Long haul flights, any advice very welcome!

mumtoastar
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:36 am 
Post subject: Long haul flights, any advice very welcome!
We are going on holiday in 3 weeks, and our boys will be 3 years and 11 months. In total we'll be flying for about 15hrs. I'm not so worried about occupying my 3 year old as he'll be happy with sticker books, colouring book and he's got a load of games to play on our phones. But I'm am worried about my 11 month old, any tips on things to occupy him at all? He is extremely lively and I'm so worried he's going to be a nightmare Confused

xTEGx
Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:06 am 
Post subject:
We've flown to New Zealand with our son twice. Flight time was about 24 hours. Once when he was 8 mths and then last year when he was near 2 and a half.

Look at the post made by Becki82 about travelling long distances as you might find that useful.

I'm sure it won't be a nightmare and the build-up of flying/packing is much more stressful than the actual event though saying that, I'm not sure if there is a lot you can do to make it that much easier with a 11 month old baby. Like you say, he's lively, so other than letting him move up and down the aisle as much as possible, maybe watching TV a little bit will keep him occupied (though I think at that age, their attention span isn't that long).

Will he be sitting in one of your laps??? Hopefully he'll sleep at some point as well.

If your son uses a dummy, definitely take that and a spare.

We've just come back from a holiday and our 3 year son loved his portable DVD player. That was a godsend (I know you're not asking for advice about your older son but thought I'd mention that anyway).

Enjoy your holiday.

xTx
Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:57 pm 
Post subject:
Many thanks for your reply. I will check out that thread.

I think it'll be hard but very worth it in the end! He will be sat on my knee and part of the flight will be his bedtime. So fingers crossed he'll sleep!!!
Thanks for the tip about portable DVD player Smile

All I have to do now is pack!! x

becki82
Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:50 pm 
Post subject:
Hi mumtoastar,

Yeah def read through the other thread, it was really helpfully talking to people esp Teg when I was arranging our trip to oz. try not to worry about it as generally everyone is very understanding of babies/toddlers. I'm sure after all the excitement of the airport and boarding etc your 11 month old will be worn out and hopefully will sleep. Hopefully there will be something to entertain him on the tv if not lots of walking around and taking snacks he likes will keeps him amused. It's def more worrying for the parents, for us it all went really smoothly and my little girl loved the whole adventure. Enjoy and don't worry it will all go well
Becki x

Jump to:  

Community

Popular