Another suspected Autism post.. Please reply

thatonethere
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:25 am 
Post subject:
Does it help him if you squeeze his feet or head when he is frustrated - autistic children sometimes benefit from intense pressure on their bodies, I've known parents who lie on top of their autistic children when they're having a meltdown to give them the feeling of pressure, you would think it squashes them too much but it can help, we squeeze his feet and head, or turn him facing away and cuddle him tightly. We also were advised a couple of weeks ago by the paediatrician to take wheat out of his diet which could improve his behaviour and improve the meltdowns, in some autistic children it can benefit but some people are skeptical about it - we're trying it, can't do any harm! It's been easy to switch to wheat free products, thought it would be horrendous, but it's not been that bad, just switched to wheat free pasta and bread.
xx
NicolaOasis
Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:04 pm 
Post subject:
AshleyBUMplusTwo wrote:
Jeezo Nicola, that's just ridiculous!

I'm not entirely sure how close we are to knowing for sure either! - We attended speech therapy, in which she agreed he needed referred (agreed with HV). Family support worker has been out a couple of times and I've seen the early years support worker but I won't see her again until Kyle starts nursery, another visit from family support worker next week and my HV & paediatrician are coming out next week too. But as I understand it, the paed needs to see what they think and THEN refer him to LADS (Lanarkshire Autism Diagnostic Service) and I have NO idea how long that will take ??

As for Kyle himself, his meltdowns are more frequent and more extreme these days, I'm sooo stressed and it makes me angry that I can't make him feel better Sad

Fingers crossed she can go to that school Nicola, as long as they have help in place for her then can't see why not Smile keep me posted. Has Aimee been referred to LADS yet ?

Aimee has been referred to LADS, the paediatrician referred her in April and we got the letter a few weeks ago saying that she's on the list and it will be 16 months waiting list !!!!!!!!! Its shocking .

Keep on at them to get things moving quickly because it takes forever. We eventually got an appointment with speech and language ( as it was her lack of speech that we were initially concerned about ) in early December 2010 and its taken until now to be officially referred.

We also went on a hanen course which was organised by speech and language called More than words which really helped us to understand Aimee and to encourage her to communicate. You should definitely ask them about going on that as we had to wait about 6 months to get on that course, it was held in Hamilton.

Keep me updated on Kyle xx
Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:54 am 
Post subject:
one of our issues at the moment is with our lo gnawing at the table - it's one of his 'traits' - he zones out completely when he's doing it, and we are always finding him chewing at the table - he even gets out of bed in the middle of the night to go and do it! Any advice on how to stop a particular behaviour trait would be appreciated! xx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Special Needs All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

Community

Popular