Maintaining/losing weight in pregnancy

GemGemz85
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue May 15, 2012 6:39 pm 
Post subject: Maintaining/losing weight in pregnancy
Hi ladies

I'm getting a bit paranoid about my weight gain this pregnancy. I have a high BMI to start with ( just over 30) and the midwife advised not to put on any weight if I could help it (very hard!). I've already put on about a stone. I put on 2.5 with my son and I dont want to do that again! I'm still an average 'size' though, not massive. I'm 5 ft 10 and a size 16, so not enormously fat for my height/build (in my opinion, others may disagree!). I'm desperate to slow down my weight gain and if possible lose a tiny bit (although I'm well aware strict dieting etc is bad in pregnancy). Any advise? Please don't bombard me with stories of skinny minnies who are still a size 8 and have only put on 2 pound because I might cry lol xxx

Banoffee
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue May 15, 2012 6:52 pm 
Post subject:
Ah dont worry! All you can do is just eat healthily. When i was pregnant i ate porridge for breakfast, a homemade fruit salad mid morning, salad/soup/ or something light with ryvita crackers, a yoghurt mid afternoon and then a normal meal meat, veg and always new potatoes only, i also had pasta meals and once a week a homemade curry. The only exercise i had past 18 weeks was a 40 minute walk 5 days out of 7. Even with all that i still gained 1.5 stone Unfortunately i have gained more since(healthy eating out the window and sitting at home all day!!)

So what im saying is everything in moderation on the eating front and a moderate walk each day or swimming is all you can really do. midwife was not been realistic saying not to gain any weight plus they dont take into account when weighing someone bone density or anything!
Posted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:59 am 
Post subject:
Gem,
Your mw needs a kick. Of course you are going to gain a bit of weight during pregnancy. It's dangerous to diet during pregnancy, but as long as you are eating healthily you are doing the best for you and your baby. Try to eat high protein low carbs.
Just keep walking and doing regular exercise . I was only weighed at the beginning because I lost a stone - but that plus more has been put on now Sad

I'm not allowed to diet at all cos I'm carrying more than one, but I'm eating healthily as much as I can.
Love Julie x

Our baby Eleanor lost 6 Apr 10
spinetingle
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed May 16, 2012 7:26 am 
Post subject:
I've put on a stone too and my BMI was 29. I'm trying not to think about it - I feel like I have enough going on with spd, heartburn, not sleeping etc etc Laughing
toots4
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:30 pm 
Post subject:
My mum said she gained 2.5 stone with my sister so when pregnant with me she watched what she ate and still put on 2.5 stone! Your pregnant, you will gain weight hun xx

- x - Never forgetting our 3 angels - x -
GemGemz85
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed May 16, 2012 5:21 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks for the replies ladies. Had a rubbish day at work today and I tell you what I WILL be having chocolate tonight regardless if I can't have wine!!! I just find it so annoying that it all comes down to numbers with the midwife, and they ignore the fact you can still be on the curvier side and still be fit and healthy. I ran a 10k race last summer weighing only a little less than I do now! I'm on my feet all day in my job and the rest of the time I'm chasing after my toddler. Not like I sit around stuffing my face! Well, baby has been kicking like mad all day so he/she is obviously fine regardles of the size of mummy's booty lol. Thanks for reassuring me xxx

caz007
Posted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:15 pm 
Post subject:
I know its hard but I wouldn't worry too much hun.

Your midwife is being unfair to worry you like that. My bmi is more than yours to begin with and my midwife didn't seem too worried about the weight thing, think some are worse than others. She just said to swim and walk and try eat healthily. I've put 10 pounds already and know its going to be a lot more when I start reaching the 30 week mark but putting on weight is to be expected considering all the extra fluid, blood, placenta, uterus, not to mention the babba! Don't they know we worry enough already!

Hope you enjoy the rest of your pregnancy xxxx

/]
Frival
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu May 17, 2012 10:51 am 
Post subject:
Hi Gem,

I have posted a few times about my weight gain last time around - I am 5'3" and was a size 8 last time when I got pregnant. I put on almost 5 stone over that pregnancy!! It was crazy! I was a bit self indulgent and didn't watch calories or anything but also, I think my body just likes to hold on to water and fat etc when I am pregnant! 4 stone of that was gone within 6 months of having my baby - the last stone never really left!!

This time around, when I discovered I was pregnant (at about 4 or 5 weeks) I was already up 5lbs!!It was what made me take a test.

I have now been asked officially not to exercise (or have sex!) because of some bleeding problems and this time around I was so determined not to gain so much weight. I have been eating much healthier than I normally would and walking some. But it is so hard not to indulge yourself too when you feel tired or fed up and not able to do the things you usually would, whether it is drinking alcohol or exercise, or going out or whatever. I tend to just give in when I get an urge for 'something nice' as it seems I am allowed to do so little that I like!!

I have a real bee in my bonnet about the weight gain in pregnancy issue as everyone is different, everyone gains and loses at a different rate and it is so hard to be strict with yourself when pregnant. Just worry about eating well for baby and getting the nutrients you need - don't worry too much about weight gain - you can deal with it after, when you aren't getting any time to eat anyway!! Smile

dellabobella
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu May 17, 2012 3:04 pm 
Post subject:
5ft 10 and a size 16 doesn't sound like it's a problem to me? I think the midwife is nuts saying that to you. I don't tend to gain much weight with my pregnancies (and neither does my sister so it must be a family thing) but I still manage to put on about 1 1/2 stone. So if I gain around 1 1/2 stone and don't really put weight on except bump etc then I'd say most people are going to gain around that amount before they even start. If you're not going mad eating loads of stuff that you usually wouldn't and you still out weight on then, imo and obviously I'm no expert, doesn't that mean it's just natural for you and what your body needs/wants?

DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:47 pm 
Post subject:
You're fighting your body on this one i'm afraid , as you're pre disposed to store fat whilst pregnant ,so there's no point upsetting yourself if you still gain despite your best efforts Smile
I wouldn't say the 2 and 1/2 stone you said you gained with your son was excessive , my gain was always around the 2 stone mark even with being careful about what i ate and being as active as possible Question
All you can do really is try and eat healthily and try and keep as active as you can .
Swimming is a good exercise while pregnant as the water supports your weight and you're not putting any stress on your joints, i found it was the one thing i could do when i had SPD , and it was great for easing backache ,plus its good for relaxing Very Happy
but really you can do most things as long as you feel up to them obviously it's not the best time for suddenly starting strenuous exercise but as long as you don't over do things and build up there's no reason not to exercise and even just walking can be great for toning it you get a good pace going ,
To actually lose weight though I would ask for advice from your consultant as it's not generally recommended to do that although you might find you do naturally lose a bit if you start to tone up and develop more muscle mass Question
As hard as it is I'd try and ignore any comments for now (especially from that moron of a midwife),and I think it's ridiculous these days the way people go on about celebrities if they gain a lb when pregnant and talk about how great someone looks a couple of weeks giving birth as though being stick thin and not gaining any weight is a healthy thing Rolling Eyes makes normal women feel even more pressured at a time when you should definately be able to be proud of your curves and not feel like you have to conform to some elses ideal of a body image Question
I would be tempted to put the scales away, give them to a friend or your mum and not get them back until after baby is here and just concern yourself with being healthy and as fit as you can be rather than getting fixated on the weight issue .
I think scales can be counter productive, you go on them and you've gained and the whole rest of the day you feel down and bad about yourself and then you're far more likely to comfort eat etc. and who needs that when you're pregnant Smile xx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Pregnancy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular