not quite adoption but close.. can you help re egg donation?

Janey1983
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:30 pm 
Post subject: not quite adoption but close.. can you help re egg donation?
I am days away from my due date for me first child, we have been on such a rollercoaster, its taken years to get this far, had several miscarriages and gone through so many tests etc. When this baby is safely here I want to be able to give someone else the chance at being a mummy who needs eggs. Does any one know if there is like a govening body for this sort of stuff? I tried google but a load of private ivf clinics came up and I am not sure if thats what I should be looking for.
Thank You
louloubellamozzarella
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:50 pm 
Post subject:
Hon, you will probably get more of a response in the IVF section. XX

My Adoption Journal...
http://www.askbaby.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=115215
Komolafe
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:52 pm 
Post subject:
That is a wonderful thing to do. So selfless to think about other ladies who so desperately want a child ( Me being one of them. Im just trying to find a clinic who does egg donation IVF) The waiting lists for most clinics in the UK Ive been told are 8-9 months or some clinics wont even discuss this because there are no forthcoming donors Sad

If you have a look at this link it might give you some advice http://www.hfea.gov.uk/. These seem to be the governing body for fertility issues like this. To get an idea how clinics might work maybe google Care Fertility for some more information. The ladies who have donated will be able to advise you better.

Best of luck with the birth of your LO. Do you know of its a girl or boy?

Hope it all goes smoothly and enjoy every moment x
Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:47 am 
Post subject:
Hi Janey, it would be ivf clinics you'd need to go through as you will need to go through part of the ivf process yourself and same with the lady you'd donate to.
It's all anonymous, although potentially any children conceived from your eggs could find out 'identifying' information about you when they turn 18. That's not to say they will turn up on your door step or want a relationship with you, but they could get in contact maybe wanting more info about their history.

I've recently donated eggs myself so if you have any Qs feel free to pm me. I did it as an 'egg share' so I had ivf myself, kept half my eggs for me and gave the other half to another lady. We are both pregnant now! I will also be donating again once I've had the baby & stopped bf'ing but will be doing it altruistically this time, so 100% of my eggs to the couple.

Good luck, it's a great thing to do! xx

Janey1983
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:04 am 
Post subject:
Thanks ladies, as you can tell I am at the very beginning of the process so all info is very much welcome. I will start with that hfea website then check in one ivf forum too, I know it will be months before I can start anything as my baby is due in 5 days (please dont be late baby!) but I am so grateful that god gave us another chance at being parents (after 2 m/c) I want to be able to give some hope to someone else.
All the best
Janey1983
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:24 am 
Post subject:
Oh that website was great, I just got diverted after about 10 clicks to the nearest fertility centre who had a full run down of the facts, treatment etc.
I have added it to my favourites so I can come back to it in a few months.
Thanks Again.
Shellm
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:51 pm 
Post subject:
I would love to donate my eggs but according to the criteria it's ages up to 35 and I am 37.

Komolafe
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:55 pm 
Post subject:
Shellm wrote:
I would love to donate my eggs but according to the criteria it's ages up to 35 and I am 37.

I think its crazy how they restrict you because of your age, when there is such a shortage! Every women who wants to donate should be assessed to see if they could be suitable. You would probably be ideal as you've had babies recently....and then I could have your eggs Laughing

Janey - glad the site helped x
Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:15 pm 
Post subject:
I think if you want to donate you should then at least they can check the quality of the eggs. I would give you my eggs in a flash, lyn. Laughing Laughing
It's funny though because you can be a surrogate up to the age of 40 in some cases.

Komolafe
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:43 pm 
Post subject:
Shellm wrote:
I think if you want to donate you should then at least they can check the quality of the eggs. I would give you my eggs in a flash, lyn. Laughing Laughing
It's funny though because you can be a surrogate up to the age of 40 in some cases.

You can actually donate after the age of 35 but only if you know the recipient. They let my sister be our egg donor on our last cycle and she was 37, but you know the sad outcome we had with that. If you are a donor for an egg bank or not related to a recipient then you have to be below 35...and I didnt know you could be a surrogate up to the age of 40 Shocked It's a mad world isnt it Sad I've even looked at surrogacy lately too...just feel like I'm desperate now Embarassed
Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:20 pm 
Post subject:
Fingers crossed you get your bfp. I can only imagine the pain and suffering you have had. It's so unfair. You are a very brave lady. Very Happy. Would you use your sister again? Maybe she would be a surrogate.

Komolafe
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:21 pm 
Post subject:
My sister has offered again but of course she is a year older now. Apart from that she was so involved with me during the pregnancy as we are very close anyway and see or speak to each other every day, that she took Sam & Olivia's deaths so hard. I couldnt put her through the risk of having to face that kind of grief again Sad

She is helping sift through all the clinic information Ive got but they are all abroad cos they dont have waiting lists, whereas the Womens in Liverpool just wont even consider accepting you if you cant introduce your own donor Sad I suppose everything happens for a reason and we will have to wait to see whats in store for us Smile xxx
Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:30 pm 
Post subject:
I thought 35 was quite a restrictive age too, I am 28 so have a few years yet but it did say that it would be best if the donar has completed their own family before donating. I need to think it all through etc but personally I think I would prefer to donate in different city, I wouldnt want to see babies in town and wonder if that was from my egg.
I think surrogates are amazing, to go through all the pregnancy, birth etc then hand the baby over to a loving family - amazing!
Komolafe
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:33 pm 
Post subject:
Janey1983 wrote:
I thought 35 was quite a restrictive age too, I am 28 so have a few years yet but it did say that it would be best if the donar has completed their own family before donating. I need to think it all through etc but personally I think I would prefer to donate in different city, I wouldnt want to see babies in town and wonder if that was from my egg.
I think surrogates are amazing, to go through all the pregnancy, birth etc then hand the baby over to a loving family - amazing!

I can understand you feeling like and worrying that a child could be in your own city. However and wherever you choose to donate, you will make a childless couple eternally grateful and so happy. And for those women who do surrogacy they are angels on earth as far as Im concerned Smile x
Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:34 pm 
Post subject:
Even if you donate a child has the right now to know about their biological parent, is that right? Thought I read it on the egg donor website. I am going to look at surrogacy a bit more and see what it entails. I have definitely had my family and couldn't cope with anymore but I now think if my eggs are any use or my womb then at the moment they are going to waste. Does that sound a bit stupid?

Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Community

Popular