need help desperately!

EmzyLouPlusThree
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:29 pm 
Post subject: need help desperately!
My baby is now 3 weeks old, he is bottle fed and will ony take between 60 and 90 ml on a feed, however he only wants the first 30 ml i have to really encourage the rest down him, he then is hungry 2 hours later , but he takes an hour to feed so i get very little time to do anything else, not good as i have a 1yr old and a 2 yr old , i have not had more than 2 hours sleep in a night since he was born, often less, I am so tired i have blurred vision constant headaches and poor balence, my eldest children are really suffering too as i am barely meeting there needs Sad , i just dont know what to do! he is so tired after a small amount of milk it is impossible to get him to drink anymore , i need a routine and i need sleep, i have tried hungry baby milk, fast flow teats , neither made any difference , desperate for any ideas anybody may have? spent the whole night sobbing my heart out because i just cannot cope and get zero support from anybody , any ideas ? xx
Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 5:20 pm 
Post subject:
Awww hunny, big hugs!! The only things I can suggest are what worked for me in the end, biger teats, I went onto size two pretty quick then vari-flow pretty quick as both mine tired our really quick with the 1st teats and would literally pass out and want feeding all time, also I used a dummy to try and space feeds out a bit more, then when Charlotte was 9/10 weeks I put her on hungry milk.

Also I was a lot stricter with Charlotte she spent a lot of time either on the play mat or in the basket and I wouldn't run to her like I did with Archie for every little thing even at night and she is more content, forward, chatty and sleeps far better than Archie ever has.

xx

EmzyLouPlusThree
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 5:25 pm 
Post subject:
thanks hun, i have already moved onto med flow but will def get some fast flow ones this weekend and will carry on with the hungry baby for a while, or maybe change brand Confused we use a dummy but it only works for 5 mins, will look into buying a play mat as he isnt keen on his bouncer , loves his swing but only while hes sleeping he doesnt want to be in there when awake xx
Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:00 pm 
Post subject:
We have tommee tippee bottles n u can get xflow (x shape holes) vari flow teets. They say they allow milk to flow as much as baby wants as if they suck hard it opens up x on teat lots n so milk flows quick n vice versa

We moved onto size 2 teats quick but thought x flow sounded good as saved keep getting next size up. Isabella drinks alot n can empty a 7 oz bottle with xflow teat in 3 min tops! But when ur little one is so young it may just help get that 3 ounce in them b4 they get tired of sucking etc- worth a go

Issy cried non stop the first few weeks when i was trying to breastfeed n would fall asleep sucking - id try n put her down n she would wake up. I felt like i was dieing! No sleep, didnt drink or eat enough. Felt spaced out everyday, like on drugs, covered in coldsores etc. i knew something wasnt right n she was hungry but mw wouldnt listen! Then found out not getting much milk from me n her weight dropped by 13% by day 11. I had been right! Got her on aptimil n she was so content! But since shes always wanted more milk n empties every bottle.

We found in those early days to help her sleep the sound machine that comes with a prince lionheart slumberbear worked a treat, if she started to stir it settled her, we also tried ssshhing n rocking n dummies lol but all woke her up!

All i can say is it does get better, n that day could be tommorrow! They can just change overnight n once you get a good few hours sleep ull feel so much better !

X
Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:03 pm 
Post subject:
thanks hun, will defo pick up some variflow teats then Smile , my oh done the night feeds last night so feel half human but now have a grumpy oh instead Rolling Eyes , i know it will get better soon, but i'm so pathetically optamistic , every night i'm convinced he will sleep for 4 hours but it makes it harder when he gets up after an hour !! dont get paid til wednesday so cant buy teats til then Crying or Very sad cant wait lol xx
Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:01 am 
Post subject:
Glad u got some rest chick. I read that its best to swap who does night feeds every two days i think it was so u get most benefit out of sleeping through so try n get him to do one more night n then swap. Smile

For us in the early days we both were awake for night feeds n i felt supported as trying to breastfeed but as soon as bottles began we changed - theres no point u both being knackered when one can take the duty that night so other can b full of beans n take over in the morning n look after ur other little ones. But that was when just 1-2 wakes a night, i think id scream if it was so frequent as ur coping with. I remember sitting feeding one night n oh had fallen back to sleep n judt crying, when will it end i thought. But it was because she was hungry, it was simple for her. Whereas when we got her on formula, As she got a week older each time u could see the slerps getting. 5 mins longer each time n since 6 werks she slept from 10-11pm til 5/6am. But week b4 it was 2.30/3am waking. We dragged it put trying to get her to settle again so longer between feeds to try n help her learn, but when we wrre so tired id just feed her to get back to sleep quick.

I do believe routines helped us, i got giba ford n baby whisperer but still havent finished reading them lol, but i did try n stick to 4 hourly feeds. N the most important bit i read is they have to have enough milk in the day to cover the night in order to sleep longer which is why many advise cluster feeding at night b4 u put them down. We tried doing multiple small bottles at night to try that but she got angry n slept worse too. It says if u ensure they get their entire days milk requirement in the day - when they r physically able to sleep through, or longer they will. Perhaps ur littleone isnt getting enough in day as of way feeding. But its hard if they fuss n wont take it. I hope the teats work hun , let me know

Ohh they dont have reflux do they? Heard that can interfere with feeding - may b worthwhile asking docs x
Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:07 pm 
Post subject:
thankyou for the advice <3 means alot to chat to people that understand how i feel!! pleased to say things have improved a bit, last night he had a bottle at ten, slept from half 10 til 2 fed then slept from half 2 til 5 so a huge improvement from what was happening before! still knackered as he only settles between a few feeds aday the rest he cries and is unsettled but the improvement has reminded me that things will get better Smile xxx
Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:10 pm 
Post subject:
Fab, glad u got a bit more rest Smile good luck for payday n trying the teats too x

Jump to:  

Community

Popular