rent arrears, should i let garrantour pay?

callyann91
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:17 am 
Post subject: rent arrears, should i let garrantour pay?
I know at first of it sounds harsh, and even more so when I say my biological father is garrentour but please read and take all into considderation. Firstly I'm in about 1 and a half k arrears because my husbands job messed him about and now we can't afford to pay, we have a two yr old and we are trying to move home because this house is in dire condition and the landlord will do nothing about it also we want to add another to our family and there is barely enough room for the 3 of us. Now my biological father agreed to be garrentour after 14 years of no contact whatsoever this is when I was 18 am 20 now he never helped my mum when he was around he just cheated on her then eventually left when I was 4 for the woman who is now his wife in the 14 years of no contact neither him or the family made any attempt for contact and he never paid any child maintenence to my fantastic mum. They got in touch because my dads father found out I was having Oliver so we were in contact from April 09 and it was only my grandad who made any real effort he died in January 2010 since then things have just gone even more downhill he never came to my wedding none of the family did he is always te/ling me how dissapointed of me he is when i do ever speak to him, he lets his wife verbally abuse me and call my little man names never invites me to family occasions I haven't even spoken to him since march he just ignores me or says he is working but somehow he maneges to take my younger brother for weekends away and trips out on a regular basis but he can't POP down for a brew (we don't have a car he does) he earns a lot of money and i mean a lot so how much would it hurt to just move and let him foot the bill ? I'm sure my brother could do without a weekend at alton towers or another holiday to Disneyland when I never had anything I think I should just let him pay and just dissregard the whole family they clearly don't like me and arent at all interested. If I just move the garrantour must pay any rent arrears don't they ? Sorry its so long I just needed to explain and I think he deserves a kick in the you know what's
AmyAndMark
Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:56 am 
Post subject:
Hi ya
From what u hav said I agree a kick in the 'u know whats' would be a lovely thing to giv him, but I gotta say be careful about letting him pay ur arrears. He could take action to reclaim the money from u and in all honesty would probably win in small claims if it went that far. Also do u want the hassle of being chased for money if u r prenant or caring for a small baby?
Good luck x

LauraG
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:03 am 
Post subject:
personally if your not wanting any further contact with him i wudnt let him pay the bill i wud rather be the better person and stop contact knowing that uev done nothing wrong where as he has.

im so sorry your in this situation and i hope things look up for u and ur family soon.

Angelcake71
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:26 pm 
Post subject:
Smile I agree.
Its not as cut and dried as that.. this man will likely take you to court and you will get a ccj against you which isnt good..
Angel Baby due 21/6/2012 (m/c)
All 3 much loved and wanted xx
DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:45 am 
Post subject:
I think despite what you've said it would be ridiculous to let him pay your rent , he might not be a good father but as you were young when your parents split then you don't know exactly what went on and it's irrelevant anyway when it comes to this issue, this is your debt not his and he was good enough to act as a garantor for you and the fact he earns a lot probably means he works hard people dont tend to get well paid jobs handed to them on a plate , your landlord would take you both to court if your dad then paid so as to avoid a CCJ he would be well within his rights to come after you through the courts for the money and if it was me I would .His attitude and the money YOU owe for whatever reason are two totally different subjects and if you can't even pay the rent on this place i don't understand why you're trying to find somewhere bigger and considering another baby Question
Believe me I can understand wanting to get back at him for abandoning you my dad did the same when I was a child and then turned up years later and expected everything to be fine and it wasn't Confused but to be honest I think you're just using your feelings about what he did when you were a child and perhaps the fact you feel he's abandoned you again as an excuse to get out of paying your debt ,if you do what you're suggesting you're just going to play into his hands xx
Jennifer256
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:31 am 
Post subject:
I agree with Laura, I would be the better person and pay it myself somehow. I wouldn't want him to be able to say anything about me! x x

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Your Finances All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular