Home Births

jenneve
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:21 pm 
Post subject: Home Births
thought id start a little chat thread for anyone who is planning to have or is thinking about having a home birth this year.

i have had one before and am doing it again. heres hoping i dont go too overdue.

i will happily answer any questions for those thinking about doing one for the first time or sharing experiences with those like me who have had one and want to again.

K8andJJ
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:04 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Jenneve, I am planning on having a homebirth this time. Would have liked one last time but it just wasn't practical as we lived in a static caravan and although it was a big one, it was March and so not the warmest for birthing in! We're in a lovely barn conversion now with underfloor heating etc. so planning on buying a birthing pool and clearing out dining table in the kitchen and having it in the middle of the kitchen floor Smile Would like to actually birth in the pool if possible not just the 1st stage.

I had a few symptoms which indicated pre-eclampsia from 34 weeks with DS, high BP, protein in urine, uric acid in blood, and in last few days major swelling of feet but I never had any symptoms together. They sent me for growth scan at 35 weeks, instead of finding a small baby like they expected, they found one measuring 3 weeks ahead of dates and out he popped at 37 weeks weighing 7lb 10oz! So I have my doubts that what I was experiencing was pre-eclampsia but due to all my symptoms I've been told I should be monitored closely and may not be 'allowed' a HB. I'm not stupid, if I feel there is something wrong with me or baby I would obviously go into hospital but if the same happens again and baby is big or even normal sized then I will ignore symptoms and insist on HB despite warnings as I feel both me and baby will benefit from a HB over hospital birth due to the stress I experienced last time in the hospital. I had a student there who followed me around wherever I went, even when I decided I MUST poo! She insisted on standing in the doorway of the toilet watching me! I was too polite and shy to tell her to f*ck off but next time I defo would lol.

My hopes for a HB are that I will have more say in what happens, be more relaxed and therefore progress better in the 2nd stage. (last time in hospital I got to 2nd stage then was pushing for 2 hours before they gave me a drip to increase contractions and 26 min later JJ was born) I'm fairly certain stress was part of the reason things stopped.

Anyway, would be nice to hear people's HB experiences so I have an idea of what to expect.

And sorry for the mini essay! Very Happy

jenneve
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:29 am 
Post subject:
each pregnancy is different and you might not have those symptoms again this time around although they will take it into consideration, there are alot of conditions you have to meet for a home birth but at the end of the day some are negotiable, i myself have raised blood platelets but i argued my case!
the one big thing ive heard from most people who have had home births myself included is how relaxed they were labouring and birthing at home.
i felt in control as it was my house my rules kind of thing! i had a birthing pool and i totally recomend them as a form of pain relief you can hire or buy, we bought ours. i gave birth in mine but got out for the 3rd stage.

i actually am a case study for a 3rd year student midwife so i will have 3 midwives for my birth but i have met her she has come to my scans and appointments and ive made it clear to her want i want her to do and how i want my birth. you always have the choice about students being at your birth.

im lucky and have a midwife who is very pro home birth and if yours isnt i would insist on getting other opinions.

Growingroses
Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:27 am 
Post subject:
Had GD and polyhydromnious last time, but it's not a god given I will have those things again, so here's to hoping!
I think the home birthing movement is getting slightly more popular Smile

Last edited by Growingroses on Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
jenneve
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:46 pm 
Post subject:
it is indeed! my midwife has said that there are 15 women in her area all booked in for one in the last week of april. i dont blame them as my one was fantastic.
the lady 2 doors down from me had one last week! i was hoping we didnt go on the same day as one of us might lose out! although there are always 2 teams on call.

i am due tomorrow and have everything ready even the pool is pre blown up and ready to fill!

good luck with your ttc growingroses!

Growingroses
Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:55 pm 
Post subject:
Aw thanks!
Some midwives moan and groan about home births, fingers crossed I dont get one of thoses Smile
Good luck with the home birth anyway! Will check back in a few days x
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Birth Club 2012 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular