2.5yr old, need to get rid of dummy!

hlb
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:39 pm 
Post subject:
Hi,

I had a similar thing and my little one had a dummy until just over 2 years, he loved it and only a couple of times managed to sleep without it. He gave it up during the day first and when I got told he didn't need it at nursery for naps I took it away. Quite scary really - for me that is! I think it was more my comfort of knowing that would calm him down.
He cried quite a bit the first night although after the first night didn't ask for it as he soon realised it was gone for good. Did struggle to get back to sleep when he woke in the night but I guess that's just a new skill he had to learn.
Personally I think I'd wait until after all the travelling, anything to make that easier.

you could always write a letter to santa and get her to post it to him in exchange for presents? My friend did that and it worked a treat!

Good luck!
x
Hana22
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:59 am 
Post subject:
A bit relieved to hear I'm not the only one having trouble. My lo is 3 in 5 months and she will not give hers up for anything. Tried taking it off her in the day by putting it in the draw and she would turn up with another one in her mouth , she had been stashing them around the house little monkey ! She talks with it in her mouth drives me mad cos I can't hear her properly. She's been 2 days and nights without it in the past and then on 3rd day had biggest tantrum ever lasted well over an hour and she got so worked up she was getting in a right state holding her breath crying and screaming so she had it back which I kick myself about because she was doing so well. But I don't know if this has happened to any of ur little ones but my daughters teeth seems to have arched ??? Like wore away and when she shuts her teeth together her front ones don't touch , her fangs do and leaves a big gap at the front which is causing problems for her to eat , especially bread cos she can't rip it with her front teeth cos they don't meet! Trying the dummy fairy technique at Xmas as she's mad on them at the minute , lucky for us we have a fairy forest up the woods by us, it's a tiny little forest and there's all glitter on the floor and little doors, windows and stairs carved into the trees and washing lines with fairy clothes, we have wrote a letter explaining why they need her dummies to use to make things and she's agreed to take them up there at Xmas wen we go to get our tree !!! Fingers crossed for this time!!! Smile

fuzzyferret
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:54 am 
Post subject:
Hi ladies. Was just browsing the site, didn't realise there had been any new replies on this thread so just found it by surprise!
Well getting rid of her dummy was one of the best things we have ever done. I felt so proud once it was gone, and think she coped really well.
We waited til we arrived back in NZ after our holiday in UK, so she was 2yrs 9months. We landed back on a Wednesday and it was Easter that weekend, so spoke to her about how the Easter Bunny would come while she was asleep and hide chocolate eggs and treats in the garden in return for her dummy. In the morning, I dashed into her room soon as I heard her awake, whisked the dummy away before she had even realised and then we went on the egg hunt at 7am in pyjamas Smile When she first asked for it again we explained about the bunny, and was fine. Think we had a couple of days and nights being unsettled and asking for it at bedtime, but I was so surprised at how well she took it. Although I hated her having the dummy, I am glad in a way that we waited til she was old enough to fully understand.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> One Year to Five Years All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

Community

Popular