2.5 Year Old screams at the sight of his potty!

sarebear74
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:30 pm 
Post subject: 2.5 Year Old screams at the sight of his potty!
Hi All,

Jad is 2.5 years old. He speaks very well, understands commands, most times tells me when he has done a wee or a poo. I introduced books about potty's and he gets the idea - he knows that Pete does a wee wee in the potty etc.... However, Jad is an extremely stubborn child and always has been. As a baby he cried an awful lot and has always been very demanding - knowing what he does and doesn't want and can be very hard to manage.

This week I bought him two (of the same) potty's - have read up on what I'm supposed to do (star charts, treats etc..) and decided that for the next couple of weeks I'll just get him used to the idea of the whole thing before actually starting. I've had advice from friends who have been through this to do that and that once I start, not to go back.

Jad saw the potty in the bathroom today. I said "that is where Jad will do his wee wee and poo poo and he started screaming "no no no"...so I left it. Tonight he saw the potty again and I got the book and explained how pete's potty is green and Jad's is blue... he scuttled off the to corner and started to frown. I didn't want to push it so I started to read him the story again and then said "soon Jad will start to do his wee and poo in his potty". He started to cry Sad

I have to be careful about how I broach any subject with Jad - he's just a bit different. He hates trying new things - refuses to go on a swing for instance, never likes to try new foods... I'm sure you are getting the picture now.

Thing is, I don't really have that much time on my side. He starts school in September and he has to be fully potty trained by then for them to accept him (we live in Dubai and that's just one of the stupid laws)... I am leaving for the UK in June for 2 months so I really need him to be fully trained by then (even the trip will freak him out so there is no point trying to do it then).

I don't know what to do. I don't want to start this for him to get completely freaked out and never do it - but at the same time, I need him to do this!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks x

steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:55 pm 
Post subject:
could you try putting him straight on the toilet?

i would let him watch you and his dad go to the toilet, and make a big fuss of each other for going.

abbie29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:27 pm 
Post subject:
We got Izzy to sit on the potty and read stories or watch a cartoon - then she wasn't so scared of it. I have to admit, we did bribe her with stickers and little chocolates if she did wees and poos. We took our time and she is now dry during the day. Try not to get stressed, he'll sense it xx

Jump to:  

Community

Popular