Working mums

Inexperienced
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:16 pm 
Post subject: Working mums
Just wondering if any other mums out there who do long hours and barely see their child/ren on days they work? I feel so guilty at the moment as see v little of my 16 month old Mon-Thu but nothing is going to change for time being as I am expecting baby no 2 so need to stick it out at current employer at least until I have the new baby. Just feeling v guilty.
Vix101
Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:40 pm 
Post subject:
Bit of a late response but didn't wanna read and run. I'm not in your position but just think that you have to work to support your child, it can't be easy not seeing much of them but they receive the benefits of you working as you have the money to buy them things, and you provide the house where they live and sleep. It's not a great situation but you have to work to live. Smile
MrsOz
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:36 pm 
Post subject:
I am a working mum - and I too feel guilty. I also find that when the weekend comes I have to ask for an hour in the afternoon for a nap because I am so tired. Having said that when we are together everything I do is for and about Evie. Housework generally goes out the window and we are constantly playing or learning together. Any shopping / tasks I need to do I make it as fun for her as much as possible so a quick nip to the shops becomes an hours run around and play in the supermarket for both of us.
I have no choice - I am the breadwinner (3 times my husbands wage) so I pay for everything and try to be the best mummy I can. Not easy but it is unfortunately the society I feel that I am forced to live Sad

xx
Inexperienced
Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:20 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks for the replies. Mrs Oz, I know exactly what you mean - I try and spend ALL my time with my son on weekends and it can be exhausting! I'm not sure I'd be happy to be a SAHM personally but at same time I think I need a better balance when going back after next maternity leave - we'll have to see if the finances allow it...
KathG
Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:07 pm 
Post subject:
I am currently pregnant with my first (was due yesterday but still waiting) and I already worrying about leaving him to go to work. I work 12 hour shifts and also have about half hour traveling time each way. It means that on the days I am working he will still be in bed when I leave and be back in bed before I am home. So I wont see him at all. I had my mum around 24/7 when I was young and I feel bad that it wont be like that for my kids. I will also need to go back to work when he is around 6 months - which seems so young to me. But I keep reminding myself that I want him to have nice clothes toys/ be able to take him on holidays and give him nice childhood memories - that will need to be paid for. I think in this day its very lucky to be able to afford to stay at home and many of us have to be working mums. But I know how you feel - I feel the exact same and he is not even born yet lol.
LauraG
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:02 pm 
Post subject:
i think its normal feeling guilty but u r providing for ur child so dont feel guilty for that. and u do still get time with ur child so make sure that time is qualty time.

LouiseW111
Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:42 pm 
Post subject:
I'm due back at work in 3 weeks and am not looking forward to not seeing much of her on my days in the office. But I think I would be so unhappy as a stay at home mum that being at work will make me a better mum! Luckily I can work from home 2 days a week and work flexible hours so I'm hoping I can see as much of her as possible!

Don't feel guilty...it's one of the things we have to reconcile. Women of our generation grew up being told we can do it all...but the truth is, we have to make sacrifices that most men don't (a massive generalisation I know, as some men do give up work too.)

Jump to:  

Community

Popular