Autism

NicolaOasis
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:52 pm 
Post subject:
Amandaplus2 wrote:
Well Lewis was diagnosed with ASD. We knew it was coming but was still hard to hear Sad

It must have been Sad Im 100% prepared for Aimee to have autism but its not going to make it any easier.

How are your family dealing with it ? My inlaws, especially sil, are just refusing to believe Aimee has it. Sil keeps telling David that they will need to agree to disagree on it , i could honestly slap her at times. David asked her what she thought was wrong with Aimee and she told him that she has communication difficulties so David asked her what she thought autism actually was and she said " oh well, if you want to go down that route, she might have a mild form "

AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Now i just dont bother discussing anything with her.
Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:49 pm 
Post subject:
My family are ok with it. We had already told them we were sure he had it so not much of a shock. I think they were more shocked we have got him diagnosed so young. SIL said yest she didn't think we would get a diagnosis so soon. Lewis is going to see an educational psychologist re being statements then we can look at schools etc x

NicolaOasis
Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:52 am 
Post subject:
Thats good about your family, unfortunately my sil knows everything about everything or so she thinks !

We had a meeting with Aimee's pre school a few weeks ago about school placements and the two options that are doing to suit Aimee is to go what is technically a mainstream school but there will be about 4 kids in every class with additional needs and support there for them or to keep her at preschool for 1 more year to build her communication skills up and then they think she would be able to cope at a mainstream school with support.

We told them to apply for the first option but we had another think and we're going to see her teacher after the october break and speak to her about keeping Aimee in preschool for one more year. I just feel we need to give her the best shot possible at going to mainstream school. If we keep her back one year and she still has to go for the first option then fair enough but i want to give her the chance.

Ive got to say though, this new preschool she is at are amazing, they have worked wonders with her in 2 months xx
Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:44 am 
Post subject:
Sorry its not what you wanted to hear, diagnosis of a condition/illness is never what you want to hear.

But you are now in the system and things should be put in place to help him with his needs, its good he has had a diagnosis so young as everything points to early intervention being the best thing. xx

Amandaplus2
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:08 pm 
Post subject:
No they haven't said Amy yet. The Autistic school very near me takes children from 3 but Lewis godmother who also happens to work there said to consider every option first ie asd school and mainstream x

thatonethere
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:51 am 
Post subject:
I've used this program before with another child it was the only thing that worked with him - it's from America and it has very good fundamental teaching and basics, I learned loads from it - stuff I never even would have though of when dealing with an autistic person, it's worth a look, don't be too daunted at first x http://www.autismtreatmentcenter.org/
Amandaplus2
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:29 pm 
Post subject:
Just an update. Lewis has seen an educational phycologist and she is going to start the ball rolling for a statement for school. We are looking round an autistic school near us in January. Also L has been awarded high rate dla so pleased edp when one vest for him cost £9!

thatonethere
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:45 am 
Post subject:
Did any-one else feel just a little relieved with a diagnosis if you knew it was coming? We could then explain his behaviour if we were out and he started having a bit of a 'moment' in public we could say 'he has autism' and people would understand rather than them think we just had a naughty child and them tut at us for not controlling him. He's not naughty, he just doesn't understand sometimes things like it's not appropriate to take all his clothes off in a restaurant or things like that. x
Jennifer256
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue May 28, 2013 4:59 pm 
Post subject:
I still dont know how I feel to be honest, I don't usually tell people he has autism as he doesnt have meltdowns as such, so people wouldnt really notice. I think more people notice his lack of speech and his noises when trying to talk to him. So I may mention it then.
Diagnosis wasnt a shock but forced me to confront it more if that makes sense.
I have seen a fb shop that sells t shirts for autistic children with slogans on ie too cool for autism, autistic meltdown probable and I am not sure. I just down think I would put one on archie, I mean would you wear a t-shirt saying I have mental illness, learning difficulties, me, ms, md.
We are starting statement process and so far he is in mainstream nursery, but we are going to keep reviewing and do what we feel is best xx

Amandaplus2
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:06 pm 
Post subject:
Jennifer your son sounds just like my Lewis x

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Special Needs All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to:  

Community

Popular