Can i hear your IVF Stories????

charleelou
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:11 pm 
Post subject: Can i hear your IVF Stories????
Hi All

I know there has been lots of IVF babies & Twins on here so please could i hear your story? How you found it? How long did it take? How many goes have you had? Where are you based?

Thanks ladies xxx
nutty1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:53 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Charlee,

Well we paid privately for treatment because the nhs changed the guidelines in our area meaning we wasnt entitled any more. We are based in Hertfordshire.

We did long protocol Ivf with Icsi ( o/h's sperm sample was borderline on results), there was nothing wrong with me apart from only having 1 tube which may be blocked again. When you do Ivf itll either be long or short protocol, short protocol is normally when you have other female issues such as poor egg reserve. Long protocol involves sending your ovaries to sleep - I did this with going on the pill first and then starting a down regulation drug to shut things down. (thats the simplest way I can think of putting it) Once youve down regulated successfully you then start stimulating.

I started down regulating on the pill around mid cycle (cant quite remember) in June last year, after a week or so doing that I believe I then started the down regulating injections. Then had to wait for my period to show up and had a scan on around cd 5 of the new cycle. They confirmed I had down regulated enough to begin stimulating drugs, so then I continued 1 down regulating drug a day and 1 stimulating drug. Had regular scans (about 3 ) through out July where they tracked the growth of the follicles. Once they were all at the correct size I then had to stop the injections and begin taking progesterone pessaries (I used them up my bum lol) and then 36 hrs before egg collection you take a 'trigger' shot to mature the eggs. That gets done with sedation so you dont remember anything, you are then sent home and receive daily progress reports on your fertilised eggs. When they are transferred depends on how well they are doing and how many you have etc.. Transfer normally takes place either on day 2 or day 3 or if theyre looking good day 5 when they reach blastocyst. Its then a wait of anywhere between 9 and 14 days till testing.

Hope you can understand all that lol. Oh my test date was around 23rd of August so from start to finish long protocol ivf takes 6-8 weeks.
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:55 pm 
Post subject:
Almost forgot to say round 1 we had 1 blastocyst transferred and got a negative, we were lucky enough to get 11 blastocysts to freeze , we then did a frozen cycle and had 2 embryos put back again it didnt work. We then did a 2nd frozen cycle and had 1 embryo put back and it worked Very Happy Im now 23 weeks pregnant.
Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:44 pm 
Post subject:
Thank you so much for your reply and im so glad you got your BFP!!!!

I feel like iv been that focussed on getting the referal from the hospital and excited about it, i havent really actually thought about the process and what will happen etc. Im a bit scared im automatically associating IVF with a BFP and im going to end up been hurt and down in the dumps AGAIN!!

I know the doctors and people can speak about it but i would much rather hear off people that have actually been through it! I think we will get 2 goes on the NHS (we meet the criteria but are waiting for the letter to come through!) but we have said we will probably be able to pay for 2 more goes if it doesnt work.

Has anyone had any hollistic treatments or hypntherpay etc? Its all things we have looked at but dont know what i think about it all really x
CC78
Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:53 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Charlene,

We have been through 4 cycles and were successful on our 4th, am now 12 weeks pregnant! Our first 3 cycles were self funded through NHS (we did qualify but i refused to wait a further 3years on a waiting list having already been trying for 3years!) and 4th was private clinic. We are based in Scotland.

We were categorised as 'unexplained' and for long time continued to try naturally, we then reached point where we decided to give IVF a go. Our first cycle was regular IVF because sperm sample looked ok. We started on long protocol, similar to Claire it was process of down regulating (shutting things down) via a 4x a day nasal spray on day 21 of cycle. About a week after I had a period then bout week after that scan to check everything shut down then stimmulation started via daily injections. This was for about 8 days before they then carry out the egg retrieval. Unfortunately in our case we had a phone call the next morning to say we had zero fertilisation. Gutted doesn't even begin to explain how we felt. They then knew there was a problem and next cycle would definitely be ICSI.

Cycle 2 was same long protocol, ths time using ICSI, we achieved 9 fertilised embryos. They took them all to day 5 where 2 remained and we had those two put back. We had 14 days to wait before carrying out pregnancy test which was unfortunately negative.

Cycle 3 was basically same as cycle 2 but they changed the drugs they gave me for the stimulation stage. We had a poor response and only had 3 collected. All 3 fertilised and 2 made it to day 5, we had those 2 put back and again waited 14 days, again negative result.

