Reversal, advise on costs please.

Briery
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:14 am 
Post subject: Reversal, advise on costs please.
Hi everyone,

I am 36 and have a 5 year old son and almost 2 year old daughter. I had a tubal ligation in Sept 2010 when I had my daughter after a truly awful pregnancy. I had always wanted 3 children and my husband was ok with that although he'd had prefered to stick at 2 so we decided to go for the ligation during my c section. Needless to say I now regret this and husband has agreed that if we hadn't had the sterilisation we'd have another child. I am looking at getting a reversal but finances are tight so although we can pull together the money we need to be as prudent as possible about it as it will take at least 12 months of saving to be able to afford the op. My age is not going to get any younger in that time so the quicker the better! I am looking for advise on the best value for money surgeons out there please. I have googled and better googled both UK and Europe but the only place abroad that I have a quote from is only quoting a 20% success rate and unfortunately I cannot justify that sort of expenditure for such a low %. Other studies for my situation are showing the stats around 70% - that degree of risk of failure I can accept.

Any advice in general and in financial respect would be useful please as I long to carry another child and ache to hold our new baby and feed him/her myself - something previous health issues (now resolved) prevented in the past.
Piggy34
Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:18 pm 
Post subject: ..
Hiya, before i had my op i looked around at prices ect,as money was a big factor most places went from £3500 up to as much as £6000 ...most do a payment plance finance scheme ...I had my reversal June 2012... I'm not sure where abouts you are but I went to the park hospital Doncaster .. It cost me £2710 as the do a fix price scheme the hospital where great I stayed 1 hour away the day of the op the sent a car for me and 2 days later a car home all included in the price along with follow up appt.. I would recommend mr gergis to everyone ...x
Briery
Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:37 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks Piggy Smile I found another thread with some useful info on prices and clinic and I have sent an e-mail to them for more info so hopefully they will get that tomorrow. I have also sent a few mails to some NHS hospitals that take private patients as I have heard those can be cost effective options and you know you are getting reputable Dr's.

How long has it been since your reversal? Have you had any success yet?
Piggy34
Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:59 am 
Post subject: ..
It's only been about 7 weeks , not really tried yet ...I had the clips and it's been 12 years since they were put in the doc gave me. 50% odds Very Happy ...I'm 37 I
I had leukimia 10 years ago so caused complications....but before the doc did op it was 80% does not no what he will find till open you up..my consultant also works in Doncaster royal infirmary and reputable it was my gp that recommend him as its a diffrent county is a lot cheaper don't no why .the park private hospital is in the grounds .derby and Nottingham NHS price was £3200 I phoned a couple that where cheaper BUT as my gp knew of mr gergis and it was a good reputation I went with him..there a few Nottingham was that offer the payment finance scheme but there around £3800 .
One reason that my price was lower is my gp did the blood to check i was still ovulating and seman tests to check his little swimmers,
As your op was only 2 years ago your odds in theory should be better than mine Very Happy
DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:19 am 
Post subject:
Briery, no one can give you odds of success not even a surgeon, for one there's no real data compiled as the ops are almost exclusively private Question and for two it depends on about a million little things from how fertile you were anyway to how well your body heals and your risk of scarring Question
Some Ladies after a section will have adhesions and scarring which can be on the tubes and if the sterilisation was done during a section then its not often done with clips (which is the easiest to reverse) .
i don't know how you judge value for money really Question My op was relatively cheap at £2,700 (fixed cost)but i'm not pregnant and its been almost 2 yrs Sad , so of course for me that was a complete waste of money but if i had been pregnant I would think it was great value Question
We have had more than one woman using the same surgeon on here and ones got pregnant and another hasn't Question There really is no way to know what will happen for you, and there have been quite a few ladies who've had reversals but then gone on to IVF to actually have a baby Question
Have you considered IVF ? If you just want one more child then it might be a better option, your age is on your side, it doesn't matter what condition your tubes are in and you know every step of the way whats happening Smile and at your age you could well have enough embryos to freeze as well so if it didn't work first time you could have a frozen transfer, I know i thought the reversal was the "easier" option in some ways but 2yrs on i wish I'd just gone for the IVF Smile
If you do decide on this op though you can look up the surgeons credentials on the GMC website, some work privately and in the NHS (my reversal consultant does ) some just privately but all should be properly qualified if they're performing surgery of course that doesn't tell you how competent they are but i think you get a feel for that during the consultation .
Just to give you an idea though of 7 of us who had our ops around the same time in 2010 only one has since had a baby and none are currently pregnant Question and yet there have been Ladies who've conceived the first month after their op, it really is a bit of a lottery Question maybe the foreign clinic was the only one willing to be honest when it comes to actual success rates as stats really don't matter when it comes to your personal chances Question and the trying is very stressful as you never know if the tubes are still open or not .
Some clinics both for the reversal and IVF do payment schemes with specalist medical loan firms or they do something similar to a credit card, some Ladies even use their credit cards to pay as the sooner the better really with either option, good luck deciding xx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> IVF & Sterilisation Reversal All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular