4 - take the potty upstairs to the bathroom and say to have wees up there. Don't ask your lo anymore they ask you.
By day 7 your child should be potty trained.
That's the theory, I think anyway, I did my last one 2 years ago and have given the book to my sister.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Nappies, Changing and Potty Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular