Extra creases on babies buttocks

Jonie1976
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:05 pm 
Post subject: Extra creases on babies buttocks
Hi ladies,

I'm looking for some advice/reassurance. My lo had her 1 year check yesterday. She was born 5 wks early, so they did it based on 10 months. She hasn't really rolled, never crawled, has started bum shuffling last week or so, doesn't pull self up. So she was marked as virtually zero on gross motor skills. The hv stood her up whilst naked and noticed some extra creases. She then said my lo would need to be referred as hips might not be aligned correctly. We told her that she had an ultrasound on both hips when three months old because when she was born her left foot turned inwards. Nothing came up on ultrasound to worry about and her foot now fine.

Doctor said because of this ultrasound then this means nothing wrong with hips. But could something have developed later?!? Hv said if no improvement in next 6 weeks then lo will need to be referred to peadatrician as would be very concerning if still not much movement, especially with the extra creases

Does anyone have any experience of this,

Thanks, xx
Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:38 pm 
Post subject:
My boys were 9 weeks premature and they didnt become mobile til about 14 months (one crawled, one bum shuffled) so dont worry! And they didnt walk until 17 months and 19 months. I would get a second opinion if you're still unsure but don't think that just because your lo isnt crawling by now means there is definitely something wrong xx

MrsOz
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:30 pm 
Post subject:
Evie has an obvious extra crease on her thigh, I was told that she would 'grow' out of it but at 2 1/2 she still has it. It hasn't affected her and I have found no problems with her mobility (they were concerned early on as she had several indicators of spina bifida).

10 Months is still young (taking into account your girl was prem)... Evie didn't roll until she could walk (nearly a year old) and never crawled, but when comparing our own against others sometimes we feel that there maybe something wrong. Hopefully this is the case for you too and she is fine. My friend had 2 prems (both 8 weeks early) and they have both followed the prem tracker (ie age related minus the weeks they were early).

On another note, my hips are out of alignment... they did various different checks / scans / x-rays when I was younger and apparently signed me off aged 3 after my bow-legged straightened out, however I ended up having both of my knees operated on aged 14 and 15 years because the dis-alignment meant my muscles are not correct. Apart from occasional aches (which I have a lifetime of specific exercise to do to counter-act when needed) and putting an end to my gymnastics career (I wish, I wasn't that good) I am fine now.

I agree with Jenna, get a second opinion if you are really worried. FX all is fine

xx

EmzyLouPlusThree
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:38 pm 
Post subject:
no advice re the extra crease but wanted to say my eldest didn't roll over til he was 11 months, didn't crawl til around 14 months and didn't walk til 18/20months (I never remember which)he wasn't even prem, he has only now at aged 3 started to talk - and still only odd words not sentences, there is nothing wrong with him and he does reach all his milestones, just later than the 'average' child, so try not to worry about that, the hard work begins once they are mobile so try and enjoy the relative peace while you can xx
Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:41 am 
Post subject:
Thank you so much for the replies ladies. She is being reviewed again in 6 weeks so will see what is said then. Mrs oz, is the crease an indicator of spina bifida then? What other indicators are there? When ive googled the extra crease, it just comes up with click hips. I'm sure my HIV just likes to scare the living daylights out of me. On the plus side at least she is being observant, more than I was, I put the creases down to my lo being chubby and no one has mentioned them before xxx
Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:14 am 
Post subject:
That's great that they will review it for you. Means she - and you - will be cared for. At least she hasn't made you worry then left you to it, and she will see you again.

Evie has a sacral dimple, but at the time they were unsure if it was 'blind' or not as they could not see (it looks like a second bum hole, but if there is no skin in the hole covering up it means that the spine may be exposed), and she had a covering of a type of hair on her body also consistent with SB, so the crease was an extra 'thing' added to the list - but not a sign on it's own... sorry if I panicked you - I didn't mean to!

Good luck hun xx

Jonie1976
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:40 am 
Post subject:
Mrs oz, no you didn't so don't worry. Charlotte has a dimple above her rib cage and one at top of shoulder, so I aspect a bit too high up lol. Thanks for helping cxxx

Jump to:  

Community

Popular