Wont use the potty/toilet anywhere away from home

Mandbaby
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:28 pm 
Post subject: Wont use the potty/toilet anywhere away from home
I started trying to potty train Noah last week and to be honest, he's taken to it really well. If we're at home I put him in pants and he will just go and use the potty, pulling down his pants and pulling them back up afterwards.

Perfect.

HOWEVER....He wont do poos on the potty yet (I know with lots of toddlers this sometimes can take a while). But he wont use the potty anywhere else - either at nursery or at my mum & dads (whom he adores and spends a lot of time with). It's like he's embarrassed or something, but if I even try to suggest he uses his potty at their house he goes hysterical. This morning when I sent him to nursery, I asked if I could put his pants on, or even pull-ups, and he went crazy asking to have his nappy on.

What can I do?!

simmysim
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:41 pm 
Post subject:
i think maybe just give him a little more time? if u only strted last week its gonna be a new concept for him!
give him a few more weeks to get more used to it at him then he will probably want to do it away from home too Smile just put him in nappies away from home if thas what he feel comfortable in then try again in a couple of weeks when going to the toilet becomes a little more natural?
abbie29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:11 pm 
Post subject:
Isobel was like this for a while - her nursery were brilliant! She was great at home but wouldn't go at nursery. Every time I dropped her off and picked her up, I took her to their little toilet room and sat her on the potty and then went bonkers with praise (even if she hadn't done anything). The nursery spoke to the parents of one of her, slightly older friend, and they agreed to let Izzy go to the toilet with her to see that it wasn't scary. In the end, the nursery took her pull ups off and gave her a little timer which they set every hour and they took her to the potty. I sent her with LOADS of clothes changes and they just kept trying. They were never cross with her when she had, and has, accidents (if she's absorbed doing something, she sometimes forgets still) and were really helpful and supportive. She got there eventually. She was also 'scared' of doing poos but now she cheers herself when she does one. I found it a bit stressful but we got there eventually. Hope its not too traumatic! x
Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:22 pm 
Post subject:
I'd agree older kids can be great teachers, i found toilet training my younger ones easier because they would see older brothers or sisters on the loo and want to try it to, even if they didn't actually do anything Laughing
Maybe the nursery will do something similar to what abbie suggested for you Question , my oldest son would never ask for the toilet when we were out though for ages after he was dry at home , he did grow out of it though, I think it was just a little bit of fear of the unknown . I'd agree not to push it though, just keep asking him when you're out , and sticker charts with little rewards can work wonders too ( I just used to get little cars and crayons things like that for 99p) your parents could maybe try that with him Question make it a fun experience Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Nappies, Changing and Potty Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular