Cuddling 3 month old to sleep - big no no or ok?

KathG
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:00 pm 
Post subject: Cuddling 3 month old to sleep - big no no or ok?
Just wondering what people thought. My LO falls asleep very quickly when I give him his dummy and hold him in close to me. He never really goes into bed awake because its easier to put him down once he is settled. At the moment I am ok with this because I enjoy comforting him and it doesnt take long to settle him. However I worry I am creating a massive problem for when he is older - that he will need me to fall asleep and wont be able to settle himself. What do you think - I feel that he belongs close to me and that its only natural/instinctive that a baby wants to be next to mum but also feel maybe its better for him to learn how to fall asleep on his own sooner rather than later?

[/url]
Jennifer256
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:43 am 
Post subject:
Its your decision, I cuddled Archie and his sleeping became terrible at times and he would need comforting to sleep.
He got better when he went into a bed at 15 months but he could be up loads in the night and needed comfort.

With Charlotte as we had two to deal with and hubby works away at times, she has always been bottled, winded and put down with a sleep que ie I say night night charlotte see you in the morning and she is an amazing sleeper and will sleep anywere in a travel cot as long as you follow her little routine and its dark.

But its your baby and go with your instinct xx

DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:08 am 
Post subject:
Personally for me it was never something I chose to do, but saying that it was only because I had advice from my sister who had done it and ended up with a really bad sleeper who couldn't self settle, so from the start with my first I would put him down to sleep on his own as soon as he seemed sleepy and he was a great sleeper from being young, with my second though I did often let her fall asleep on me (more because she was a month prem and I liked the cuddles and it reassured me Embarassed Laughing ) and then she would wake as soon as I put her down Confused She ended up being a really poor sleeper and only started going 6-8 hrs or so at night when she was over 6 months , so next time round I went back to putting my baby down awake and had another great sleeper .
So from that experience for me I decided the sooner my babies could self settle the better Question , don't get me wrong I love the cuddles and there's nothing nicer than holding a content sleepy baby until they drift off Smile and it does feel like the most natural thing in the world , but with my first daughter doing that meant she just couldn't ever settle herself even when out in her pram and caused problems for her later when she would be tired and need to sleep but couldn't unless being held Sad so i would say doing it sooner rather than later is better if you can , before it becomes too engrained a habit to break , especially if he's going to have to be left with someone else at some point xx
KathG
Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:41 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks for replies. Think I will start trying to get him to self settle soon, I can see its already becoming a habbit. Fingers crossed it wont be too hard to break. thanks again for your advice.

[/url]
jillylily85
Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:32 am 
Post subject:
hey,

i cuddled my first son to sleep when he was a baby...........and was still having to do it at 2 and a half!! Surprised

my daughter had to be bounced in a chair to fall asleep!

3rd time round now and my baby goes in his bed awake and falls asleep on his own! much better!!

ive defo learnt from my mistakes Embarassed

jill
Clairebell29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:10 pm 
Post subject:
George gets cuddled to sleep as it's the only way he'll go off. However when I lay him down he stirs, wiggles about and settles. He also sometimes stirs in the night and resettles himself. He is a terrible napper in the day though. I don't know if what I'm doing id right or wrong but at the moment it keeps me sane, I can't just put him down and let him cry.
Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 2:15 pm 
Post subject:
I didnt know how easy I had it when I wrote that. I wish he would let me cuddle him to sleep now, think it might be his teeth or I dont know whats got into him. Now we have do endure a screaming hour to hour and a half at night. He just cant settle, doesnt make a difference if he is being held or not he just screams. We have to end up taking him out in the car a fair bit now. So I say if your LO allows you to cuddle him to sleep dont rock the boat and just go with it Laughing

[/url]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Getting Baby To Sleep All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular