Is baby too young to go in own room??

kelchatters
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 8:29 am 
Post subject: Is baby too young to go in own room??
Hiya,

My little boy is 4 months, and still in our room. I think we are distrubing him and waking him up! I have put a few other posts recently about his sleep!

I know they say 6 months, but do you think 4 months is too young to be in his own room??

Any advice? what age was your baby?

xxxxxx
steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 8:56 am 
Post subject:
we put sam in her own room at 4/5 months. we also started sleep training, so i wanted her to get used to being in her own room from the start.

she was sleeping through anyway, but i found she would stir when we went to bed, and also i would wake at every little noise.

she slept loads better, and her dad used to go in to her on a morning when he got up and if she was awake bring her into me for a cuddle in bed whilst her did her bottle.

Clairebell29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 3:02 pm 
Post subject:
Thinking about moving George for the same reason, plus we live in town and our bedroom is at the front so can be noisy at weekends.
Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 8:10 pm 
Post subject:
It think its fine to move them a little earlier than the 6 months recommended I think most people actually do !
Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:22 am 
Post subject:
I'm moving house in a couple of weeks and lo will be 15 weeks and I'm putting her straight in to her own room, I think it's fine, as long as we have a baby monitor Smile xx

Ps I'm moving her in to her own room early because I didn't move my son until he was about 9 months and I wish I'd done it sooner as he was a terrible sleeper and would only sleep well with me!
Xxx

ggmarch
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:39 am 
Post subject:
All of mine have been out by 3 months, the sleep issue solved with the big ones, my little one shares her room and at 14 months still wakes a couple of times a night at least 4 nights a week.
Ange1979
Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:41 am 
Post subject:
Hi hun

We put Kimberley in her own room at 3 months as we thought she would sleep better and it would get her used to her own space Smile We've never looked back as she's a great sleeper (most of the time Laughing ) I do think it's personal preference though. As she was still quite small though, and to help her settle, we kept her in her moses basket and put this inside her cot Wink x

Clairebear30
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:33 pm 
Post subject:
Like the girls say its personal choice but all i can tell you is my experience Smile

My sil put her first in his own room after the first night as she couldnt sleep n never looked back. Her hv made her feel bad but she never relented n has a 4 year old who has slept well from day one. He still goes to bed easily at. 7pm each night n sleeps till 7/8am when they get up for school etc. shes pregnant with her second n says she will do the same

We had Isabella in a moses basket in our room. I got used to it n slthough any little cough would make me check her n sit bolt up im glad we did as early on she was mucusy n it would be coming out her mouth! But shes tall! N at 10-11 weeks she was filling her basket. Around then one night she kept kicking her covers off n her swaddle!!!!!! It also coincided with us deciding to drop her 10-11pm feed as we were keeping her downstairs with us then taking her up when we went to bed. We had to wake her to feed. So we decided to drop the feed. She went in her room in a cotbed in a sleepbag, with blackout blind, n movement n monitor on, n she slept through! So from. 12 weeks ish she has slept from
7/8pm till 8am ish n i swear the darkness, bed, sleepbag n slumberbear sound machine has aided her. We had her in our room for a few nights when we went away n pur sleep was terrible n she kept waking up at least 1-2 hours early!!! I decided we needed to be revived n well slept as did she, n as long as monitor was on, sleepbag, we dont smoke, temperature in room etc is fine, then that was fine!

I asked the hv before we did it n she said its only guidelines n u have to b practical, oe cant fit cot in our room n its not a mansion so not a problem.

I know a doctor who put hers in her own room at 11 weeks n sleeps well
Another mum has her in her room n she still wakes 2-3 times a night!!!!!

Good luck deciding. I know id do the same again if we have another x
Posted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:24 pm 
Post subject:
I think you have to take all this sort of guidance with a pinch of salt. The professionals have to err on the side of caution, but I think a lot of children are in their own rooms a lot earlier.

Poppy went in her own room at 3 months as she grew out of her moses basket and we couldn't fit a cot in our room. She also slept through at 3 months, and has always been a brilliant sleeper. I would do the same again, and am actually wondering about moving Theo earlier, as I know we are getting up to him and getting his bottle a lot earlier than he actually needs it, as we hear him stirring and assume he is waking up for a bottle. 90% of the time, by the time we've got the bottle, he's asleep again, and this can go on for 40 minutes or so before he actually wakes up for it. Either that or we end up feeding him half asleep just so we can get the bottle down him and get back to bed ourselves!

Do what works for you and what you feel happy with.

Banoffee
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:37 pm 
Post subject:
If you feel comfortable putting baby in own room then do it. Mine was in his cot in his own too from the first day I brought him home. I just felt comfortable with doingso and theyare guidelines only for 6 months. Some women like baby in their room till one I think that that's find too, again whatever you are comfortable with.
Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:50 pm 
Post subject:
when we moved from parents to our own place our son had his own room at 6months it was the best thing ever, but when we got broken into we had to move back to parents because the property was not safe to bring our kids up in, and now we have got one bedroom with me, oh, son, and daughter, and it is cramped

MingoMayo
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:17 pm 
Post subject:
We moved Samuel into his own room at 10 weeks... Shocked I know that is early... but hear me out:
He outgrew his moses basket at 9-10 weeks, and our bedroom isn't big enough to have his cot in with us, and his room isn't big enough to have me even on a sleeping bag on the floor... so we hooked up a monitor with sensor pad and put him in his own cot. The first night he was in there he fed as usual, I put him down half-asleep in the cot. Usually in the moses basket he would then wake with a start and want another cuddle... and wake every 20-30 minutes then to be re-settled until gone midnight... that night however, he looked up half-asleep, closed his eyes, and didn't wake until 3am. After that feed, he slept through until 6.30am. Honestly - he has never been more settled! He loves that he can stretch out and have his arms out like aeroplane wings rather than bunched up by his head in the basket!

Now - he gets put to bed in his cot in his room at 7pm... awake, and he listens to a bedtime story and then has a kiss and we just walk out of the room... we hear him settling himself down and within minutes he's asleep until his 1am feed. We get the biggest smiles when we go in at his 7am feed, and he's such a happy chappy in his own room - in a way I regret not doing it earlier... certainly regret not getting him out of the squashied up basket earlier - he's a starfish sleeper like me! Very Happy

I told HV what I'd done and said that I felt really bad that it was earlier than 6 months and she said 'don't worry about the guidelines - do what is right for you and baby - he obviously needed to be in his own room, bigger bed, and less disruption - it's fine!'

Hope that story helps you hun! x

Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular