Another suspected Autism post.. Please reply

AshleyBUMplusTwo
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:02 pm 
Post subject: Another suspected Autism post.. Please reply
So my son will be 3 in November. I'll be totally honest, I've always thought my son was different, but he was my first born & I figured he was just like his Daddy. However, 3 months ago, my husband was diagnosed with high functioning Autism, so this got me thinking.

When Kyle was younger he used to bang his head off his cot a lot, I'd go in, make sure he was ok & within 10mins he'd be doing it again.. He'd do it most of the night. When he got moved into a big bed, he sat in the corner of the room and bashed his head off the wall instead. Luckily, he has stopped this.

Kyle won't play with other kids, he seems to be in his own wee world most of the time. He still wears a bib now, he slavers something terrible! He never looks at people in the face unless specifically (literally) asked to, for example if I want him to look at me I HAVE to say "Kyle, look at mummy". He goes mental at hand dryers, hoovers, anything that makes a lot of noise. He was slow to walk, 17 months, slow to talk, we got about 4 words out of him until he was about 23 months, even now, I think his speech is behind, no full sentences, it's "juice" for a drink not like my friends kid who says "drink please mummy" or "can i have a drink". He sits for ages engrossed in lining things up, usually blocks or cars and if I touch one he will say "oh no", put it back and if I do it again he will throw all the cars/blocks away and throw himself on the floor. He doesn't seem to like playing with anyone, sure my husband can throw him about etc and he loves it, but you can't play with him with his toys because you don't play the way HE wants you to play. He refuses to eat "messy" food (I say refuse, he doesn't communicate that with me, he just doesn't eat it) and gets very upset if he has dirty hands yet hates me cleaning his face with a baby wipe or whatever.

For a while I thought he was extremely ignorant and scolded him for not listening to me/family, I think now that that's just another sign of him having Autism, you can repeat his name up to 10 times and he will still not look at you, or even acknowledge that you're talking to him, I have to literally go up to him and as said earlier say Kyle look at mummy, he will then look at me & I can then tell him what I want to say.

I want to know what others think.. Sure I'm his mum, I know him best but I don't know much about Autism so I would like your opinion. I have my Health Visitor coming out on Monday afternoon to assess him but that's 6 days away and I can think of nothing else. Please reply, any thoughts are much appreciated. Also, sorry this is a book!

AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:20 pm 
Post subject:
I think he is showing some autistic 'markers' but then my boy does a few autistic markers and has very delayed speech.

Autism can be a genetic condition so if a parent has it then it could bee passed on.

I have beenn going through all this for the last few months, If it was me I would ask to be refered to audiology to make sure there is nothing going on with his hearing, also speech and language so the can check his speech and also the community peadiatrician as it is they who make the diagnosis of autism.

I don't want Archie 'labelled' to quickly and am working along side all the health professionals, hopefully your hv will point you in the right direction xx

AshleyBUMplusTwo
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:36 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks for your reply Jennifer!

No, putting a label on a child is never good & always better to have a 100% diagnosis. It's not just my husband who has Autism, his cousins little boy has it, and his other cousins little boy has it too. Although everything I've found on the net says that it is not genetic, not sure how that works when it's apparently meant to be a chromosomal abnormality ?

I don't know and I guess it's just a waiting game now. I'm worried but I know he will be fine long term, I will make sure of it.

AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:50 pm 
Post subject:
Oh & I also did one of those Autism in Toddlers quizzes, he scored 23 out of 25
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:27 pm 
Post subject:
This is the site I have been looking at as I don't always trust the internet, it can come up with some bonkers stuff xx

http://www.autism.org.uk/working-with/health/screening-and-diagnosis/the-genetics-of-autism-spectrum-disorders.aspx

thatonethere
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:11 am 
Post subject:
I've been given a book by our speech and language therapist our son is 2 and is going through the assessment process for asd, it's called 'more than words' by Fern Sussman. It's been really good to learn more about things that can help and why he doesn't like certain noises - it's about sensory sensitivity, dislike of loud noises is over sensitivity, head banging is undersensitivity of touch, our son also has both of those, we give him the pressure he needs by squeezing his head and feet and cover his ears with our hands which lowers his anxiety.
you might be able to borrow the book from the library or ask the hv if they could get you a copy
xx
AshleyBUMplusTwo
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:31 pm 
Post subject:
SO just a wee update..

The health visitor came out on Monday. Kyle came to the door with me & as soon as she entered, threw himself on the floor. It's pretty much safe to say she saw exactly what I meant the minute she walked in the door. She was here for about an hr and in that hour, Kyle showed almost every symptom that I was telling her about, he was NOT happy she was there (new person I guess).

So she's referred him to the doctor (not sure what kinda doc LOL) - but she said that may take a couple of mnths so in the mean time she's referring him to a speech therapist, a special needs early years teacher (I guess even high functioning autism would come under "special needs"?) and also a general support person, to which I think they will all come to the house as she said she was going to recommend to the doc that she come out to do an assessment as she thought they wouldn't really get much at a doctors office, which makes sense because he just screams in there LOL.
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:48 am 
Post subject:
That's good that you're getting some referrals. If you qualify for a portage worker you will also be entitled to free nursery place for 2year olds (only at an outstanding nursery) and also if he is registered as autistic then you will be able to claim disability benefit and when age 3 blue badge for your car. Make sure you're getting all the help you can xx
LauraG
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:47 pm 
Post subject:
thats good tat hes been refered.

my daughter has an educational psychologist and speech therapist and is going to be asessed for autism in january.

NicolaOasis
Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:22 am 
Post subject:
Ashley, how did you get on with Kyle ?

My Aimee has been referred for a diagnosis but North Lanarkshire has an 18 month waiting list which is a nightmare .
Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:37 am 
Post subject:
18 months?! That's no help at all - get pestering! You don't get anywhere unless you stand up and demand is what I've found, in a nice polite way of course we have had to chase every aspect of our sons care up and if you feel it's necessary just keep pestering let them know it's not good enough to wait otherwise they'll just keep carrying on - tell them, that's what my hv and docs tell me all the time - keep telling them waiting is not an option Smile
NicolaOasis
Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:09 pm 
Post subject:
We actually just got a confirmation letter that we are on the waiting list and its a 16 month wait Sad

There's absolutely nothing they can do about it, believe me ive tried ! My little girl has alot of help in the meantime which is good, she's in a communication unit nursery and she has a speech therapist in there twice a week. This is just an appointment for the actual diagnosis.

xx
Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:01 pm 
Post subject:
Shocked that's still a long time, she'll be at school, the school will need a diagnosis sooner than that to get the funding they need to help her, I would try and see if you can get an earlier appt, speak to your hv maybe? It can't harm to ask if it's something you feel you need x
NicolaOasis
Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:32 pm 
Post subject:
Im estimating that it will be around her 5th birthday which is shocking as i first went to them with my concerns when she was 18 months !!!!!!!!

As she attends a communication unit nursery jsut now, we have a meeting next week to discuss school options for her, the results of that meeting will go infront of a panel and they will make a desicion as to where she goes so im crossing my fingers that she gets a placement in the school thats attached onto her nursery as she will be intergrateed with the mainstream school.

Just hoping the meeting goes well next week and she's allocated all the help she needs xx
Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:04 pm 
Post subject:
Jeezo Nicola, that's just ridiculous!

I'm not entirely sure how close we are to knowing for sure either! - We attended speech therapy, in which she agreed he needed referred (agreed with HV). Family support worker has been out a couple of times and I've seen the early years support worker but I won't see her again until Kyle starts nursery, another visit from family support worker next week and my HV & paediatrician are coming out next week too. But as I understand it, the paed needs to see what they think and THEN refer him to LADS (Lanarkshire Autism Diagnostic Service) and I have NO idea how long that will take ??

As for Kyle himself, his meltdowns are more frequent and more extreme these days, I'm sooo stressed and it makes me angry that I can't make him feel better Sad

Fingers crossed she can go to that school Nicola, as long as they have help in place for her then can't see why not Smile keep me posted. Has Aimee been referred to LADS yet ?
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Community

Popular