Health Visitors - do we have to take baby to see them?

Janey1983
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:16 pm 
Post subject: Health Visitors - do we have to take baby to see them?
My little one is 18 weeks old and pretty much every dealing I have had with health visitors has left me in floods of tears, the look at me, and speak to me like I am stupid and constantly look for something negative. They are telling me things they know nothing about and making stuff up as they go along.

If I simply stop going will I get into trouble?

She is now refusing to do his 4 month check until I get my stairs "fixed" they are not broken, they are not a conventional design but comply to building regs!

Grrrrrr
steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:31 pm 
Post subject:
im not sure, as my friend said if you didnt go at least once a month they would turn up at your house.

im not sure how they can say they wont do a check until you get your stairs fixed, as they are only there to advise you of home safety, they cant force you to do anything.

i never had a 4 month check, just 6 weeks, 7-9 months, and 2 years. after the 7-9 month check i didnt go again until she was 1, and it was only cos she had her injections so i was there anyway, then at 18 months as i was at an appt, and then i had her 2 year check and the hv signed me off

pepperpot
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:20 pm 
Post subject:
They are useless! Well there might be the odd good one but I'm still waiting to meet them!

I had a visit when both mine were born and another when we moved (because we moved into another area) and i've taken them to weigh ins and that's it. I've had no other contact. Just done a quick google search and it appears you can refuse to see them x

Banoffee
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:42 pm 
Post subject:
That's odd because in my area they come to see you at home a week or two after birth. My Hv was happy and said she didn't need to see me again. I have seen them twice since for the two checks (8 week and 6 to 9 month) but you take them to clinic. I very rarely take him to be weighed either as it's on a day not convenient for me! As for your stairs Pffft does she think you're not capable of ensuring the baby is safe when the time comes! I don't see how she can refuse a 4 month check on the basis of your stairs.
Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:55 am 
Post subject:
Charlotte saw h.v twice after birth, then immunisations and I have taken her to be weighed twice.
Other than that I don't her from them xx

Janey1983
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:46 am 
Post subject:
Cheers,
By chance I called into our local surestart yesterday and once a month they do baby clinic so I think we will just start going there.
If they turn up at my door they might do his 4 month check. ha ha ha

Thanks Ladies
Kenty
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:29 pm 
Post subject:
you don't have to see them, we saw them about once a year with my older 2, have seen them alot more with my littlest as he's been having reflux problems.

i cannot stand HV's they're a waste of time, we told them of the concerns we had about our daughter, they informed us she's fine(she actually has a very severe disability) but tried saying she's got a squint! useless

K8andJJ
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:33 pm 
Post subject:
Sounds like I'm very lucky with my HV here, I delayed immunisations and refused MMR and she was totally fine about it and was really interested in and always asking about my Babywearing and Elimination Communication etc. she told me if JJ wasn't having immunisations til 8 months then I didn't need to go see her unless I wanted to (and if I wasn't gonna have them at all then just to get in touch when he was 2!) I did see her though as wanted to get him weighed etc. but you have no legal obligation to take your child to see a health visitor ever, and if they turn up at your door you don't have to let them in!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Your Newborn Baby All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular