Advice from any breastfeeding mummies please!!

Kimmy0908
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:42 pm 
Post subject: Advice from any breastfeeding mummies please!!
Lucas was exclusively breastfed until he was six months old, when we started BLW. That's going fine, and I still breastfeed on demand. At about 7 weeks old, he started taking the very occasional bottle of ebm from DH, but it wasn't a daily occurrance. LO was 8 weeks old at our wedding and had a couple of bottles during the ceremony and directly after, but was back on the breast after a couple of feeds. Then at around 12 weeks, he started refusing a bottle if we tried to give him one, we tried changing the teats and flow etc but all to no avail. We bought him a cup at 4m old and at first he was fine with it, would drink a little water and occasionally ebm - but after a few weeks, went back to refusing it and will only take breast milk "straight from the taps" as it were. He'll try grabbing at our glasses/cups but wont drink from anything with a teat/or a spout! So, I was wondering if anyone had any experience or advice on how to get him drinking from a cup!! Anyone? Help

libertytmk
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:43 pm 
Post subject:
Have you tried the free flow cups? To be honest I think it might be a case of just trying them out. I wouldn't make a big thing of it but leave them laying round the house with water in and see if you lo will start to use it after its been there for a while.

Strict blw (so to speak) does suggest you just give them a normal cup from the start although I have to admit that I haven't because I couldn't stand the thought of the water everywhere. It is another possibility though

Kimmy0908
Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:51 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks for the reply Very Happy

I did, as recommended with BLW, give him a normal cup but must admit, when he showed zero interest I stopped bothering. I'll start offering it again, and do what you said and just start leaving the cups around for him. It's my own fault, as I'm the one who stopped offering bottles/cups when he seemed less interested.... I should've stuck with it. Still, lesson learned!!

Edit - I have only just realised by "proper cup" you mean an actual cup and not a beaker, which is what I was offering. (sorry, being slow) yes, he is interested in proper cups, especially if I am drinking from one, but all he does is drown himself with it and then scream Rolling Eyes I guess that's another thing I should just learn to live with. Thanks again!

Last edited by Kimmy0908 on Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
jane1978
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:15 pm 
Post subject:
have you tried a doidy cup ? its a small plastic open cup thats slanted so less likely to spill x
Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:38 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks Jane Smile I hadn't even heard of a doidy cup (clueless mummy alert) but just googled and they look great - well worth a shot, anyway. So have ordered one and hopefully, I can get him: A, interested in using it, and B, able to use it without drowning himself, the cat, or me!! Can't wait for it to arrive now....thanks again! x

jane1978
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:42 pm 
Post subject:
hope it works ! my LO loved hers when she was younger Very Happy. She has a sports bottle thou now as she runs around with drinks.
Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:26 pm 
Post subject:
Kimmy0908 wrote:
Thanks for the reply Very Happy

I did, as recommended with BLW, give him a normal cup but must admit, when he showed zero interest I stopped bothering. I'll start offering it again, and do what you said and just start leaving the cups around for him. It's my own fault, as I'm the one who stopped offering bottles/cups when he seemed less interested.... I should've stuck with it. Still, lesson learned!!

Edit - I have only just realised by "proper cup" you mean an actual cup and not a beaker, which is what I was offering. (sorry, being slow) yes, he is interested in proper cups, especially if I am drinking from one, but all he does is drown himself with it and then scream Rolling Eyes I guess that's another thing I should just learn to live with. Thanks again!

I don't think its your fault at all. I think we all do it. I didn't try a proper cup because I couldn't stand the idea of the mess so its certainly not necessary. I tweaked blw to suit me which is the whole point of it I think. Hope you manage to find a cup that works for you. How mischevious is your lo? Jamie always wants what he isn't allowed. If you put it somewhere where he thought he wasn't allowed it would that encourage him to try? We were lucky because Jamie drank from whatever you stuck in his mouth

Also, how old is your lo? Jamie has some cups with straws which he loves. They're from 12 months plus but may well work below that age

Kimmy0908
Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:47 pm 
Post subject:
He's 7 and a half months, but what you say about not being allowed something makes sense - he's always after mine and hubby's cup or glass - especially if he thinks we've got something he isn't allowed!! Laughing Laughing

I've bought a cup with a straw, a nuby one but haven't tried it as it's out of his age range - (I could open a shop, with all the different bottles and cups I have which Lucas never drank from anyway Rolling Eyes) and now I've got the doidy cup on the way, but the straw one we've already got is always worth a shot too Smile
I don't want to stop bfing just yet and I have decided not to go back to work, but I'm worried about when it does get the point where it's time to stop, and also it would be better for him if he could figure out how to have a cup now anyway, so he could drink water with his meals, and so that I don't have to keep whipping the boob out every time he decides he's thirsty! Embarassed

Thanks for the replies, at least I have some ideas to go forward with now Very Happy

A81
Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:53 pm 
Post subject:
i just wondered how ur getting on?im in the same boat
my lo is 17wks but refuses all but breast. he loves the doidy cup but wont swallow the milk!!!im guessing hen i go back to wk hell have to swallow it or hell starve but im just so worroed anout it.

Kimmy0908
Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:04 pm 
Post subject:
He loves his doidy cup, but he doesn't like me guiding it so we do tend to just end up drowned in whatever's in it Rolling Eyes Laughing
He seems to be better at taking water from it than he is milk, he'll swallow small mouthfuls of water but wont really try with the milk. I think maybe he associates milk with the comfort and Mummy snuggles of being on the breast so doesn't want it from a cup. He's getting there though, I just keep offering it, HV says just leave him to it and one day he'll suss it out properly. A couple of time Hubby has offered him a mouthful of expressed milk when I haven't been there and he's taken it, but he wont from me - so hopefully your LO will take it if it's the best that's available, if that makes sense!

A81
Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:21 pm 
Post subject:
yeah i keep trying everyday in the hope thst one day hell just get fed up with me pestering him and give in .

KellyRH
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:48 pm 
Post subject:
Gosh I feel your pain, my LO is 8 months in 1 day and can not get her off breast feeding. if i have gone out she'll drink from a cup but will not if i'm there she just goes mental. i'm unsure what to do

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Six Months to One Year All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular