Really painful breastfeeding any tips?

Nomechompski
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:24 am 
Post subject: Really painful breastfeeding any tips?
Hi everyone.

I'm breast feeding my new baby girl Scarlett. She took to the breast straight away do we've been feeding her this way since Thursday.

Yesterday and today though my nipples are very sore. It looks as if they have scabs on them or something! And when I put her on to feed the pain is really bad. I don't want to have to stop breast feeding so soon because of this though. She seems to be latching on and suckling very well and she seems to have a lot of my nipple in her mouth. The midwife said I'm positioning her correctly.

Does anyone have any tips on how to stop or prevent this? Or is there any cream available in shops that would help me?

Naomi. [/list]
pepperpot
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:32 am 
Post subject:
I found exactly the same with my boy and his latch was fine. There is a cream called lanolin (in a purple tube) that's about £10 but you can get it on prescription. It looks like vasoline but you don't need to take it off before you latch her on.

Also letting the air get to them, not letting your breast pads get to wet, cabbage leaves down your bra too!

And make the mw check for tongue tie just in case.

Good luck, won't be long before they settle down xx

DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:33 am 
Post subject:
Kamillosan ointment for sore nipples, i discovered it after my nipples got sore the first time I breastfed (they ended up cracking and peeling Shocked ) so next time round i had it ready and used it before they got sore and never had the same problem again, I think it's great stuff, used to get it from boots , it's about £4 a tube xx
Nomechompski
Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:00 am 
Post subject:
Thanks for that girls. I'm sending OH out just now to get some. I'll try anything at the moment. They're very sore and it's making me dread every feed Sad
DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:11 am 
Post subject:
It's not nice is it Sad Have you tried maybe having baby in a different position too? I know I used slightly different positions with all mine as some were more comfy than others(my last used to virtually sit up Shocked Laughing ) baby should always have their body facing your body , and their head and neck in a straight line and your back should always be straight,extra cushions can help as even the slightest bit of tension on your boobs can make your nipples sore . I could never do the lying on your side one they often recommend after a section, but some people find that takes the pressure off Question
Getting lots of air is good as well and rubbing a little breast milk in after a feed is supposed to help to, unfortunately with your first i think your nipples just need to toughen up a little as well as they're just not used to it, FX you get it sorted soon , if they look red or shiny or you notice white patches in baby's mouth or on your nipples then it could be nipple thrush as well and that needs treating asap, but just for general soreness the kamillosan is great Smile Good luck xxx
Nomechompski
Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:15 am 
Post subject:
I will try keeping her in a straight line. I didn't think about that but it makes sense! She's a bit awkward to place at the moment because it's as I'd she likes to hold onto my boob while she's feeding lol I feel like I'm squashing her little hands bless her!

Is it true breast fed babies do t get much wind? I do try to wind her after every feed and spend a good 10 minutes patting and rubbing her back but nothing ever comes up. Unless I'm doing it wrong?
pepperpot
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:53 am 
Post subject:
If you can't get much up don't worry some babies just aren't very windy. I remember Sophie hardly burped at all for the first couple of weeks and she fed fine. I'm sure you're not squashing her, she will soon let you know if you are! It does feel like their hands are in the way sometimes.

Also try not to let baby feed for more than 20 mins a side because they fall asleep and just start using you for comfort which isn't nice when you're so sore. It means they wake up properly.

There are a lot of breastfeeding support groups and numbers you can ring who are great at giving helpful advice xx

libertytmk
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:49 pm 
Post subject:
I found for the first week or so it was bad when Jamie latched on but it got better after that

spinetingle
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:32 pm 
Post subject:
Cammilosan all the way - it's literaly the only thing that worked slightly for me. I founds BF very painful till 8 weeks - I hope it gets better for you soon!
xx
DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:23 am 
Post subject:
Most of my breast fed babies weren't windy and if they didn't burp when i sat them up after a feed then I didn't try to wind them Question I just figure if its there it will come out and if they settle and sleep they can't be uncomfortable Question
babies often seem to like to grab your boobs when feeding Laughing , it reminds me of the way kittens nd puppies knead their mums to get more milk Shocked Laughing only time I found it a problem is when they had sharp nails Shocked
As long as her back is straight and her body is in line with her head (not sort of turned to the side) and her tum is pointing towards yours then the direction you hold her in is just a matter of what you find most comfortable with your section wound :)xx
spinetingle
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:55 pm 
Post subject:
Just to let you know I checked the prices of Kamillosan and Lansonil, Kamillosan is £4.50 ish in boots and Lansonil is £11.
xx
Nomechompski
Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:55 am 
Post subject:
Scarlett does that kneeding thing like a kitten lol. Sometimes it's even as if she holds my boob like a bottle!

I'm holding her in a straight line against my body now and sometimes I even lie down with her and I have to say, it's do much better. Still a bit painful at first but a lot better. I feel like she's more satisfied from her feeds too.

I bought the lancinoh and have been using it loads. It's really good stuff. Thanks everyone.

Xx
jenneve
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:52 am 
Post subject:
i used lanasoh expensive but it worked. i also tried the rugby ball hold and found that eased the pain while they healed.

xMandyx
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:52 am 
Post subject:
How's the feeding going now?

Mine are still pretty sore, it's the toe curling moment when he latches on but it's ok once he's going. My boobs are like rocks at the moment, my milk came in on Wednesday and I look like I've had a boob job. The lanisoh is helping with the soreness too.

Anyway hope it's going well x

jenneve
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:19 pm 
Post subject:
it gets easier ladies im so proud of myself that ive been doing it for 8 weeks now.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Your Newborn Baby All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular