Sleep associations

AliJo
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:08 pm 
Post subject: Sleep associations
I'm still feeding my 6mth old to sleep for naps and bedtime. I really want to break this habbit, as I'm sure she's mostly feeding for comport. What I'd ideally like to do is for her to go to sleep by herself at naps and after a feed at bedtime. At the moment she feeds for 10-15mins before naps and 1-3 hrs at bedtime, plus an hour or 2 during the night to get back to sleep. I've tried breaking the habbit at naps by taking her off my breast before she's fully asleep and then rocking her to sleep and this is starting to work as its only taking a few mins. However it doesnt work at bedtime as every time I try to take her off she just wants to continue feeding untill she falls asleep. I don't want to try controlled crying and how would I know she's not crying because she is hungry? How do I get her out of associating being fed with falling asleep? Once she is asleep she can last up to 10hrs before waking and sometimes I hear her wake then she goes back to sleep, so she can self settle, just not initially when she's going to sleep.
OneNormalFamily
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:35 am 
Post subject: Basic Principles of Baby Sleep
Hi there

I have just written a book on baby sleep and have been helping lots of parents since.

In my book I cover some basic principles to help your baby sleep. They are treat day as day and night as night, observe your baby, help your baby to self-settle, follow a routine, persevere, be consistent, be patient and be proud.

I recently wrote an article for a blog which outlines four of these principles: treat day as day and night as night, observe your baby, help your baby to self-settle, follow a routine.

Read the article here:

http://fromtheretohear.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/help-your-baby-sleep-right-now-sensible.html

Jess from 'From There to Hear' tried out my methods and her son was settling himself to sleep at 7pm within a few days.

Read about her experiences here:

http://fromtheretohear.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/isnt-my-boy-just-so-beautiful-when-he.html

If you want to know more just ask. I am always happy to help out sleep deprived parents and babies.

Michelle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Getting Baby To Sleep All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular