Solids vs Milk

tracebumfluffwhy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:09 am 
Post subject: Solids vs Milk
Hiya

Alex is almost 8 months old (on the 1st) and I'm worried he's still to reliant on milk. So far here's a run down of what he's had today.

Slept from 7pm till 5.30am and then had 7oz of milk
8am - 1/4-1/2 weetabix, 1 yoghurt, 2 or 3 pieces of bannana
08:45 - 6oz's milk

With solids, I basically feed him until he refuses more food but he often wants milk like an hour later, I have numerous times reoffered solids at this point but no his mouth clamps shut.

Lunch will be at 11.30ish (as I follow the nursery times to keep him in a routine) and he will likely have 1/4-1/2 jar of 190g food plus a yoghurt

Team will be around 15:30 and again 1/4-1/2 jar of food and yoghurt.

All in all in 24 hours he'll have those solids plus about 30-36oz of milk.

How does this compare with your lo's? The HV told me at his age he should only be on 1 morning and 1 evening bottle.

Actually after a bit more research just found this, and actually this is almost identical to what I do so I think I can stop worrying. Although would be interesting to see what you all do Very Happy

7:00 Wake and Breast milk or Formula
8:15 Breakfast
9:00 Morning Nap (at least 1 hour)
10:00 Breast milk or Formula
11:00 Lunch
12:30 Breast milk or Formula
1:00 Early Afternoon Nap (at least 1 hour)
2:00 Breast milk or Formula
4:00 Optional Catnap (30-45 minutes)
4:30 or 5:00 Dinner
6:15 Begin bedtime routine
7:00 Breast milk or Formula and Bedtime (goal to be asleep at this time)

libertytmk
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:55 pm 
Post subject:
We did blw so didn't start Jamie on solids until he was 6 months. I know when he started nursery (when he was 8 and a bit months) he was still having a bottle in the morning and one in the afternoon. It was only as he got closer to one he started to drop them

jane1978
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:28 pm 
Post subject:
when my LO went to nursery at 9 months she had a bottle morning and night - 6 ish oz in a morn and 8/9oz at bed. I felt this was ok as she drank a lot of water thru the day but if she didn;t I think I would have kept the afternoon bottle too for a little while. I dropped morning bottle at 10 months and night bottle recently - but this was all due to how well she drinks water if she didn't I would have given her more milk x
Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:06 pm 
Post subject:
Don't forget as well that they recommend 21oz up to the age of 1 (although that can come from the milk with the wheatabix, etc) so they will still need quite a bit. I actually think Jamie was still feeding quite regularly at that point although he was bf so hard to tell how much he was having. I think it was only when he went to nursery that he started to regulate a bit.

Will he be going into nursery or anything like that? I think that's what pushed Jamie towards food because the other kids have a snack mid morning and mid afternoon and he wanted to be like them

tracebumfluffwhy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:37 pm 
Post subject:
libertytmk wrote:
Don't forget as well that they recommend 21oz up to the age of 1 (although that can come from the milk with the wheatabix, etc) so they will still need quite a bit. I actually think Jamie was still feeding quite regularly at that point although he was bf so hard to tell how much he was having. I think it was only when he went to nursery that he started to regulate a bit.

Will he be going into nursery or anything like that? I think that's what pushed Jamie towards food because the other kids have a snack mid morning and mid afternoon and he wanted to be like them

He goes to nursery already its them that managed to get him onto 3 meals a deay as I was struggling and indeed his milk intake has deopped from the upper 40's to lower 30's and often only around 25. So he is reducing his milk, really I'm concerened how soon he seems to want milk after solids.

He does take 'some' water when he feels like it Embarassed some days he has loads others hardly any.

Jennifer256
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:44 pm 
Post subject:
Charlotte is 11 months and does

8am 8oz bottle
9am cereal,fruit,yoghurt
10.30am snack
12.30pm lunch
2.30pm 8oz bottle
4.40pm tea
6.30pm supper with Archie
7.30 8oz bottle

She is a milk monster and will not drop her afternoon milk xx

libertytmk
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:09 pm 
Post subject:
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Jamie was having loads more milk that the guidelines would say he needed but his dropped it eventually. I think the having it fairly soon after meals is quite common as the meals don't necessarily feel them up yet and remind them they are hungry

tinajane
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:21 pm 
Post subject:
Chloe is 8 months and she has
5oz bottle 7.30
Breakfast-1/2 weetabix and cows milk 8.30
5oz bottle 11
Dinner-5 very deap ice cube blocks of wat eva I have made and 1-2 small yoghurts 12.30
5oz bottle 4
Tea- a fruit pot, toast/crumpet and yoghurt 5.30
5oz bottle 8

If she's having an xtra hungry day I also throw in a few snacks

NatterBUMjack
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:32 pm 
Post subject:
My Jack is 8 months same day as your Alex and has:

8am: 2 weetabix (made with formula) and about 3oz milk
1pm: lunch can be alsorts but sort of same amount as the big baby food jars and again just a few oz of milk
6pm: Same as above (but different meal if that makes sense) and 1 or 2 yogurts
7pm: 6oz milk

Seems he doesn't have much milk Question compared to others anyway. He doesn't need snacks, he just has bigger meals and I give him a bottle an hour after tea as his bed bottle.

My Angels grew wings 13/05/12 and 29/07/12
tracebumfluffwhy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:28 pm 
Post subject:
NatterBUMjack wrote:
My Jack is 8 months same day as your Alex and has:

8am: 2 weetabix (made with formula) and about 3oz milk
1pm: lunch can be alsorts but sort of same amount as the big baby food jars and again just a few oz of milk
6pm: Same as above (but different meal if that makes sense) and 1 or 2 yogurts
7pm: 6oz milk

Seems he doesn't have much milk Question compared to others anyway. He doesn't need snacks, he just has bigger meals and I give him a bottle an hour after tea as his bed bottle.

OMG Nat, 2 weetabix, I'm lucky to get Alex to eat 1 lol.

Katiepillar
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:48 pm 
Post subject:
My little man often wants his milk quite soon after his solids too. He has his breakfast at about 7.45 and then starts looking for his milk by about 9. I find he wants heaps of milk in the morning and then not much in the afternoon. He still has 4 milk feeds a day and 3 meals.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Six Months to One Year All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular