I am at my wits end :(

Clairebell29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:25 am 
Post subject: I am at my wits end :(
I am turning into a crazy women! George has always been hard in the day, not having regular naps, wanting constant entertaining and to be carried around with me. His saving grace was he slept ok at night. If he woke for a feed he went straight back to sleep.

This is not the case anymore. We had him on infracol for his colic and the trouble started when we stopped this at 4 1/2 months. this also coincided with moving him out of his moses basket into a crib. At this stage he had the odd bad night, odd good one. decided just over a week ago to move him in to his cot as we were waking him and things have gone from bad to worse. He goes to bed ok but then wakes a few hours later and takes hourd to settle. He will sleep in our arms but wake and winge/cry as soon as we put him down. He seems to be really suffering with wind and unable to settle himself. A different thing seems to work at different times and there is no set pattern every night seems to be different.

We have started BLW and I wonder if this could make things worse? Should i try the puree route instead. Going to try just Bfeeding and baby rice for a few days see if he's better. A few times when he has woken early hours of the morning I have put his mobile on and let him winge and he has fallen asleep.

He has a bedtime routine but it is quite late at the moment (last feed 8.30/9) and he is very tired and goes to bed fine but I struggle to get any wind up as he is sound asleep after his feed.

Anyone experienced anything similar, got any ideas? I feel like a wreck at the moment and am just not coping well at all. I have 4 nights a week on my own as well.
Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:50 pm 
Post subject:
I wouldn't have thought blw would be making it happen as they will be taking what they need from their milk but if you think he might be hungry you could always do a mixture of baby led and purees.

Have you tried moving his bedtime forwards? It could be that his too tired and then can't settle properly.

How do you settle him down initially and do you pick him up in the night when he wakes up. I'm certainly no expert in this area (my baby didn't sleep through the night until he was 11 months and wasn't doing it regularly until over a year) but these are some of the things we tried.

Having something in the cot with him. Jamie has a seahorse that lights up and he sets it off when he wakes up and it settles him back down

Is he too hot or cold? Jamie gets unsettled if his at the wrong temperature and we discovered that 18 was actually a bit cold for him

Playing around with blankets and sleeping bags. Jamie started in bags, then went into baskets, then back into bags.

Not picking him up. I used to sit next to Jamie and rub his back once he started sleeping better until he settled down (he was still feeding in the night at the age George is)

Introducing a dream feed in case his hungry

Doing anything necessary to get him to sleep in the day. I used to lay down in bed with Jamie or take him out in the car as that was the only way he'd sleep and we discovered he slept better at night if he'd slept in the day

Is he teething or has a learnt something new? That can often unsettle them and so can a growth spurt.

May be that you've tried all of the above but I hope that you find something that works

jenneve
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:46 pm 
Post subject:
i feel for you hon. gabriel dosent sleep in the day either but ok at night. i say ok at night but he wakes twice and takes around 20 mins to settle and thats even when we use a dummy ( which i hate giving him but hey it works!)

we control cried evelyn but i think she was a bit older around 7 or 8 months i think. which was hell for 3 nights but worth it.

if you only moved him last week maybe hes still just getting used to a bigger space to sleep in or not being close to you. i dont think 8.30 is all that late to put a baby to bed. we found eve slept alot better in sleeping bags than blankets and strangely enough she prefered the wall to be to her left and still does!

kelchatters
Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:48 pm 
Post subject:
Hiya,

I am having a simialr issue at the moment, my little boy is 5 months on Thursday and the first 3.5 month slept great, however the last few weeks been unsettled during night, sleeps ok until midnight/1am then keeps waking!

We have moved him onto hungry milk today to see if that helps matters! He can't settle himself during the night at all, and sometimes we are up 30 mins trying to settle him down again. He sleeps good during the day, today had 3 hours, 1 in the morning and 2 in the afternoon.

At the mo we are trying the following:

Put him in a sleeping bag, he likes to be snug so we also put a celluar blanket over him too. (when it's not hot out)
Got a slumberbear to try and help settle him when he wakes
Got black out blinds
Put him on hungry milk

Hope you get a good nights sleep soon! I do know how you feel hun xxx
Clairebell29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:01 pm 
Post subject:
I don't think he's hungry in fact wondering more if the opposite as he seems to be loving the food and will eat and eat. I wonder if his digestive system is struggling to cope especially as with the blw he is not chewing it right down so small lumps to digest rather than a smooth puree.

He had 3 massive poos today so i wonder if he is having too much. When solely breastfed would often go 3-4 days without one.

In the evening he has a bath with me, gets dressed in his PJs and sleeping bag, has some booby and then to bed. I do struggle to wind him as he is so sleepy and either stays asleep or wails as I have woken him. At this point he usually goes in his cot fine.

I do pick him up when he wakes and if it's a while since last feed then will offer a feed, which sometimes he doesn't want. Sometimes he will settle after this and others he has been up for 3 hours.

I have noticed he sleeps better when he is toasty.

What is the seahorse thing it sounds good as his mobile does sometimes settle him?
Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:25 pm 
Post subject:
I can only tell you what ive noticed effects Isabellas sleep

She wont sleep much in the day - 30 mins three times a day is about ur lot. But she sleeps 7.30pm till 8am. She has since 13 weeks. If we leave it too late at night she gets sooooo tired n upset n falls asleep on her last feed meaning poor winding, so we start around 6.30 n by 7.15 usually shes in bed n falls to sleep on her own. In cotbed, in sleepbag, blackout blinds, slumberbear wave sounds on. She used to have a dummy but hasnt wanted it for last 8 weeks or so.

We noticed any bit of light coming into her room via open door etc disturbs her when shes going between deep n light sleep so we close all doors leading to landing so not much gets into her room which we leave door slightly open. Also if say we r out n she goes to bed in her carseat she wakes up lots, bever gets into good sleep n disturbing her makes ger wake abit earlier in morning for some reason.

When is baby feeding? I heard its good to try new foods etc in morning so if get tummy ache its not at night. Wind def wakes issy up which is why we still use gripe water n ensure we dont feed too late n she is awake for her feed. If we give her bath its a good 30 mins b4 milk so shes still awake n not drowsy from bath

Issy is hard to settle in day for naps so doesnt work in day but she knows when her bedtime is n her routine n hardly ever fusses now. Theres no way she could stay up near 8 with the amount of sleep she has in day. I was even thinking of trying to put her down around 6.30 yo try as shr gets so tired

So try food at different time if its lunch or nightime, try dark dark dark room, n try set routine (at night shes washed in pha, has milk, then up into her room , in sleepbag n last ounce of feed, wave machine on, kiss n door closed)

Im sure uv tried all these but hope you get a plan that helps x
Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:50 am 
Post subject:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fisher-Price-Soothe-and-Glow-Seahorse/dp/B00143UZCA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1339487350&sr=8-2

That's the seahorse. We found it worked a lot better than his musical thing that attached to the cot

Clairebell29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:48 am 
Post subject:
Little toad slept through last night, 9 - 8.30. Just gave him some Baby rice with apple for lunch and a rusk to eat at tea time. He has been having Lunch and Dinner. I will try just bland for next few days and if he is more settled will slow down his weaning and just bland small meal at tea time. He is soooo greedy and i think we were letting him have too much.

The dark doesn't seem to bother him as if he's had a bad night he'll sometimes sleep till 9.30 and the light is seeping in then.
Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:35 am 
Post subject:
To me it sounds like he isn't getting enough sleep.

How much sleep does he get in the daytime. At 5 months Alex was still having a sleep every 2 hours ish (altho all babies are different) these sleeps last anywehere from 20 mins to 1 hour. Often the only way to get him to sleep in the daytime was taking him a walk, he would never sleep in his cot in the day (and in fact I've old got him to do this in last 2 weeks and he's now 11 months).

Secondly I would say his bedtime is too late. If a baby gets overtired then they don't sleep as well.

I'd try bringing his bedtime forward to about 7.30. At 5 months Alex was still waking up 2 or 3 times a night.

Clairebell29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:47 am 
Post subject:
He has around 1 1/2 - 3 hours in the day usually in two or 3 blocks. Last night finally got him down at 9.30 then woke at 10. got him back to sleep in my arms but screamed as soon as went in his cot. Finally went down after a feed at 12.30. Slept till 5.15, was wide awake after feed, put him in bed with his mobile on and little winge and dropped off by himself to 9 o clock.

He seemed to be suffering with wind a bit last night although whether the crying was doing it I don't know. Feel like I have a newborn again but a lot heavier.

I am wondering also whether need to make bedtime earlier, won't be able to get up at 9 when i go back to work in a couple of months.

He used to wake, feed and resettle easily.
Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:17 am 
Post subject:
so up to 3 hours in the daytime isn't too bad, I'd try over a few weeks to reduce to to 2 hours even if that means waking him up.

Bedtime. At 6.30 take him up for a bath, let him play in bath for 20-30 mins.
7pm (ish) dry and cuddle.
7.15pm Bottle
7.30pm put in cot (here is where you pick what you want to do). I just stay and stroke Alex's back until he falls asleep, however when he was you lo's age I had to put on his mobile as well.

If he cries, try to soothe him in his cot, by stroking and sssshing very quietly.

WE also had issues when Alex was 5 months ish on keep waking, it did pass after 6-8 weeks but it was hard work.

Clairebell29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:04 pm 
Post subject:
Thankyou, think we are going to have to try something different. He is very difficult to soothe in his cot but maybe it's because he's too tired as when put him back down in the morning he does ok.

I spoke to the health visitor today who has asked me to keep a diary and then someone will come and visit.

Jump to:  

Community

Popular