Resenting my 2 year old.

Shellm
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:57 pm 
Post subject: Resenting my 2 year old.
I would appreciate some advice girls. My lo has just turned 2 and he is an absolute nightmare to live with. He doesn't eat properly. He will eat baby pasta and bolognese sauce, if I'm lucky. He doesn't sleep through either and never has done. It's really starting to get me down. Crying or Very sad
I am off work for the summer hols with the other kids and because I have to pay for a childminder anyway he goes there. When its time to pick him up I feel dread. I wonder if he'll eat his tea, then when will it be bedtime then what time will be wake in the night. I now give him milk again at night just to shut him up otherwise the screaming starts and the others are woken up. I feel like its a vicious circle.
I know I should be thankful to have such healthy kids but I don't know how to get out of feeling this way.
Sorry for the rant but I wanted to get it off my chest and now I feel guilty. Crying or Very sad

jennaxhx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:19 pm 
Post subject:
I can totally relate! I've been really struggling lately with my two. Not so much Craig, its Liam who seems to cause the most stress. I absolutely adore him but hes become so tricky lately and like you say, doesnt eat properly which isnt helping the fact he has problems with pooing so it is also a vicious circle. I dread dinner time! Luckily my two do sleep through now though they didnt until a year old which was when they moved into their own room (or rather OH and i moved out of their room as our room wasn't ready yet). Does he sleep in his own room?

I know its hard but really the best thing is to cut out the milk, give water if he really wants a drink and dont say anything when you go into see him through the night. Just lie him down tuck him in say night the first time and walk out. If he doesnt stop go back in after 5 min and do the same only dont say anything and try and leave him as long as u can. I did this and it wasnt long til they learned that i wasn't goin to fall for it and they just gave in and went back to sleep. Then when they did wake i would hear them have a move about like they were going to cry but then just go back down themselves and now they sleep all night.

Shellm
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:13 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks Jenna. He shares with my other son, but he never hears him. When he wakes at night he will scream. I did stop the milk for a while and he would cry for an hour but I persevered. I did give him milk if he woke after 5 am because I thought if he hadn't had anything since 7.30 the night before he would be hungry. But that is now getting earlier and sometimes about 2am. Sleep deprivation is a horrible thing.
My oh is useless too. He never gets up and on the odd occasion he has done he is like a bear with a sore head the next day. How does he think I must feel? I am going to have to bite the bullet and stop all milk. My lo has a habit of making himself vomit too just because he can. Aaarrrggghhh!! I will be cleaning up sick in the night instead. Why is parenting so hard?

amyxpearce
Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:31 am 
Post subject:
Hey there.

I just wanted to encourage you and say I'm really sure things will get easier as he gets older. Lots of toddlers as fussy eaters. I think if it was my little girl I would give her her 3 meals during the day. I'd give her a set amount of time to eat it, like 30 minutes, if she didn't eat it she wouldn't get anything until the next meal. Eventually I would hope she would eat a meal. I was training as a health visitor last year (I had to quit as I missed my little girl too much with all the academic work) and they said definitely don't give in and give your child something else to eat if they refuse the meal you have made them. They are such quick learners!!
I know some children have snacks during the day but I've never given my little girl them because she doesn't eat her main meals if she does.

The reason he might not be sleeping could be if he isn't eating enough during the day. Do you think he could be hungry at night time? I wonder if you got the diet sorted out it would help him with his sleeping.

Does he have a bedtime routine?

Hope you get it sorted. Must be so stressful for you. I really think things will get easier as he gets older though x
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:54 am 
Post subject:
Hi, are things any better? My DS is about the same age as yours and also a terrible eater, such a pity cos he was a brilliant eater as a baby! Smile
I'm also very strict now, if you don't eat, then you get nothing else, no cookie, no yogurt etc... He does always still get a bottle before bed - but only 120ml. Then breakfast is at 7am.
What Ive started doing lately which really seems to work, is if he refuses to eat, I try a number of times to get him to eat, and if he won't then, I will take for e.g. 5 pasta pieces and 3 chicken pieces out of his bowl, put it on the table and tell him he must eat that and the rest goes in the bin. This seems to work most of the time and he will eat. Still not a lot, but at least he is learning he has to eat and if he refuses also to eat that bit, well then, he can't be hungry and I stop trying to get him to eat.
xxx

Shellm
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:42 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks for thinking about me. Things have improved. He is eating a bit better. He seems to live off pasta. But it's more than he's had. He will eat chicken curry and rice, very weird. He ate a fish finger at the childminder last week.
He is still having a bottle before bed, but at the moment that is the least of my worries. He has 7oz after bath in the couch, then he has 6oz more in bed. It seems loads but he has started sleeping from 8 til 7. So I'll stick with that for a bit.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> One Year to Five Years All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular