Winding baby

Luckyducky
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun May 06, 2012 7:37 am 
Post subject: Winding baby
Does anyone have any great tips for winding a baby? It sounds silly as I've done all this before with Poppy, but I seem to be taking ages winding Theo. I've tried all sorts of positions and we use infacol at every feed, but he doesn't seem to be able to bring the wind up easily. It's not so much of a problem in the day, but when a night feed is taking 2 hours because we're taking ages trying to wind him so he will settle again, it's getting rather tiring!

Anyone got a magic solution? He's generally pretty happy so it's not colic or anything, just taking a long time to settle after feeds until we eventually get a burp out of him!

Jennifer256
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun May 06, 2012 7:44 am 
Post subject:
God I am going to sound awfull here but I was told by a nurse that we are one of the only european countries that wind babies and she finds it weird that so many mums sit for hours trying to get this elusive wind out!

I couldn't be arsed with winding at night to be honest and would give a quick rub and pat then put them back down if they were really really fidgety and wouldn't settle at all I would pick then up and give them another quick pat and 9/10 if there was anything it would come up but with mine I think they just took a while to settle after a feed, probably just like I would after a big meal. xx

Clairebear30
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:31 am 
Post subject:
I didnt know that Jen - wow

I was told n told wind wind wind by my mum lol - so went for it with my first lol
We used infacol but changed to gripe water n get real big burps quickly - i mean belchers!

Infacol didnt fo much for us
What we do is feed half bottle then sit her up - sometimes just bending her tum to sit her up burps her - if not some rubs upwards mixed with pats at top seem to do it

I know oh used to do twists early on which we read worked n they did - likw gentle twists to each side n gentle daisy chain on tummy around bellybutton - all seemed to work

But not now - shes more solid n the pat rub works best but its def harder to get any now so its either she has less or who knows lol

Good luck x
Posted: Sun May 06, 2012 2:00 pm 
Post subject:
sam was actually pretty easy to wind, but if she was struggling, i would hold her with her back to my chest and arm across her stomach and tip her forward slightly. worked a treat, but oftem would bring some milk back with it!

Banoffee
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed May 09, 2012 1:07 pm 
Post subject:
If after a couple of minutes winding and nothing place baby on the floor flat on back. Leave them to wiggle for a few minutes then pick them up and should burp pretty easily/quickly.

Worked every time with my little man and if you think patting and rubbing for long periods of time can give them more wind ( like shaking a coke bottle)!
Posted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:44 pm 
Post subject:
I find at night I don't need to wind my LO for long, he'll settle straight away and because he's sleeping for a while he never seems to be bothered with it but during the day he can burp hours after a feed....

What I do if he doesn't burp at all is lay him flat on my lap for a minute or two and when I lift him up he always burps. We always give half a feed, burp him, change his nappy and give the rest of the feed, every time without fail when I've finished changing his nappy and lift him up he has a huge burp Smile

We also tried infacol for a few days and he really didn't get on with it

MingoMayo
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:26 pm 
Post subject:
We sit Samuel on our knees and bounce (very gently! or else you get more than burps! ) him and that usually get a burp... if it seems stuck though I tend to lay him down and then pick him up again in a few minutes to get it up instead...

Smile
x

abiD
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed May 16, 2012 7:33 pm 
Post subject:
Rosie went through a stage of not burping very well around Theos age. However, she seems to of got better with it now. I tried infacol with both girls, Faith it worked wonders, with Rosie it didn't work. Spoke to midwife and she said infacol doesn't always work for every baby. I don't worry too much if after 10 mins Rosie still hasn't burped at night, she may gripe about for abit in her basket but settles eventually X

Jump to:  

Community

Popular