Am I doing this right?

abbie29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:07 pm 
Post subject: Am I doing this right?
We started to put Isobel on her potty just to get her used to it a couple of months ago but she has weed and pooed it in so the last couple of weeks we've been using it more and more. Today, for example, we left her nappy and trousers off. She goes and sits on her potty if she needs a wee, and does one, we reward her and go bonkers on praise. She did this morning with no problems. I went out, took the potty with me and sat her on it twice but she didn't go, got home and she was still dry (we're using pull up pants to try and make her feel more grown up and she loves them). She did a wee before nap, was dry through her nap for 90 minutes etc. She still has 'accidents' in her pull up pants but if she runs around without her nappy on, she'll go to the potty if she needs to go.

I suppose my question is, what do I do next? She sometimes says 'Mummy, wee wee' as she goes over to the potty and does a wee so I think she is getting the idea. Shall I just carry on as we are and then get into putting her pants on and getting her to pull them down? (She can do this now but she doesn't think to do it before she goes, which is why we've let her run around with no pants on).

I know she's still very young, I'm in no hurry, just want to help her as best I can!

Thanks for your help!!!
Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:02 pm 
Post subject:
your doing exactly the same as me except kate hates the potty so we bought her a wee padded seat for the toilet. shes now only having the very odd accident she is wearing cotton pants at home and rarely doesnt tell us she needs a wee, but outside shes still in pull ups but she still tells us if she needs to go. tbh iv just taken my ques from her, she prefers cotton pants but knows to tell us if she needs to go.

so maybe you could let her wear big girl pants round the house to let her get used to them and keep asking if she needs to go so she gets the hint to tell you?
Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:36 am 
Post subject:
Thank you, I think that's what we'll do. She's quite confident with going and sitting on it when she's needs to so we'll carry on like that for a bit!
Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:28 pm 
Post subject:
I agree with rhoo - the big thing for Evie was that she wanted to wear big girls pants, so I took her shopping to buy some (Hello Kitty ones, no surprise there! lol!)

I would also say don't be afraid of accidents. It is helps the process to make the girls aware of being wet and wetting their clothes then having to get changed, and the importance of going to the potty. Even now Evie will occasionally have accidents, so if I am going out, I bribe her to have a wee or a poo for a treat Embarassed . Works every time so that she goes on my demand, as well as when she needs it Laughing I will then systematically ask Evie if she needs to go to the toilet, she will think about it then say yes or no. I have also wised up that when she does stinky farts she will need to go soon!

Well done Kate and Izzy!

xx

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Nappies, Changing and Potty Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular