Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:48 pm
Post subject: Unsure :(
Hi all, I started spotting Monday and had some pain, was sent to epau Monday night for an internal scan and bloods, couldn't see anything on scan as still very early, bloods only 247, repeat bloods went up to 318, then down to 158 today, back n Sunday as they suspect an ectopic,
I'm worried as I've hardly had any bleeding, just very very light spotting, and not everyday.
If it is ectopic what will the treatment be, I should have asked today but was so upset when I was told xxx
Thanks in advance xxx
Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:40 pm
I'm sorry to hear that you're going through this.
With suspected ectopics, many doctors use the 'wait and see' option where they just repeat your hcg beta blood tests and repeated scans to indicate what is going on. Unfortunately that policy seems to lead to more women being rushed into surgery to have their tube removed
If an ectopic is confirmed, then there are two options - either you can have the surgery where your tube is removed, generally this is keyhole surgery as the recovery time is much sorter, or you can have the drug (something beginning with Mex) which is injected into either the fetus or your bum. You typically have two injections but you cannot try to get pregnant for 6 months as it takes that long to get the drug out of your system.
Whatever you do, whatever happens, make sure that you ask the doctors every question you can, and don't let them fob you off with the wait and see approach as they are putting your life at risk if the tube does rupture (sorry, don't mean to frighten you). Any questions, just come back here. Experiencing an ectopic is a scary time but we've been there so we know how you feel.
Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:29 am
Thank you for your reply, is really is a worrying time, and I think the not knowing is making it worse. Have a repeat blood test tomorrow, nurse said it they go up its an ectopic and if they go down its a pregnancy that didn't take.
Obviously I'm hoping for the second option, but so unsure on how to go about things, I think I would opt for the operation as I've had two miscarriages before and they came away at home, it was a horrific experience and don't think I can go through that again
As for trying again I just know.....
So much to think about xx
Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:33 am
The thing is with some ectopics your hcg levels can rise then fall but still grow in your tube. So you need your doctor to ENSURE FOR CERTAIN that it is either a miscarriage or an ectopic that has died on its own. If it is this case, your doctor should monitor you until your hcg levels return to zero - don't be fobbed off by doctors who say its unneccessary because they are talking out of their backsides
It's hard dealing with both miscarriages and ectopics, I've had 6 miscarriages and had my surgery for my ectopic this month last year (the year has gone by so quickly) but even with my fertility issues I fell pregnant about 4 months after the surgery so it is very possible that you will fall pregnant again. But it is a hard decision to make, do I wait or do I stop trying at all to save future heartbreak? That's only a decision you can make but I would suggest that you take the time to grieve no matter which scenario this takes as it makes you feel stronger for whatever decision you do make.