January 2013 Birth Club

AllyG
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:33 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Nix

Lovely to hear from you! Sorry to hear that you have had a few bouts of illness. Wow sounds like you have rather a large baby growing inside you - ouch!! Is that due to the gest. diabetes? Was your first baby quite big?

I'm being induced at around 39 weeks as have to stop my fragmin (same sort of thing as clexane) 36 hours before delivery. The consultant said that as soon as new year and bank hols are over I can be booked in for induction 1st week of Jan Smile

Dohdoh - nursery was a success thanks - thank god!! Although he wouldn't really eat anything there but he's a nightmare with food anyway so I'm not surprised!!

I haven't even thought about my hospital bag yet but did dig out my list from last time round so I know what things I need to buy. I guess I'll probably do it in the next few weeks??!! Very Happy

Not long now ladies!!! Cool
xxx

dohdoh1984
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:18 pm 
Post subject:
AllyG do you know if they are more likely to induce when on blood thinners?

It's all so exciting, I can't believe how quickly this pregnancy has actually gone! Shocked And I'm sure the next few weeks will fly by! Laughing

xx

AllyG
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:28 pm 
Post subject:
Hi dohdoh

I don't know of anyone else who has taken blood thinners in pregnancy but last time they told me the main reason for induction was so I could stop my injections 36 hours before. The reason for stopping them is so that if you end up wanting/needing interventions like epidurals or c sec they can do them without the added risk of excessive bleeding. Last time I had a meeting with an anaesthetist who said I wouldn't need an elective section but advised early induction.

Basically they don't want you to go into labour naturally while on clexane as you wouldn't be able to have epidural or emergency c sec - although in extreme circumstances they would do a c sec if that was only option left.

I actually had a fairly quick labour but ended up having an epidural and forceps delivery (inc episiotomy) so meant that they could do the cut without lots of bleeding. However for a couple of days after delivery I did bleed quite a lot, had a few nose bleeds and a massive projectile fountain of blood after they remove canula!

Then I had to restart my injections 6 hours after delivery and continue them for 6 weeks after birth.

I'm guessing something similar will happen this time - although I really don't fancy forceps again!!

xxx

dohdoh1984
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:07 pm 
Post subject:
There's so much information on the internet, and I know I'll have to wait to find out more from my consultant. I really want the next 2 weeks to fly by so I can find out! Laughing
I did get a bit panicky earlier, because I really don't want to have a c.section unless I really have to, especially one that I'd have to go under general, as I really want my OH to be there. And I'm also worried that I won't be able to breastfeed if I go under a general...

Tomorrow I'll probably be worrying about something else Laughing xx

AllyG
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:19 am 
Post subject:
Hey dohdoh - don't go googling it always brings up the worst possible scenario!!! Everybody's individual pregnancy is different so your consultant will decide best way of delivery for you.

My consultant last time didn't think there was any reason why I should necessarily have an elective c section over induction which I'm glad about as I don't fancy a c sec either! Although I was in a lot of pain and couldn't sit down properly for about 3 weeks last time I did manage to breastfeed so hoping to do it again this time.

I believe some people get told to stop clexane at about 36/37 wks and just wait for natural labour.

Hopefully your appt comes round quickly and you can ask lots of questions!!!

xx

dohdoh1984
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:04 pm 
Post subject:
Hello AllyG

Thank you for the reassurance, and letting me vent! I'm feeling a bit calmer about it all today Smile I know the consultant will do what he thinks is best for the baby, I'm going to write down questions as I think of them (I have a head like a sieve at the moment Laughing ).

The scan on Wednesday will have a bit of a deciding factor aswell, as I did have a low lying placenta, so I'm prepared that from respect I'd have to have a c.section.

I'm going to have a kind of relaxing day, with lists to write (xmas, hospital bag, and anything else I may need to get for the baby).

We've got the main bits for the baby sorted now, I got a bargain on the travel system on ebay! Laughing It is second hand, but in such good condition was well chuffed when we picked it up, and the people were so friendly showing us how to use it. It came with everything, the travel cot, car base, foot muff, raincover, changing bag! And all for £15!! And best of all, it looked better than what the photo showed, I can't believe I'll be using it soon! Currently stored round my OH's mums at the moment, as people kept telling me it's bad luck to have it in the house before the baby is here!

I can't wait to start washing the baby clothes and bedding, and getting the crib up. It's going on my side of the bed, (easier for if I'm breastfeeding), so we've got to move shelving unit into the spare room whilst the baby is in with us, then it'll go back into the spare room, when it's properly the baby's room. Feels odd calling it the baby room/nursery!

Anyway I'm babbling now! Laughing Hope everyone has a good day, anyone doing anything exciting?

xx

AllyG
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:41 pm 
Post subject:
Hi dohdoh

Glad you are feeling a bit more relaxed today Very Happy. I can totally understand all your worries and fears and even though I have been through it all before I'm not sure whether it's worse second time round as I kind of know what to expect!!! Although every pregnancy and labour is different but I'm still trying not to think about how baby is going to get out of me!! Very Happy

Hope your placenta has moved, I think that for the majority of people who have a low lying placenta early on, it does move so fingers crossed it has for you!! Cool

Wow what a bargain for your travel system!! We bought a double buggy off ebay too - not worth buying brand new all the time I don't think. Hope we're not bringing bad luck by storing it in the garage??!! We're also just going to re-use same carseat for this baby as we did for the first one as it's in great condition and it's never been involved in an accident or anything.

Apart from buying and sorting out stuff for hospital bag, I still need to order a new mattress for carrycot for baby to sleep in. We used it last time rather than a moses basket/crib so it'll be fine with just a new mattress.

I also bought a new changing mat the other day so we can keep one in our bedroom for night time changes. Finlay has his own changing table in his bedroom so can't disturb him when it's the middle of the night or when he is napping!

I need to dig out all my newborn clothes, sort through what will be season suitable and wash them too. I bought a new going home outfit for this one as most of it's clothes will be hand-me-downs, poor thing!!

I've not had a very exciting weekend, lo has a hacking cough, cold and temperature so been rather clingy and dh has been away this week so been on my own. He's back late tonight though - yay!! Very Happy

Right time to get some dinner!
Take care.
xxx

dohdoh1984
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:21 pm 
Post subject:
Hello ladies!

I had scan yesterday and the placenta has moved to the top Very Happy
The sonographer also did measurements as consultant wanted me to have a growth scan at 34 weeks. And I'm measuring big apparently. In my notes, it says 95 percentile, but on the graph it says 90 percentile! Anyway, I had to see the doctor so he could decide what to do next, and he said I'm not that big! And has asked for me to be scanned at 36 weeks! I had 2 request forms for scans, 34 and 36 weeks, so I handed them both in today, and the receptionist said she'd sort it and ring me today with another scan sppointment, as one would override the other, but heard nothing! So, I will have to chase it up tomorrow.
I've still got the consultant in 2 weeks, so will still try and find out about the clexane. Be interesting to see if the baby's growth is going to be a factor in being induced aswell! Laughing Apparently the baby weighs 5lb 2 already! Is that too big? Last week at the midwife when she measured my belly it was 31cm, and this week I'm 35-36cm!! Which does seem big!

Anyway hope you're all well.
xxx

NIx1972
Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:06 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Dohdoh and AllyG !

Good to hear you are both progressing well Smile no idea about the fragmin/ clexane - I guess just go with what the consultant says?

They do think baby is big because of the gest diabetes. My son was over 9lb and they now think I had gd last time around too. I ended up with an emergency section last time as he got stuck (I'm only tiny). They won't induce this time as they say with my age and previous section I'm high risk for a rupture. Having gone through 28 hours of active labour (4 days in labour ward) last time - I'm happy for them to book me an elective section this time. Having said that I'm apprehensive about it all- especially the recovery afterwards with a toddler and a baby!

I've had a rough week with my blood sugars so they are putting me on Metformin to try and slow the growth of squiggle and I have my next midwife appt tomorrow avo so will see how much we've grown!

Take care
Nix x

dohdoh1984
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:48 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Ladies!

Just checking in to see how we all are Smile

Finding it more uncomfortable to sit on the sofa or even sleep! Sad I'm feeling breathless quite a bit. I'm also getting pins and needles in my right arm quite a bit aswell Sad

Anyway, got a busy week with appointments next week, got the midwife, scan and consultant. So, hopefully will have an idea of what the plan is on Wednesday.

