going to sleep without crying

AliJo
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:58 pm 
Post subject: going to sleep without crying
How can I get my 13wk old to learn to go to sleep without feeding her to sleep or leaving her to cry? At the moment I breastfeed her most of the evening downstairs and she usually falls asleep on my knee between 10-11pm, then I put her in her cot. She feeds a lot throughout the day so I don't know why she can't go to sleep earlier. I tried a bedtime routine of taking her upstairs and ready for bed at 8pm, but by 9pm she was still feeding and wide awake so after a week I gave up with this.
Clairebell29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:04 pm 
Post subject:
George used to go to bed around 11pm too then just started falling asleep himself around 9.30 ish at probably 14 weeks. Started to base our routine around this bedtime. Once the routine was established we have very gradually made it earlier. Now in bed by 8.30. Hoping to have it 8 o clock by the end of the month.

Also do you make night and day time naps different so she knows the difference? This seemed to work for George. Also another thing that worked well was lowering the activity levels in the evening, dimming the lights and turning the tele down.
Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:51 pm 
Post subject:
not sure, but am currently getting my lo into habit of getting to sleep himself. HE is nearly twelve weeks.

Like you, am breastfeeding and was feeding to sleep but have since got into the EASY routine of Eat, activity, Sleep, You time, so now he goes into his hammock awake.

I tried using a dummy and that helped a bit for a while but when he realised it could fall out it became more of a hindrance than a help. What I do now is have my hand/hands against his chest and say shh....shhh...shhhh and keep repeating. He does cry but the cry winds down to whimpers and then his hands relax on mine, then i remove my hands when he is settled and do up his hammock then leave the room. He is usually settled within 20 mins but we are now having occasions when it takes less than this. And each time he is staying upset for less time. In fact the last time, i only needed my hands on him and shushing for the last five mins or so before he was out, the rest of the time he was trying to settle himself with gentle cooing and chewing of hand (not from hunger) and in that last five mins i think he cried for about 30 seconds.

Not sure if helpful, but this is what seems to be working for us right now.

Mandy xx
gruffalo
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:48 pm 
Post subject:
Also, with my eldest, I used to feed her till drowsy then unlatch and put her in her cot semi awake and this helped.

Mandy xx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Getting Baby To Sleep All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular