Scans and estimated fetal weight

xxVictoriaxx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:05 am 
Post subject: Scans and estimated fetal weight
Hiya ladies, I had my final growth scan for this little one and they've estimated her to be 5lbs 12 already at 36 wks Smile

I just wondered what peoples experience was with scans predicting baby's weight, I know they can be quite far out as I had a scan with my son and he was estimated at 7lbs 3 but was born 12 days later at 6lbs 8. But just wanted to get an idea of whether others had a much more accurate estimation (or even further off!).

Thanks! xx

RacheynHarry
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:56 am 
Post subject:
I had a growth scan at 34 weeks, however they never said how much Harry was going to weigh.

My midwife kept saying he would be 9lb but he was 5lb 13oz when he popped out x

simmysim
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:42 pm 
Post subject:
IVE ONLY HAD GROWTH SCANS WITH MY LAST AND TBH IT WAS PRETTY ACCURATE! I HAD A SCAN AT 29 WEEKS N THEY SED HE WEIGHED 2LB 4OZ, WHICH WAS QUITE SMALL SO HAD TO GO BACK FOR ANOTHER AT 32 WEEKS AND HE WEIGHED 4LB 10OZ!! SHOCKED!! LOL BUT HE WAS BORN 2 WEEKS LATER AT 5LB 5OZ SO WAS ABOUT RIGHT :)XxX
libertytmk
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:48 pm 
Post subject:
Mine weren't accurate at all. They said he was 9lb2 at the last one I had (and that was consistent with the way they had him growing at all the rest) and five days later he was 8lb7. They told me he was going to be 10lb the day I had him. One thing I noticed was that they sometimes did some of the measurements twice and there could be a few mm difference which made quite a difference when they were calculating the weight.

Can't believe you're 36 weeks! That seems to have go so fast - although I'm guessing not for you

lysianassa
Posted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:19 pm 
Post subject:
I think with Sebastian they estimated him at 8lbs about 4/5 weeks before I went in for my induction. He was only 7lb 3oz

DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:44 pm 
Post subject:
Mine was wrong the other way, I had one at 33 weeks and they said 4lbs exactly and he was born 2 days later weighing 5lb 12 oz , so they were off by 50 % almost Shocked
Wow 36 already Victoria that seems to have gone really fast . If they're about right then it sounds like she might be almost 8lbs, so a nice weight for a girl Smile xx
xxVictoriaxx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:26 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks ladies, pretty mixed bag then. Loola, that was pretty good going for your scan, not heard many being so accurate!

Nat I can't believe they were so far out!! Shocked They say about 20% either way, but nearly 50% is mad! What a good weight for 33 wks though!
See that's what I had figured out too (her being about 8lb at term) and that's what I was worried about Laughing as ds was so small I don't know how I'll handle an 8lber Surprised (although I know many small women have bigger ones than that, but still....!)

Liberty, that's what I was thinking with the measurements because at this scan and a couple of the others they took quite a few measurements from the same places and there was quite a big difference with some, especially the head measurement at this scan, I'm sure she took 4 measurements! I think it was more difficult as she was right down in the pelvis and was wriggling around quite a bit.

I can't believe I'm 36 wks either! It has gone pretty quick, and I'm still not fed up Smile mainly because ds was nearly 2 wks late and it was so hard, so I've tried not to get my hopes up about this one arriving around her due date.

xx

DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:41 pm 
Post subject:
I wouldn't worry about an extra few ounces, it might not even make any difference to her size really , I know some of my lighter ones looked bigger than some of the heavier ones Question
and i didn't notice any difference in giving birth at the pushing stage between number 2 at 6lb 2 oz and number 3 at 7lb 14 oz Question
I was pretty surprised at my sons weight when he was born but he was still a tiny little thing , didn't look almost 6 lbs bless him , he was all little round belly and scrawny arms and legs, they did say he might have been almost 10lb full term though and the thought of that made my eyes water Shocked Laughing
FX she doesn't keep you waiting xx
xxVictoriaxx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu May 24, 2012 4:07 pm 
Post subject:
She looked chubby on the scan Laughing My ds was the same as yours, little round belly with scrawny arms and chicken legs Laughing he was 6lbs 8 at 12 days over & looked so tiny, so your little man did really well!
10lbs.....makes my eyes water too Surprised

Thanks Nat, I don't think she'll keep me waiting like the little man did, she seems far too eager and he was just very comfy and determined not to go anywhere (a bit like now when trying to get him out of bed for school Laughing) xx

toots4
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu May 24, 2012 4:51 pm 
Post subject:
In my experience they aren't accurate. I was scanned at 37+1 and at that stage they said he already weighed 8lb 7oz and booked me in for another scan the following week with the thought of possibly inducing me. He was born the day before the 2nd scan (at 38+1) weighing 7lb 3oz xx

- x - Never forgetting our 3 angels - x -
poogeday
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:43 pm 
Post subject:
jaime was estimated spot on at 9lbs, Leo was estimated at 5lbs 2oz at 40 weeks,which worried me as he was estimated at 5lbs at 35 weeks but he was born 2 weeks late also weighing in at 9lbs, think it depends on babys position alot of the time! xx
Posted: Thu May 24, 2012 7:14 pm 
Post subject:
i never had a growth scan, but my daughter was 5lb 12, at 5 days over, but she was really long. even though she was the right weight for tiny baby clothes she was too long for them

LianneJane5687
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:12 pm 
Post subject:
i can't remember exactly but i think at 34 weeks Amelia-Rose was estimated at almost 4lb, she was born at 40+5 weighing 7lb 9 so not sure how accurate that was!
My mums next door neighbour had a baby a couple of months before me, he weighed 8lb 3oz but looked smaller than what Millie did lol

sazz40
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Fri May 25, 2012 8:17 am 
Post subject:
Hi

I had a scan yesterday at 34+3 and theve estimated babys weight at 5lb 10oz. At my last scan 2 weeks ago it was 4lb 7oz, so seems on track.
dixxychick
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:06 am 
Post subject:
I never needed a growth scan cos Ellie always measured big anyway but when i had her they reckoned by holding her that she was gonna be around the 8lb Mark. The look on their faces when she weighed spot on 9lb was a complete picture, ill never forget it. But when i had drew, i was obv expecting her to be the same size but she came 2 wks early weighing 7lb 11oz so prob would have been huge if she had been on time. Although she was an "average" size baby, i was more concerned that she was too small cos id been expecting a monster HAHA xx

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Pregnancy All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Community

Popular