Most of my family and OH think the baby will be here before Xmas! Laughing

Take care and speak soon! xxx

AllyG
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:12 pm 
Post subject:
Hey girls

The countdown to this final weeks is really on now - scary!! Very Happy

Over the last couple of weeks I seem to have developed sore hips and lower back. It started with what felt like a bruised bum(!) but now hurts all the way around so walking is getting quite painful as is bending down to lift up my toddler. Hope it's nothing too sinister but I'll mention it to the consultant when I see her next Wed. Confused

Dohdoh - how have your appointments gone this week? Have you got a clearer idea of what is going on now? Cool

I still need to sort out baby clothes and stuff for the hospital Very Happy !!! On the plus side I have made quite a good start to my Christmas shopping this week, although it has made my hips hurt a lot!!

Anyway enough moaning from me, hope everyone is doing ok.
Xxx

dohdoh1984
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:54 pm 
Post subject:
Hiya AllyG

That pain doesn't sound good, hope you're taking it easy... well as much as you can!

I had my scan yesterday morning, and the baby is still measuring big, but the sonographer said it's at the upper range of normal. I saw my consultant in the afternoon, and he's not worried about the measurements. As regards to the clexane, I'm to carry on as normal, and if I start having contractions before I'm due to take it then not to inject it. If I have contractions within 12 hours after taking the clexane, then the only thing it will mean, is that I can't have an epidural within that 12 hour period. So, quite happy with that. He said I'd then be started on it again within about 6-10 hours after the birth for 6 weeks, depending on how the birth goes, and how much I bleed after.

Most of my family think the baby will be with us before Xmas, but I don't know if that's wishful thinking Laughing

I think I'm about a third done with Xmas shopping. I went down town the other day, and I had strong braxton hicks most of the time of being down there Laughing I was just waiting for my waters to break in one of the shops Very Happy

Anyway, I'm off to bed, take care ladies xxx

AllyG
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:40 pm 
Post subject:
Hey girls

How is everyone doing? Just thought I'd give a quick update after my trip to the hospital today! I had another scan and baby is doing well but unlike you dohdoh, it looks to be on the smaller side - thank goodness haha!! Very Happy Average weight is 5lb 2oz at the moment.

Then I saw the consultant and she booked my induction for 4th Jan - sounds so close!!! I'll be 38 + 6 then. Also going for another scan on 31st Dec just to check growth is going ok. It's all systems go now, just need to wrap Christmas presents and write cards and get final baby stuff sorted!! Very Happy

Hope the final weeks are going well for you all.

Xxx

dohdoh1984
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:50 pm 
Post subject:
Hi ladies!

Hope everyone is doing well Smile

I'm hoping the baby won't turn out to be that big after all, but we shall see! Laughing Got the midwife next week, and the consultant the week after, so I'm keeping fingers crossed baby doesn't have a huge growth spurt before then! Laughing Making my eyes water at the thought of it!

Wrapped all of the Xmas presents I've got so far, and only got a few more things to order, then I'm done! Not spent that much this year either, which is a bonus, I do tend to go a bit silly at Xmas, if the baby was definetly here for Xmas I would probably of spent loads! Embarassed I shall be writing Xmas cards at the weekend, and then send on Monday.

Got baby clothes in the wash at the mo, all so exciting! I'm sure someone will wake me up in a minute and it'll all be a dream! Laughing

Take care ladies!
xxx

AllyG
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:37 pm 
Post subject:
Hey dohdoh

Glad everything is going well. They say larger babies are easier to deliver as having a bit of weight helps them come out!! Could be true as last time I had a smallish baby but still ended up having a forceps delivery as he got stuck - recovering from that was painful!!! Very Happy

I've got one more present to buy and then all done and just need to get wrapping. I've done all my Christmas cards and posted them yesterday (when did stamps get so pricey??!!) Confused

I've done a couple of loads of baby clothes washing this week and managed to buy the last few things I needed for my hospital bag so feeling pretty sorted finally!! Cool

Hope everyone else is ok.
xxx

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Birth Club 2013 All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12

Jump to:  

Community

Popular