possible autism??

amesymc
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:42 pm 
Post subject: possible autism??
Hi

Just wondering if you can help me? Alfies childminder has brought up that she thinks alfie has sensory issues and its got me extremely worried. Hes had his 2 year check and the HV didnt pick up any issues apart from delayed speech but he does seem to be getting a bit better. In the past week hes learnt "night night" and "wheres it gone". Apart from that he says mayve ahandful of words but the rest is gobbledy gook. She said that they dont get concerned until he is 2 and a half so she'd be in touch in a fdew months time.

Ive always thought he was a little "odd". He loves spinning wheels on his cars and trucks and he sometimes wanders around in circles. Hes also licking things quite alot and sometimes walks on his tip toes. Very rarely he blanks out and I have to say his name a few times before he clicsk back into action. When Ive looked it up these are allhis bad points linked to autism.

However, hes really happy and sociable. He is always smiling and laughing and playing with his friends and our dog. He adapts really well to change - hegoes to a childminders 2 days a week and is really good. He can sleep out at my mams, or my aunties and it doesnt bother him. He does like to play by himsef but hes an only child so thats what hes used to but he also plays catchy or hide and seek with his friends. He points to what he wants if he can say it. He's really loving (to me and my husband altho my mam says she thinks hes not) he gives me loads of kisses and cuddles and and gives high fives and has just started to count on his fingers. He gives really good eye contact and does actions for nursery rhymes. He sleeps all night, as well as a 2 hor nap in the day and he eats everything and anything!

Im going out of my mind as hes my little boy and I just think he might be slow and a little weird. He didnt walk till he was 17 months.

Has anyone got an advice? x

[/url]
Jennifer256
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:17 pm 
Post subject:
I am trying not to worry too much about Archie as he is very behind with speech and language, and also has a few other autistic 'markers'. I have spoken to Archies speech and lang therapist and she said that when a child is struggling to communicate it can present like autism, also he has glue ear and children with that can play alone, ignore you etc all again 'makers' for autism.

Archie is a loving happy little boy, cope well with change just not lack of sleep Rolling Eyes so I am hoping when he talks more it will even out and I won't have to worry about autism xx

LauraG
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:20 pm 
Post subject:
My daughter has been referd to be assessed for autism and shes getting seen by the educational psychologist next week. She struggles with change, cant cope in a large group, can be social 1 minute and screaming the nxt, she is violent, she walks on her tip toes, she doesnt understand emotions or danger, she has gd eye contact, she likes to stick to same routine, she spends hours lining up animal figures and dus them by order of colour, size etc., she is delayed in speech and understanding and the list just keeps goin.

I think the fact that ur hv hasnt picked up on anything is a gd sign.

steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:38 pm 
Post subject: Re: possible autism??
amesymc wrote:
Ive always thought he was a little "odd". He loves spinning wheels on his cars and trucks and he sometimes wanders around in circles. Hes also licking things quite alot and sometimes walks on his tip toes. Very rarely he blanks out and I have to say his name a few times before he clicsk back into action. When Ive looked it up these are allhis bad points linked to autism.

my daughter does most of that! especially the licking things Laughing

i would keep on eye on the blanking out as it can be a type of epilepsy. i cant remember the name of it, but one of my sisters friends has it, and they dont have fits, but 'space out'[/quote]

thatonethere
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:58 am 
Post subject:
Hi the spacing out can be petit mal seizures, a form of epilepsy, but I'm not saying it's that! My son has been diagnosed with high functioning autistic spectrum, he likes routine, ordering things into lines and sizes, wheels etc. Ask your gp for a referral to see a paediatrician if you're worried, don't wait cos the process takes a long time to get children into the system if there is something they need additional help and support for, and they need everything in place for childminders and schools to get the support they need to when they go x
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Special Needs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular