Should I pierce her ears?

sweetpea24
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:24 am 
Post subject: Should I pierce her ears?
Hi. DD is almost 8 months old - will be on 13/5. I would like to get her ears pierced tomorrow.

What do you think? Will she suffer? Thats the only thing that is stopping me. If I do, should I maybe give her some calpol about 30min before, or do you think that is not necessary?

Thanks. xxx

Jonie1976
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:43 pm 
Post subject:
Perhaps some calpol would be a good idea, although from what I remember when I had mine done when I was 13 it was Quick & painless.

Is there a reason why you want her to have her ears pierced whilst she is so young?!? Each to their own, but I won't be getting my lo pierced until she's old enough to decide for herself. I'd be too worried about her catching herself or something, but then I am a bit of a worrier!!
Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 1:16 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks. No special reason. I had mine done young. xxx

Jonie1976
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 1:44 pm 
Post subject:
My mum wouldn't let me have mine done for years lol. I remember asking every birthday and it was always a no Smile
Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:01 pm 
Post subject:
Personally it's not something I would do, i just think the risk of infection and the baby pulling them out , or them catching on clothes just really put me off . I don't think calpol would help if it was painful but maybe local aneasthetic cream would be better if you really feel you need to get them done Question
I remember that mine stung like crazy and were sore after, and i had to clean them twice a day for a while , can't see that being too easy with a baby Question
For me like Jonie said though it was something i waited to do until they were old enough to ask and understand it might hurt and actually appreciated having earrings Question xx
steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:15 pm 
Post subject:
i was going to get sam's done when she was about 18 months - 2 years, but decided against it as she hates me touching her ears to clean them.

i personally dont like seeing earrings on babies as i think it looks chavvy.

very few places will pierce children under 12 now. I know Claires accessories do, but they are overpriced and i hate the fact that they do it in the entrance to the shop so everyone watches. i found one place that would do children but they have now shut.

Jennifer256
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:59 pm 
Post subject:
Sorry and this is my PERSONAL opinion but I think its cruel, after having a baby in hospital over both and long period of time and also many other admissions and seeing him having NG tubes, cannuals and a picc line I would never ever ever inflict any unecessary pain on them.
I get his immunisations and do his blood sugar testing daily as they are essential to his health but something that causes pain for their parents own pure vanity reasons then no I don't agree with it.

I don't mean to offend anyone but I am really against it unless the child can ask for them doing.

I mean why???? xx

bunnymama
Posted: Sat May 05, 2012 3:21 pm 
Post subject:
i ageree with jen, sorry!!! id wait till she is old enough to decide 5 plus i reckon, what if the earings fall out, she pulls them out when healing as it may be sore and irritate her.what if they fall out and she swallows them. also think it looks silly on babies.. sorry nothing!!
Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:39 am 
Post subject:
Both my little girls have had theirs done, Beth was 8 months and Abi had hers done 4 weeks ago, Neither of them bothered when having them done, or touched or messed with them after, Cleaning is easy as most babies love their ears cleaning,
Even now my 2 1/2 year old wont touch her as they have been there so long they are just part of her, and she loves them, She goes around telling everyone she sees she has pretties in her ears and saws them, as they sparkle,

I think everyone as their own preference on everything, But in personal experience when they are so young its easily forgotten, and easily cleaned, As when they get a little older they dont like being messed with,

Did you decide to have them done sweetpea?

sweetpea24
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:56 pm 
Post subject:
I had them pierced at the beginning of May and she screamed for about 10 seconds. She is more upset getting a vaccination then when she had her ears pierced. She had no problems whatsoever afterwards.
I'm glad I got them done.
xxx

Jennifer256
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:02 pm 
Post subject:
Each to there own, I actually think it should be age restricted even with parental consent. xx

simmysim
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:34 pm 
Post subject:
aww im glad she was ok with it sweetpea Smile

and like said each to their own, i had mine done at 4m old so i have never known any different but i have to agree with Jen, i just couldnt do it! Holly keeps saying she wqants her ears pierced (she is such a girly girl!) but i just cant.

bet she looks well cute tho sweetpea lol
xXx
jAS11
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:49 pm 
Post subject:
I agree my daughter is not getting hers done until she is old enough to ask and understand I think they look chavvy. My OH wanted to her to get them done, so I asked in Claires if he was allowed to bring her in to do them and they said yes as long as he has her red book, so I hid it and then he forgot about them ha

KathG
Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:53 pm 
Post subject:
I agree with what Jen has said, I hate seeing young kids with their earings, they are perfect as they are. I got mine done at about 8-9 years I think (after months of begging) and I remember finding them uncomfortable, I couldnt sleep with my head to the side because the back of the earing would dig into my head!! I never wear earings now. But glas she was ok getting them done sweatpea everyones different but I think the older the better.

[/url]
WeeGem
Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:58 am 
Post subject:
I think it looks nice, but I would never have my LO done until she asks. Have had many piercings myself over the years, and know from experience the care that needs to go into them...you need to clean them twice daily for the first couple of weeks, and turn them regularly...as you know some babies/toddlers hate just having their face washed (mine at the moment would rather live like a hobo) let alone fiddling with their ears (which can be painful for the first week).

Its totally up to you...as for giving her calpol before having it done...I doubt that would help with the immediate pain and throbbing of the piercing. And not to mention the fact that if you go to any proper piercing studio, you have to sign a form to say you have not taken medication, drugs or alcohol prior to having the piercing done. Have never really asked the reasons for it...but im guessing its maybe something to do with bleeding...I know ear lobs dont bleed that much...but still had to sign that bit of paper to have it done.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Six Months to One Year All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Community

Popular