Sick 17-week old... advice please?

MingoMayo
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:44 am 
Post subject: Sick 17-week old... advice please?
Just after reassurance really...
Our son is just over 4 months old and last night fed as usual and went to sleep, but about 4 hours later I heard him cough really loudly on the monitor so went up and he'd been sick in his sleep and was soaked, and was still being sick when I lifted him up and had to hold him facing down so it didn't choke him... bless him. He was ok though and after a bath, change, and change of bedding I sat to feed him again as he was clawing for boob, and he drank a normal feed, then I lifted him to burp, which was fine, and then he threw it ALL back up again, right down to the bile Sad another wash and change of clothes and he was still smiling away, happy as you like! Gave him a half-hour before feeding him a half-boob, then he slept, then fed him a fairly normal feed in the night, then he slept, but then this morning woke for feed at 8am, drank probably about 3/4 of a feed, burped properly so had no trapped wind, and then a minute later threw it all back up again! Still all smiles though and asked for boob straight away afterwards again!
I'm not too worried as I know he had his two night feeds and kept them down, all that came up this morning was what he'd JUST had, not old milk, so I know he's had something since last night... and he's all cheerful and smiley, not lethargic, and his temperature is 36.2 so he's not feverish or anything... I'm just a bit confused as to what could cause this sickness? He is not at all a sicky baby after feeds, and he had burped each time so it wasn't wind causing it to come up suddenly...
After the last sicky moment I washed and clothed him, then we had cuddles and I laid him down for quiet time on the sofa... he was asking for food for about an hour, but I haven't given him it, so he self-settled sucking his thumb and is now asleep, but I don't quite know whether to try to feed him, feed him small amounts (though he'll get grumpy if I stop him partway through a boob!), or let him drink what he wants... what would you all suggest?
I don't think he needs a doctor or anything because as I said - he's very happy in himself, doesn't appear bothered, not lethargic, not hot or clammy, not grumpy, still wants food... just throws up his milk feeds straight after drinking them, apart from those two nighttime ones...
Guess I'm just after reassurance because it's the first time he's been properly sick and I was amazed at how much comes out! Yuk
x

libertytmk
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:59 pm 
Post subject:
When Jamie was sick at about 7 weeks we ended up in hospital (mainly because it was projectile vomiting and they wanted to check him for something else) and their advice was to keep feeding him as normal. The problem with bf is you don't really know how much they have so you don't really know how much they're bringing back up. They also told us that if he started to show signs of dehydration to try him with water and see if that helped

Jennifer256
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:12 pm 
Post subject:
Charlotte had a tummy bug at 9/10 weeks her temp was fine and she would just chuck up some feeds and not others, I did give littler feeds more often which seemed to help, I took her the doctors who said tummy bugs can last 7-10 days and keep her hydrated.
Do you know signs of dehydration? Sunken soft spot, dark under eyes, Dry mucous membranes (inside mouth,eyes) pinch skin and it doesn't instantly go back to its normal way.

Hope he feels better soon xx

MingoMayo
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:31 am 
Post subject:
Thank you everyone for your replies Smile
I continued feeding - and he continued to throw it up but then he was sick at about 1pm yesterday afternoon, fed at 3.30pm and kept it down, and has fed as normal without any sickness since. I was very close to taking him to the doctor or A&E because though he was still cheerful and active, he did have dark circles under his eyes and I was very worried about dehydration, but like I said, he then started feeding as normal without being ill so I didn't go, but if he is sick again I think I will just because he obviously had started to get dehydrated. Today he's very happy and feeding well too, still looking a little bit dark under his eyes but no sunken fontenelle and drinking/feeding very well - think he's making up for lost milk! Smile
Will just feed him up over the next few days and keep a close eye out for any other signs that he's falling ill again!
Thank you ladies - your comments really reassured me! I love AskBaby Smile xxx

Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular