Tough love

tracebumfluffwhy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:46 am 
Post subject: Tough love
So since Alwx has been born he has been demand fed (apart from his proper food which are at mealtimes. He still has 1 sometimes 2 bottles in the daytime. He has since about 10 months slept through and woke maybe every few weeks wanting a bottle and he'd only have about 2 oz.

However the last week or so he has been waking every night at 4am taking a full bottle and then taking ages to go back to sleep.

So last night decided he was doing it out of habit and he wouldn't get milk any more. It took him about 1.5 hours to fall alseep again.

For those of you that did this, how long did it take for your babies to stop waking up expecting it?

Cheers

Kell83
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:28 am 
Post subject:
Around about 10days for us, actually it's something we are going through right now as Charlie seems to be waking or milk in the night now Sad that coupled with a new born is killing me!
I'm not sure if it's something you thought about but we give water instead of milk, of he's not hungry he will sleep through eventually.
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:42 pm 
Post subject:
I've had this problem with Eoin and he's 2. He has never slept through but he was filling up with milk during the night then not eating properly during the day. He started waking about 3 or 4 am. I just handed him the milk and he went back to sleep. Then he started waking at 1 or 2 am aswell.
Enough was enough. I know Eoin is a little older but I said no more. I started offering him water but he didn't want that. I just was going into his room and saying 'no milk'. The first night he screamed for an hour and a half, 2nd night about 45 mins. Then just for about 10 mins for the next few nights. It's been over 2 weeks and for the last week he has slept 8 til 7.
It's hard because I thought I was starving him but no more, tough love works wonders. Stick at it. Very Happy

manthony12303
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:05 pm 
Post subject:
As long as you've ruled out the other possible causes, ie growth spurt, illness, teething, life change, etc. then it shouldn't take more than a few days to a week, if you're consistent. Consistency is key. And make sure he's getting enough calories during the day per his weight and age, so that he's really not hungry. Also, I've heard that if crying it out is something you're not comfortable with, it is less likely to work. I mean obviously it's hard on any parent to hear their lo in the other room crying, but if your gut says not to do it, try something less abrupt, like going in and patting his back and saying, "I love you." But don't pick him up or give in. As long as you've ruled out the things mentioned above, and are consistent, it won't be long and most babies give up. Good luck to you!
GreenFish
Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:58 pm 
Post subject:
we did this when our son was around 9 months old, but very gradually, reducing each feed (he was taking up to three feeds every night!) by an ounce every other day. we also did pick-up/put down at the same time to help him fall asleep on his own at night. we saw an immediate improvement the first night and he was sleeping through without waking for any feeds within two weeks. i have to stress that we NEVER left him alone to cry it out.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular