autism help.

LauraG
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:46 pm 
Post subject: autism help.
my daughter has a communication disorder possibly autism.

she says only a few words and most are unrecognisable and only i can understand what shes saying sometimes not even i know what shes saying.

she becomes very confused easily and upset and spends most of her time screaming or cyring.

she is quite social although one minute shes fine playing with children and the next she will scream as if someones murdering her which is frightening for other kids as they think theyve done sumet wrong but its just georgia freaking out.

i thought we were getting somewhere and she has started saying new words and using signs for a lot of things. although recently she has been pointing at things shouting mam at the top of her voice wanting me to tell her what shes pointing at so i will say yes thats a duck and she will contue shouting mam and have me say the name of what shes poting at several times before shes satisfied and will finally stop shouting. its becoming a sort of obsession and she will point at everything and i will have to repeat myself several times its very frustrating and i cant understand why she is doing this.

if anyone could be of anyhelp that wud be great.

Kenty
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:48 pm 
Post subject:
i can't really help as Lily-Ann, although on the Autism Spectrum doesn't communicate in any ways like this...but i just wanted to say i hope you're all doing ok xx

i really hope someone can help x

LauraG
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:59 pm 
Post subject:
thanx for ur reply kenty.

we are seeing consultant on wedesday so im going to make a last of what i want to say ask as i always forget when i get there.

thatonethere
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:44 am 
Post subject:
We have also been given a preliminary diagnosis of autistic spectrum disorder, he is due to see an educational physchologist and the community paediatric team. In the mean time we have to keep a diary daily of his quirky behaviour, how he responds to others when we are out etc, everything really that happens during the day, what eye-contact is like, how he is with other children etc, maybe it's something you could do to, so you can present it to them to show - it's written down then. He does a lot of hand flapping and lining things up, staring at things, doesn't like kisses and cuddles, only has a handful of words and is very strict in his own routine of doing things, literally to the minute.

Hope this helps!
xx
LauraG
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:47 pm 
Post subject:
I read ur reply just before we went to the appointment and exact same is happening for Georgia. The doctor said she is probably on the autistic spectrum and we need to find out where she is on the autistic spectrum. She is nw getting referd to sumthing called the communication clinic and educational physchologist and more in depth speech therapy. So im very happy that things r being dun to help her.

We discussed nursery and she will go to a mainstream nursery but will probably need a one to one assistant. So the doctor suggested i visit potential nurseries and explain Georgias need and can decide which nursery wud suit her needs best.

Only thing im confused about is what an educational physchologist is? When were u referd to educational physchologist wud b handy to know how long i shud expect 2 wait.

thatonethere
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:58 am 
Post subject:
Hi we were referred about 8 weeks ago now, still no news, we are forever waiting for one department or other! Also waiting for speech therapy and the community paediatric team to get in touch.
Our portage worker is assuming the diagnosis of ASD to be correct for the mean time and has adjusted his targets and steps to accommodate, he just wasn't getting anywhere anyway, we spent 3 weeks solid trying to associate sheep with 'baa' - using toys, books, real sheep on the farm, tv, everything! but he just didn't understand what was going on, so she's reduced the steps to make it more manageable for him to grasp.
We have the nursery coming round later to see us about his special needs that he'll need when he starts next week, I have to show them how to do his special nappies and replace his dressings and stuff so we'll see how they get on.
xx
LauraG
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:57 am 
Post subject:
sounds like its going to be a long wait for all these referals. Hope the visit frm the nursery goes well. Is he goin to attend mainstream nursery or a special needs nursery?

thatonethere
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:37 am 
Post subject:
He has a special needs place in a mainstream nursery funded by the government.
i hope that we can raise more awareness of his conditions to help other parents look out for signs etc and what the treatment involves.
xx

Last edited by thatonethere on Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:42 am; edited 1 time in total
LauraG
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:28 pm 
Post subject:
what an amazing little boy and wonderful blog.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Special Needs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular