Two names to choose from

Abbypumpkin
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:48 am 
Post subject: Two names to choose from
OH and I have narrowed it down to two names, Libby and Holly. OH and I probably prefer Libby as does our DD1 (2 yrs), however we feel that Holly is a stronger name and probably more suitable for adulthood than Libby. Also our DD1 is named Abby so there is a bit of a name clash with Libby (we haven't intentionally picked a 'matchy' name it's just one of the ones we both like)

What do you think?
mymaybaby
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:31 pm 
Post subject:
Hi there,
We were toying with Libby too but decided against it for the same reason that you're having second thoughts about it - cos it sounds a little 'babyish' for an adult. Holly's cute for a child but moulds into a really nice adult's name as well so I'd probably go for Holly. I quite like the spelling Hollie too. Good luck!
xxVictoriaxx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:01 pm 
Post subject:
I like Libby but I think it's far too similar to Abby. We really liked Holly but our ds is called Oliver (Ollie) so that was straight out the window.
Personally I would go for Holly, it's a really lovely name anyway, but doesn't clash with Abby.
xx

bunnymama
Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:51 am 
Post subject:
i like libby the most x
Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:07 am 
Post subject:
I always picked names based on if i liked them and never bothered about siblings names and similarities and clashing, i did have a thing about not having all the same first letter (like on 19 kids and counting Shocked ) and it's only recently I realised that actually not only do 2 of mine do have the same first letter (c) and a third has a K and because of the names (christian, connel and kirsten) they all do sound the same Embarassed Laughing in my defence there's 15yrs between the boys Laughing and my youngest boys name was picked before we had our DD who's older (OH wanted a boy Rolling Eyes ) so that was always going to be connel and then we had a girl instead and didn't plan anymore ,but I don't care now anyway Laughing
So if you prefer Libby then I'd choose that and not worry about it sounding similar, I don't think it particularly does anyway except for the y at the end of course which Holly also has Question Not similar enough to confuse the girls anyway Smile
I did want Holly for our DD as she was born the 15th of december but my OH thought it was too obvious Question Laughing
I think Libby sounds more grown up in a way than Holly Question
It is hard though isn't it, after being set on a boys name it then took us six weeks after she was born to find a girls name for Kirsten that we both agreed on Shocked Rolling Eyes Laughing and then when we lived in germany they pronounce it Keeeerrrzten (which I hated) Laughing or people call her kirsty which i also don't like , so you can't win Rolling Eyes Laughing Good luck deciding xx
fc79
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:43 pm 
Post subject:
Hi, I prefer Libbly too, but see what you mean about it sounding similar to Abbey, could be a bit of a mouthful! I dont think it matters about not sounding like an adult name, could you call her Elizabeth and shorten it to Libby, then she can choose for herself when she's older?
Abbypumpkin
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:22 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks for the replies. Libby is the one that we really do both prefer and my parents both have discussed the name olly recently (not in relation o naming but another topic) and both have really strong accents and constantly said 'olly' which I think would annoy me! I didn't think it mattered too much as they're names will very rarely be said together and they'll be living separate lives for most of their life. However, I still have something in the back of my mind that worries that people will think we couldn't be bothered thinking of anything different (if that makes sense)
Frival
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:28 am 
Post subject:
One of my closest friends is Libby (short for Elizabeth - which she never uses) and it completely suits her. She is now 35 and a teacher and she loves her name.

Mind you, I also have a soft spot for Holly! But I just wanted to say that Libby is a lovely name for an adult woman too!

x

Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular