First Proper Walking

fletchie
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:21 pm 
Post subject: First Proper Walking
Hi,

My 21 month old has JUST started walking without support, and im looking for some advice on how best to help her. We have reins for her.

She will mainly walk with the reins with her holding your finger lightly. She will take a few steps herself, but shakily then falls to the floor. At times she seems happier crawling and i dont want to push her too far, too soon.

She doesnt like being in the pram for too long and quite reguarly stands up in pram or squirms to get out. I do get her out of pram when she does this (when i can). She then walks forward for about ten paces at the most then goes onto her hands and knees and starts to crawl. When lift her up to standing, she starts moaning. What am i doing wrong?

Any advice, greatly appreciated.
StaceyRD
Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:03 pm 
Post subject:
What about standing behind her and holding both hands and helping her walk that way? It might be that she just knows crawling is quicker so doesn't yet want to change.

Just to reassure you - a friend of mine has two daughters, the first walked at 24 months. Her second is only just properly walking now and she's just turned 28 months - she didn't take her first steps until gone 26 months, not for any reason, just because they all develop at different rates! x

fletchie
Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:15 pm 
Post subject:
My daughter was born with bilteral hip dysplaysia and has numerous operations to try and fix her hips. She spent 3 months last year in a body cast to hold her legs and hips in a certain while they healed.

She has been walking with 2 hands holding her for months and last month started walking with one hand support her. It was jst this week she has started taking her 1st unassisted steps. Ive found this site really good for advice, so looking for advice in helping her to walk unassisted.

Just wondering what everyone else did?
libertytmk
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:33 pm 
Post subject:
I would just let her take her time. When Jamie started walking he still chose to crawl most of the time. Then Christmas Day (so he'd just turned one and took his first steps at 101/2 months to give you an idea of time) he worked out how to stand up in the middle of the room without any help and after that he just walked everywhere. We didn't do anything to help. He just needed to get his confidence up and I think, as Stacey said, that crawling is so much faster for them they tend to keep doing it for a while

DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:26 am 
Post subject:
I found the same when they first start walking they tend to just walk a few steps and then drop back to crawling because it's quicker but over a few weeks as they get more confident they just switch on their own to walking more , but if one of you holds her up and the other stands and holds something out to her , a toy or just your hands and then makes a big fuss if she walks to grab it then it might encourage her Question xx
StaceyRD
Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:54 pm 
Post subject:
Sorry, I didn't know she'd had hip problems, was just trying to offer advice Smile

jane1978
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:40 pm 
Post subject:
Has she got a push along walker ? it will help her to develop the muscles she needs but without making her too tired and giving her a little support. I wouldn't try and rush her - starting to walk is very tiring for children. Her pattern for walking then crawling etc is normal for children just starting to walk its just your little girl is slightly older than most. she'll walk more and crawl less as time goes along. Not much you can do to encourage her except giving her oppertunity to move about and praise.

Has she got proper fitted shoes ? these often help with walking too x
Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:31 am 
Post subject:
Hiya hun

Our DD is 1 next Sunday and she loves crawling and walking - there's no stopping her now Laughing We started her off in a sit down type of walker and helped her learn by pushing her around to begin with, then she progressed to a push along walker which we used to support so it didn't run away from her and she learnt to control it. She then went on to cruising around the furniture (still does Smile) and now she can manage to get up and just walk a bit unaided - takes us by surprise sometimes Wink We found that standing her up, holding her whilst she got her balance then moving backwards and calling her with our arms out ready for a big cuddle and kiss, really helped Laughing She will only do it when she wants though so just be patient with your LO - she's progressing nicely Smile It all takes time but they get there xx Clap

michelletv
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:23 pm 
Post subject:
My daughter is 15 months and started walking 2 weeks before her first birthday. i've noticed that her left foot is always almost pointed inwards, which causes her every so now and again to trip over her foot. if she walks around in socks or mops, then she seems to walk on her toes. She is however not very stable on her feet yet and to top it all, my husband walks her around as if she is in her own personalised seat. drives me insane. i am forever having to remind him to put her down, she needs to strenghten her ankles.
all children develop at their own pace. any others experience what i am experiencing.

love to all.
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:14 am 
Post subject:
thats great that shes now walking.

sounds liek ur doing the right things, maybe a push a long walker would help her and offering her a toy and making her come get it will give her something to focus on.

fletchie
Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:24 pm 
Post subject:
MichelleTV,

I dont want to worry u unnecessaryily, but my daughter was like that, she would walk with her feet at wrong ankles and would walk on her tiptoes.
Her physio (she has other physical problems she sees her physio for) diagnosed hypermobilty. This is where joints are more supple and bendy than normal.

She has been wearing some great orthapedic boots for a few months and there has been a great improvement! She is now walking with semi-straight feet. 4 months ago, when standing her feet would turn outwards at odd angle and would walk on her tiptoes.

Nothing is probably wrong, but maybe a trip to GP to discuss your worries about her feet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> One Year to Five Years All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular