Sleeping through the night

Luckyducky
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:04 pm 
Post subject: Sleeping through the night
How old were your los when they slept through (and I mean 11/12 hours, not the 'official' definition of sleeping through!) ? Theo is doing really well, sleeping from 6.30/7 until 4am most nights, then back down until 7ish. But he's been doing that quite a while now, and I'm shattered from the constant disturbed night's sleep every night. I know I should be glad that he's sleeping that long, but just wondered if anyone had any ideas of how to get him to go that little bit longer? I was a bit spoilt with Poppy, she went through at 12 weeks, and I thought Theo was heading that way as he went down to 1 feed quite early. He did go through til 5.45 one night, which was bliss. But now we're back to 4am, if we're lucky, sometimes it's 1.30am, or 2am.

He doesn't eat a lot in the day, 4 bottles of up to 6oz (but rarely finishes them) during the day and one during the night. But can't get him to take more.

Any tips gratefully received!

libertytmk
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:11 pm 
Post subject:
Erm Jamie didn't sleep through (even the 6 hours) for the first time until he was 11 months and then regularly once he was a year. Until he was 4 months he rarely went longer than 2 hours and even after that I was lucky if he did. By 7 hours I could normally count on one 3 or 4 hour block and then him waking up loads

I'm afraid I have no tips though

Luckyducky
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:17 pm 
Post subject:
How did you keep going with that little sleep? I am really struggling with the lack of a solid night's sleep. Maybe I'm just being pathetic but don't remember being this tired with Poppy.

gruffalo
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:40 pm 
Post subject:
YEah, with Sophia she slept through a full 8 or so hours what felt like almost straight away and twelve hours, not sure when but by 6 months i think.

With Josh, we have had 2 or 3 times of 7 hours (with a firmula bottle at 7) and a couple five hour stretches totally on breast milk. ANd then the rest of the time 2-3 hours between feeds.

Could you try a dream feed when you go to bed to see if that draws it out a bit?

Mandy xx
Jennifer256
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:40 pm 
Post subject:
Life with Archie was horrendous as he HAD to be fed 3 hourly for a medical condition till he was about 9 months I think it was, he was over 12 motnhs before he stopped having a last feed at 10/11pm and a very early simply because he couldn't maintain his blood sugars without a feed.

Charlotte slept through from 9/10 weeks, she was on hungry milk and to be honest I was a lot stricter with her and would let her winge a while before seeing to her, she was also in her own room and the week we moved her was when she slept through, Charlotte got drain 5 x 8oz bottles though hence why I put her on hungry milk, I remember one night she drained 8oz went to bed for 2 hours and screamed for more and had another 6oz then slept through, she was a hungry monster. All I can say is maybe try getting his ounces up in the day but if he doesn't want he doesn't want it, but I would definately see if he just re-settles when he wakes instead of rushing to him, although you may be doing that already!

Sorry gone off on a tangent and not really much help, but lack of sleep is awfull and I fully sympathise!! xx

libertytmk
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:31 am 
Post subject:
Luckyducky wrote:
How did you keep going with that little sleep? I am really struggling with the lack of a solid night's sleep. Maybe I'm just being pathetic but don't remember being this tired with Poppy.

I'm not sure I did very well most of the time. To be honest Jamie slept 3 hours in 24 when he was born so when he started doing two hours at a time it was a luxary. I was lucky because my Mum was off on Thursdays and used to come and take him for a bit so I could sleep for a couple of hours and my sister did the same on Friday. I can cope anyway as long as I get about 3 hours but I could do with them in one block rather than 20 mins at a time!

I was going to suggest a dream feed as well. We switched Jamie onto formula at night at 11 months and gave him a dream feed and that seemed to sort him out

LauraAndEliza
Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:30 pm 
Post subject:
My first daughter who is now 3 didnt sleep through until she was 16 months old. She used to wake 3 times a night for milk, then one day she started sleeping through and has done ever since. My second daughter is now 10 months old and until 2 weeks ago she was waking every 1 - 2 hours and needed milk to fall back asleep. She is now able to fall back asleep on her own and tends to wake once a night. I have just moved her out of my bedroom and she is now sharing with her sister so im hoping they both sleep ok.

hayley2903
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:13 pm 
Post subject:
I put Lola to bed around 8:30-9 and will gradually get earlier however I do give her a full bottle just before she's put to bed and just as I'm going to bed! X
Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:41 pm 
Post subject:
Isabelle fully slept through at 8 months when I stopped breastfeeding. George is 8 1/2 months and still up once/twice a night (normally 11/12pm and between 2 and 3am) - Paul has been going in with water if he wakes before 10pm (last week he was because of teeth) but aside from that he's still a boob monster. I'm just used to the wake ups and disturbed sleep now, just have to be!
I would like to very quietly add that he slept through last night, but shhhh...!! xx

RacheynHarry
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:50 am 
Post subject:
Harry doesnt and never has slept through the night.

DH and I take it in turns as to who gets up each night. I dont know how we cope but we do. He is still in our room because we have a one bedroom house at the moment but we will be moved before the next one comes along so hopefully when he is in his own room he will be better.

I havent had a night away from him even though people have offered to have him because I dont want them getting up 2-3 times a night to sort Harry out.

MingoMayo
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:24 pm 
Post subject:
Samuel wakes so often now - having been so good at sleeping long stretches early on and sleeping through 13 hours for a week or so at 14/15 weeks... now it's 8.30pm, 11pm, 4am, 6.30am and then up at 8.30am. It's killing me but I plan to talk to the nursery nurse and ask what I can do - if she gives me any tips - I'll let you know! Very Happy Someone had suggested just giving water and this is what I have read - it makes baby think 'it's not worth waking up for' however - Samuel won't take a bottle so I have no way to get the water into him - so for now my boobs are a mummy-dummy and the only way to get him to settle... Smile
x

pepperpot
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:23 pm 
Post subject:
Oliver slept through from 4 1/2 months, the night after we put him in his own room. Literally one night he woke 2/3 times and from that night he just never woke again and slept from 6pm-7/7:30am.
Sophie has only regularly started sleeping through and I can only really put that down to weaning going well. She had dropped off the 25th percentile (was born on 75th) and now she's back on it she sleeps from about 6:30-6:15ish. Don't mind her waking at that time as Oliver is now up around that time too which is annoying but seems quite late compared to some of my friends children!

I think it's just luck of the draw to be honest! Sorry to not be more help x

Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular