advice on mouldy rented house, ruined my furniture

Aprilxxkayne
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:33 pm 
Post subject: advice on mouldy rented house, ruined my furniture
Can anyone offer me any advice. Sorry for the long story
I moved into my bungalow the end of september 2009, it was fine that winter but the winter of 2010 it started getting damp and slight mould behind large furniture, like the bed, wardrobes etc. i cleaned it off and painted over it and it seemed fine. It didnt come back all summer. But as soon as the cold weather has kicked in again it is awful now. Basically just after christmas i moved my sofas into the middle of the living room because it started to smell. My sofas completely covered one wall of the living room. The carpet was really wet and fury with mould and it was all up the walls, I took some pictures and cleaned it all of with bleach so now my carpet is a funny colour and rang my landlady as i am sick of it.
I told her about it the first time around october time and she told me to paint over it with gloss and it wouldnt come back, although it was only slight mould. So after finding it this bad i emailed her the pictures and so she seems ok about getting the work done, although i told her about it a month ago now and ive still not had a builder round as she said the drainage needed looking at first so dynorod have been out and fixed some of the drains.
Well since this the mould has now grown onto my sofa which i bought last november time for 600, the curtain, i noticed a bit on Kaynes pram so i washed it all. I havent yet moved the big furnishing in the bedroom to see if it has ruined those but im sure it has.
So ive told my landlord to which she said her insurance doesnt cover any of my belongings, but surely it should if its the house that has ruined my stuff. I dont have house insurance.
Is there anything i can do about my furnishings. HELP Crying or Very sad

I really dont want to move out as i live in a gorgeous village and trying to find a 2 bed house in a village for 450 a month is so hard and i cant afford to pay more, plus i have pets.

April

Aprilxxkayne
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:39 pm 
Post subject:
Sorry forgot to mention i currently have mould on one complete wall about 2ft up, slightly on the ceeling and in another corner of the living room. the bathroom is tiled from floor to ceeling but has mould quite bad in one corner. My bedroom has mould and wet wallpaper above the window and mould below (ive not yet moved the bed or wardrobe) and in kaynes bedroom he has mould on the ceeling in a corner and in a bottom corner too. Now i do keep cleaning it off and have even bought a dehumidifier to try and help. Also the first 2 rows of bricks outside are wet.
Crying or Very sad Help please

BabyMilly
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:09 pm 
Post subject:
Have you tried a de-humidifier? If your in rented accommodation your landlord should provide one.
Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:12 pm 
Post subject:
Oops, sorry, just noticed you already tried a dehumidifier.

Do you have wet clothes drying around the house???
Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:14 pm 
Post subject:
i have a few on a clothes horse but none on radiators and i dry most of it in the tumble dryer. I just dont know if i have any rights to make my landlord pay for the damage to my things

Aprilxxkayne
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:17 pm 
Post subject:
Also im not sure if the problem is because all the radiators are on inside walls and i only have a log burner in the living room?

jennaxhx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:25 pm 
Post subject:
Do you put your heating on to a high temp regularly in winter? I was suffering with mould and condensation last winter in my flat and my heaters didnt work properly at the time. They only heated up to a warm temp. I got them fixed at end of the summer so they now get really hot and thiswinter my house has been dry as a bone Smile

EmzyLouPlusThree
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:29 pm 
Post subject:
when i have privately rented it was in my contract i had to get my own contents insurance, not sure if thats standard though, but she really really does have to get your place sorted, i would phone enviromental health to asses your home they will then send a report to your landlord saying it has to be done asap, (my friend had to do this) xx
Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:32 pm 
Post subject:
Yeah meant to say, your contents arent covered by her landlords insurance so unfortunately its only the damage to the building that she will be obligated to deal with x

lilgem81
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:07 pm 
Post subject:
Can't help you with your belongings but you need to be on the phone to her everyday until she's sorts it or like someone else said ring environmental health as its not just going to go away and if you don't get it sorted it'll just happen again next winter.

Aprilxxkayne
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:08 pm 
Post subject:
thanks everyone, so even though the mould is down to the property not being kept properly i cant claim from her for my stuff?

I think i will ring CAB tomorrow and see if they can do anything. But she doesnt seem to have a problem with doing the work its just weve had to have dyno rod out to do the drains first incase that was causing the bricks to get damp, but theyve only done the drainage from the kitchen and bathroom not the soakaways from the drainpipes as they couldnt get the cameras down so now they are coming again to try and sort the others out. I think she was hopeing that was causing the problem.

Jennah my heating is set to 20/21 throughout the day and night and comes on once it gets below that and it does get red hot but the radiators are on the inside walls and normally there under windows.

I was just hopeing i could make a claim for my stuff thats gone mouldy, a friend of a friend had a similar problem (she got mould in her flat from a leaking pipe that ruined all her built in wardrobe and clothes etc) and her landlord replaced it all.
xxx

steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:24 pm 
Post subject:
Aprilxxkayne wrote:

I was just hopeing i could make a claim for my stuff thats gone mouldy, a friend of a friend had a similar problem (she got mould in her flat from a leaking pipe that ruined all her built in wardrobe and clothes etc) and her landlord replaced it all.
xxx

when i had a council flat the flat upstairs had a leak (only small but dripping for ages before i realised) and it ruined my furniture and clothes and i tried to claim off the council and they said I would have to claim off my contents insurance (which i didnt have) and they would claim off the council.

Aprilxxkayne
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:40 am 
Post subject:
oh well looks like ill just have to replace it myself, it'll teach me a lesson for not having house insurance x

teehopes
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:45 am 
Post subject:
Do you have contents insurance? you might be covered with that? xx
Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:57 am 
Post subject:
teebshoping wrote:
Do you have contents insurance? you might be covered with that? xx

nope but i will be getting it now, teach me a lesson for not having it Confused

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Community

Popular