Cycle 4 through the private clinic was again the long protocol but their downregulating was done with one single injection on day 21 of my cycle. (So much easier!) They used a different drug combination for the stimulation phase, still through daily self injections, and we had 8 eggs collected. The clinic we went to use an Eeva machine which basically predicts which embryos are most likely to go on to viable pregnancy. It's a separate incubator which uses photos to make its predictions. We had a 3 day transfer this time again with 2 embryos and initially both took. We lost one though at about 8 weeks so now have a healthy singleton pregnancy!

I had acupuncture and I used hypnotherapy on our 4th cycle. Because I'd been going through it for such a long time the hypnotherapy really helped me get in right frame of mind and I found it very relaxing. I can't say for sure it made a difference but it certainly did no harm!

Sorry for mammoth post!! Hope it helps xx
charleelou
Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:30 pm 
Post subject:
Oh my god I'm so happy for you & I don't even know you!!! Iv sobbed my heart out reading that!!

I honestly don't know how youve kept picking yourself up time & time again!! I have to admit I'm getting impatient now. We've been trying for 3 & a half years and if nothing has happened with the clinc by November were going to go private. We're getting married in 9 weeks so it's "supposed to take my mind off it all" ypu all know it doesn't!! Nothing does!!

But your journey was worth it, your now 23 weeks pregnant Smile

What would you say is the hardest part?? Obviously apart from it not working!! Was it the medication? The actually procedure?

Youve defo made my mind up on the hypnotherapy now to!! Xxxx
CC78
Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:44 pm 
Post subject:
Sorry I didn't mean to make u sob! Lol

In all honesty the hardest part for me was the wait after the embryo transfer. I can honestly say that I found the actual medication part ok because u are actively doing something and the self injections were totally fine. In fact by the time the 4th cycle came along I was almost looking forward to the injections! (I'm a weirdo I know). But the wait was hard for me because there is nothing u can do at that stage! Up till then your distracted with taking the meds, going for scans, trying to eat and drink all the right things to build up those healthy eggs etc.

I guess the other hard part for me was the phone calls after the egg collection. But I think that is probably just to do with our situation initially and that fear remained with me through every subsequent cycle.

The hypnotherapy is def worth a try and actually not that expensive because most will make u a cd or mine made a recording on my phone of a hypno session I had with her so u can take it away and do as often as u feel like it.

You have lots to look forward to with your wedding coming up but I know what you mean about your mind never forgetting! I lived and breathed fertility for 6 years but the journey is worth it and never give up hope. It's all that kept me going through some very very dark days. Xx
charleelou
Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:13 am 
Post subject:
Dont worry it was a happy sob!!!

Yeah i can imagine that must be so difficult and im not the most patient of people!!

You say about eating the right foods? What were/are these? Sorry if i appear quite dumb about it all but i think its a bit unfair your "referred for IVF" and thats about as much as we have been told, anything else i know is because me & OH have looked into it etc.

The hypnotherapy i had seen was a CD, did you actually go and see someone?

Sorry for all the questions!! xx Embarassed
CC78
Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:00 am 
Post subject:
Don't worry, ask as many questions as u like. I agree that it's not great the way u are just referred with no guidance.

Yes I went to see someone for the hypnotherapy, I liked the idea that they could personlise the recording for me rather than the generic ones.

In terms of foods etc, I'm not sure I'm the best person to ask because I'd be the first to admit that I took it too far! I cut out all caffeine and switched to red bush, peppermint and fruit teas. I also cut out pretty much all sugar, well as much as u can do, I didn't drink any sugary drinks or eat any sweets or chocolate. I tried to eat really well (take aways were banned for while!) making sure had lots of fruit and veg. I also upped my protein, eating chicken, fish, beans at every meal. I added nuts and seeds to my diet too ( which I don't even really like that much!). The protein thing was quite difficult for me as not huge fan of meat etc but just got used to it. I also made sure I drank my 2litres of water every day.

Xx
charleelou
Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:17 am 
Post subject:
Yeah i feel that they just say yeah your referred and thats it.

Did you ever see the programme "The Baby Makers?" That was fantastic and i loved it. Got loads of infro from that.

Well i have googled hypnotherapy before posting on here and found a woman in Shropshire and was debating what to do but i nowhave a consultation next Thursday evening, Its not a session just to speak to the lady and see what i think and go from there so im intregued to see what i think!! I think i want to get my head sorted with a lot of stuff iv been carrying round for a while before we get into thr nitty gritty IVF hypnotherapy!

Regarding the diet i do a lot of that already, Im on weight watchers (for the wedding dress) so dont really have sugar and takeawys etc) Had already thought of definately cutting caffine out as i think it can only help! I do love my coffee though Sad

We sound very similar as im not a huge fan of meat, especially red meat but i will need to force myself a nbit more i think!!
fc79
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:13 pm 
Post subject:
Hi, I did short protocol.

I was 28 and dh 27 when we started ttc, both very healthy weekend social drinkers, non smokers, ideal weight and good diet and lifestyle. I gave up drinking for ttc and we assumed it would happen pretty quickly. After a few months I suspected we must have a problem so went to the docs after 9 months of trying. Luckily she took me seriously and didnt fob me off, she said the first thing to do is rule out a male factor problem so sent a dh for a semen analysis. We got a call back to the doctor to discuss the results so knew there must be a problem. It was devastating news, he had a count of less than 1 million, too few for further analysis was all that was on the form.

Anyway, our only option was icsi and we got a bit of luck with our pct reducing the age criteria (it had previously only been offered to women aged 36-39!!) They reduced it to 30 and we waited to get referred on my 30th birthday!

We had our 1 shot at icsi in March 2010, 2 years after we started ttc, so it all moved really quickly for us, probably cos there was such a clear cut reason for our trouble concieving.

My tests were all fine and I was put on the short protocol, apparently cos I had lots of follicles and would be at risk of hyperstimulating. short protocol means you miss out down reg and go straight to stimms, I responded well and think I was stimming for around 8 days. I produced 15 eggs of which 9 fertilised and by day 3 we had 6 seemingly perfect embryos all where they should be with between 6-8 cells.

We had one 'perfect' 8 cell put back and felt very positive. Unfortunatley the morning of my pregnancy test I started bleeding and got a bfn. I was devastated, we were so sure that ivf was our solution and it would work.

It took a while to pick ourselves up, but we did and we still had our 5 frozen embryos. In August 2010 I did a natural frozen cycle, no drugs, just tested for ovulation and had 2 embryos put back. This time success!!! We have one perfect little boy who is now a naughty 2 year old!!

We have since had 2 more trys with the 3 remaining mbryos and both BFN. So it makes him even more of a miracle.

My one big piece of advice I wish we had known is how much both sets of ingredients matter! ie the sperm needs to be the best it can be as well as the egg quality. I followed all the advice cuttin out caffiene and alcohol, upping protien eating really healthy etc, but we kind of assumed that as long as we had some sperm to fertilise the eggs that was all that mattered and we took icsi as ourmiracle treatment that would give us our baby abd didnt think too much about the quality of the sperm. (he had been on all sorts of vitamins and strict eating plan to get the count up previously but we relaxed all that thinking it didnt matter as we were having icsi)

Im sorry I've waffled, hope that all makes sense!

I wish you the best of luck with it all.
JakesMommy
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:50 pm 
Post subject:
finding this thread rly helpful as you will see from my ticker im due to start IVF very soon so reading the advise and experiences is rly helpful Smile
Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:34 am 
Post subject:
Thank you so much to everyone for your posts, There really helful x
icsiHope
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:06 am 
Post subject:
Hiya
We strated TTc #1 in 2007 with 4 miscarriages i do not have regular cycles, oh had a cyst in his testicle when he was 7 and had surgery which lowered his sperm count and it then returned in early 2011 which he had surgery on again just as we were strating IVF so had ICSI instead. We were given a 16% chance with IVF 22% chance of having a successful pregnancy with ICSI.
We did the long protocol where i had to sniff a hormone twice daily then a few weeks later when i had a bld test to say i down regulated successfully i then started daily inj to stimulate ovaries. During this you have regular scans and bld tests to make sure they have you on the right dose. Half way through they halfed my dose and then a day later they told me to stop taking as had 22 follicles on just one ovary. Then i had one off inj 36 hours before egg collection. I had 33 mature eggs that were collected and all of them fertilised. I had a 5 day blast transfer which i nearly had to freeze as i was having symptoms of OHSS, but as i has 17 blasts fit for freezer they ok'd to go ahead. I had 1 top grade blast transfer, I had alot of pain due OHSS within the first 6 weeks of pregnancy. Our gorgeous lil man was born last year. I would do everything all over again, as hard as it is during the process it is so worth it Smile
I did do a thread that was my daily diary on here when i started IVF
Good luck with your Journeys x
Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:43 am 
Post subject:
Thank you so much to you all,its so helpful ready your stories and starting to understand the journey. Still not had anything through from the hospital but im going to try and focus on our wedding now as its only 8 weeks away.

Im hoping that the timing will work out ok when we come back from the wedding and we will start getting the treatment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> IVF & Sterilisation Reversal All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Community

Popular