Bit of breastfeeding advise

Clairebell29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:32 pm 
Post subject: Bit of breastfeeding advise
George is now nearly 7 weeks old and has started going longer between feeds. So far I have just been letting him decide when he wants to be fed, is this the right thing to do or should I be making him have a ''routine''. He is gaining weight well.
Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:00 pm 
Post subject:
Hi, I would feed him on demand, it might affect your supply if you try and implement a routine xx
Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:42 am 
Post subject:
My wee man started to get himself into a little bit of a routine around 4-5 months, but before that I pretty much fed on demand. At that age he was pretty much feeding every 3 hours until the early evening when he was most definatly demanding more!!
Some ladies swear by a routine, but you have to do what works for you.

Clairebell29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:17 pm 
Post subject:
The thing that is worrying me is that he is going too long between feeds in the day. Sometimes 5 - 6 hours! Was wondering whether to wake him in the daytime, perhaps every four hours.
Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:25 pm 
Post subject:
I would definitely wake him, I personally wouldnt let him go over three hours. He recently had problems with weight gain didn't he? I would wake him through the night every three hours as well.

Cx
Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:39 pm 
Post subject:
No he has been gaining weight fine but think he is getting himself a bit back to front and going longer during the day and shorter periods at night. It takes a lot to settle him during the day as he is colicky and think by the time he goes to sleep he is so tired.

I still find it hard to know when he is hungry rather than jsut has wind pain or over tired etc. He will pretty much always go on the breast.
Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:56 pm 
Post subject:
It is hard to know why they are crying Claire, it took me a good 4 months to work out why Charlotte was crying, i was trying to breastfeed her at timeswhen she was tired. It will get easier. Apologies about the weight comment, think I got you confused with someone else.

I would definitely feed him more often in the day, it will top him up and hopefully he will go a little longer during the night (altho Charlotte used to feed 2 hours around the clock around the same age). You will probably find he cluster feeds between 5pm and 11pmish, if he does, this is perfectly normal.
Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:25 pm 
Post subject:
If he isn't feeding much during the day I would probably wake him up. Every 3-4 hours would be appropriate. Make your day feeds fun- lots of eye contact, talking and cuddling, but make your night feeds all business- just feed, change and put back to bed. This helps to teach them the difference between day and night.
It is really hard to know what they want when they cry in the beginning. My wee man was an awful daytime sleeper and he would cry because he was tired, but I would just feed him! In the end when he was about 3 months he would get so cross with me for trying to put my boob in his mouth when he didn't want it!

Clairebell29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:23 pm 
Post subject:
Have been waking him for his feeds and this has resulted in him going through the night 11.30/12.00 - 6-7.30. Lady from breast feeding network advised most breastfed Babies feed around 8-12 times a day and I've been feeding him 8 times a day.
Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:04 am 
Post subject:
i feed my daughter on demand

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Feeding and Weaning All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular