what age is best to wean

ctinso
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:22 am 
Post subject: what age is best to wean
I have been giving leah-paige a few spoonfuls a day since 4 months but now im wondering if i should introduce more food she is nearly 5 months old so unsure as the health visitor has said nothing till 6 months ..i dont know why i am so worried as my daughter was on all different foods by this age i think iot may be cos leah was so small...has anyone else weaned yet and if so what and how often are you now feeding food lol xx
Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:48 am 
Post subject:
i started with cereal at 4 months, cos she was starving on a morning, then introduce fruit and veg purees from 20 weeks as advised by my hv. built up to 3 meals a day with pudding by 6 months, then moved onto lumpier food and finger food by 7 months.

Clairebear30
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:57 am 
Post subject:
Im thinking about trying some rice as Isabella is just not happy during day, she been on 7 oz for weeks n weeks - when box says 5 or 6 was enough! Shes always finished every bottle, was 91 st percentile for height n 75 for weight. I dropped the fith feed a month ago so only has 4 bottles now - but when get weight today im going to recalculate

Im trying not to wean as hv etc keeps saying noooo but its rediculous!!

Im interested to see the replies hun as its going to help me loads as this is my first baby

Hope you are both doing well Smile cant believe shes nearly 5 months!!!!

X
Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:47 am 
Post subject:
Thanks steph leah has had loads of different tyoes of foods and is loving it i think i will start breakfast tomorrow as well and see how we go lol

Claire you know when baby is ready not the h mine proper shouted at me but like i said to her i did same with my eldest who is a healthy 6 year old now so it cant be bad for them and its not like im over feeding like you leah is on 7oz and 4 to 5 bottles a day lol and i know 5 months eeek gone way to fast lol
i hope this post gives you some answers to lol its so hard knowing when to start i started leah at 4 months on baby rice then i added purred fruit to it now she wont have plain baby rice but loves sweet potato , apple , porridge , berries lol xxx
Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:46 pm 
Post subject:
Yes its stressful lol

Jusr got her weighed and shes still following 90th percentile for weight but they didnt measure her height again! I asked n they said next time maybe. But she was 91st for her height at 8 weeks so i want to know what it is now

Aghhh hv!!! Lol x
Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:33 pm 
Post subject:
I wouldn't worry too much about hv. I used to argue with them all the time (mainly when they told me Jamie was having to much formula when he was exclusively bf). Claire being big doesn't necessarily mean they need weaning early. Jamie was off the top of the graph (he was about 20lb by 4 months) but he was exclusively bf until 6 months. Not saying you shouldn't wean just that it doesn't have to be a reason

KathG
Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:46 pm 
Post subject:
I am waiting until six months for a few reasons -
callum is gaining weight happy and healthy on formaula, so dont feel a need to introduce solids.
Every health professional and book I have spoke to or read recommends waiting until six months - something about kindneys and intestine needing to mature I believe.
However I can see why people would want to wean earlier - he is so interested in foods (mouth wide open practically begging for a bit of whatever we are eating) and he looks so big (he is in six-nine months clothes and is about 19lbs already) it doesnt seem right that all he gets is milk part of me is like "surely he needs more" but he seems happy is sleppy well (once hes asleep that is Laughing ). I think trust your insticts if you think she is ready try her - some of the baby food say suitable from 4 months I am sure they cant be allowed to say that without it being true. xx

[/url]
Clairebear30
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:36 pm 
Post subject:
That makes sense, ive read gut not ready etc too

Its odd though as how come we r all ok? Think its like anything they find new studies n advice all the time n have to give the best advice overall i guess

Im going to wait until her sleeping seems to worsen as at min she sleeps fab at night so must b getting enough

X
Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:20 pm 
Post subject:
i have heard about gut but like claire said were all healthy as is my 6 year old i think there are new things every day in fact i was just reading that you shouldn't tell your child they are clever madness lol
Leah-paige has been so hungry today that from 7am to 4pm she had 4 bottle at 7oz in each and also her baby porridge she has just finished her 5th so hoping she sleeps thru(normally does ) as she eating way t much today lol xx
Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:48 pm 
Post subject:
Ohhh we wont be able to tell them they r pretty next lol

Sleep well lp sweetie x
Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 4:54 pm 
Post subject:
i know hun the world has gone mad lolxx
Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:11 am 
Post subject:
Weanings definately personal choice combined with if baby seems ready to me Question With mine if they went from sleeping through and being happy with just milk to waking more and never seeming full then i weaned them Question , with my first the recommended age was not before 3 months and he did start being weaned soon after that Question with my second it was still 3 months but she was more like 5 as she wasn't interested in food, they've all been different and I've gone off their needs , I've never waited until 6 months though and never had any issues with food allergies or intolerence or bowel or digestive problems Question .
I think maybe if kids have those sort of problems they will anyway and weaning before 6 months has just become a scapegoat for them in a way Question All the studies seem to throw up different results so it's just a matter of being sensible and sticking to natural foods that are age appropriate and only introducing them gradually and see how they go Question xx
Clairebear30
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:45 am 
Post subject:
Well said Nat
Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:27 pm 
Post subject:
Mum (who works in the medical world and can understand the studies) says part of the reason they changed the advice was because a lot of people weaned early and they felt 17 weeks was the earliest the gut was really ready for it. However, when the advice was 4 months then some people used to wean earlier than that.

It does depend though. Whatever the age has been we've always been told to wait until 6 months in our family because we have a lot of allergies. It does seem to have some impact as well. I was weaned much earlier as my Mum had to stop feeding me and I refused milk from a bottle and I have loads of stomach problems. However, I suspect if you weren't likely to get them anyway then it wouldn't matter - just might make them worse if you were

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Your Newborn Baby All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular