Earlier bedtime = awake more at night

AliJo
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:55 am 
Post subject: Earlier bedtime = awake more at night
I used to feed my baby downstairs on an evening untill she fell asleep, usually around 10-11pm. Then I'd take her up and put her in her cot. She'd usually sleep for 3-4 hours at a time and wake to be fed once or twice. For a week now I've tried to get her to go to sleep earlier by feeding her upstairs in a dimly lit bedroom from 7.30pm. From the first day this worked well and she was asleep after an hour. The time has since reduced to half an hour. Shes only been sleeping for an hour though then I've gone back up to feed her and she's fallen asleep after about half an hour. Then she's slept for about 3-4 hours and woken for a feed. The problem then is that she won't goback to sleep! I want to stick with the early bedtime routine as she must be tired by 7.30pm as she falls asleep well. I just dont know why she's not sleeping as long as she used to? I'm worn out from lack of sleep. Feeding her upstairs on an evening is bringing me down aswelas I miss my hubby and the tv. I can't relax when I'm downstairs as I don't know when she'll wake up. Last evening i couldnt get her back to sleep after 8.30pm so I took her downstairs to feed. We couldnt get her to sleep until 11pm as she wouldn't feed, then she was awake an hour later for a feed. She did then sleep through to 5am, which is better than she had been doing with the early bedtime. I don't know what to do?
steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:59 am 
Post subject:
how old is she? personally I would just leave things the way you have been if its what works, eventually she will work herself into an earlier routine

AliJo
Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:45 am 
Post subject:
She's 14wks. I thought the reason why she wasn't falling asleep untill 10-11pm was because she was overtired, especaily as she doesn't sleep much during the day. I don't want her to not get enough sleep or get used to being up late. I should have said as well that im trying to get her to have prpoer naps (instead of falling asleep in my knee and waking when i try to pick her up). I am also a bit confused over conflicting advise: some say to feed your baby a lot during the day so they are full by bedtime, others say to only feed every 3 hours or baby will get used to feeding too often and expect to feed that regularly at night. I've been feeding on demand and it can be less than 3 hours between feeds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Getting Baby To Sleep All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular