poor skinny baby boy!

lilgem81
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:15 am 
Post subject: poor skinny baby boy!
Hi ladies, I was hoping for some advice and reassurance if possible
Little Ollie is 12 weeks old, he has reflux and is on baby gaviscon. Luckily the reflux doesn't really bother him at all, he is just sick a lot!
He was born at 7lb12 but has really struggled to put on weight since. I got him weighed last week and he had only put on 1ounce in two weeks, he's now 10 lb 14 but has dropped from the 50th to the 2nd centile. The health visitors made me take him to the doctors who now want to see how he does in the next two weeks then go from there.
Basically I wondered if anyone had had a similar problem and what happened
Thanks in advancex

Mandbaby
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:27 pm 
Post subject:
Awww, Gem, it must be really frustrasting that Ollie isn't putting on much weight very quickly. How often is he sick? Does he like his feeds? Does he gobble them down, or does he have a bit of a "I can take it or leave it" attitude? I'm just wondering if it's maybe a cows milk intolerance or something? As I said to you in the other post, Noah was sick 30 times a day for over 6 months, but still always put on a huge amount of weight (the little pig!) so the doctors never took it very seriously, even though it clearly upset him. He was on gavison, omeprazole and something else (whose name I can't remember). Not much really helped tbh, and he did grow out of it, but it must be very stressful if Ollie isn't putting on much weight. I would keep nagging the doctors to run more tests on him. Good luck xx

lilgem81
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:37 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks mand
To be honest he isn't really a hungry baby which must be the problem, i think hes only finished a whole bottle once!
He is sick a lot but it is more like a constant dribble, i will defo push for tests or different medicine if he still hasn't put on much weight next time. I think i'm going to have to wait until he eats food to get my chubby thighs!
Looking on the internet it seems many babies with reflux struggle to put on weight so hopefully its just that
Thanks for the advicex

simmysim
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:17 pm 
Post subject:
does he have any other symptoms at all? all of my babies have been "sicky babies" like u say more of a constant dribble of puke rather than massive projectile vomits, but Kieran really struggled to put on weight, he never seemed happy on a bottle but was also really whingy, always seemed to have gut ache, never seemed to settle very well, always farting and poo was quite runny, and at 2 months was still only 7lb (was 5lb born!) and just didnt really seem to follow his lines, then he started having blood in his poo too and eczema especially on his face and that too turned out to be a milk allergy, they changed his milk and within days he was a different baby! x
lilgem81
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:21 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks for the reply loolahoop
He has absolutely no other signs he is very happy, sleeps through the night and rarely cries (very lucky mummy) I think its hard to pinpoint something as some days he is hardly sick, then others he is sick all the time. My gut feeling is that he is just not a very hungry baby and he is putting all his efforts into growing tall, he is so long! Hopefully he'll have stepped up next weigh in and will make it to 11lb!

manthony12303
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:16 pm 
Post subject:
When my ds was a baby (he's 4 now) I noticed he was smaller than other babies his age. When I took him to the Dr, he was only in the 10th percentile. I asked if I was doing something wrong or was he sick. He didn't have the reflux thing, but he was just not very interested in food. The Dr said it was nothing to worry about and that he may just be a smaller than average boy. To this day, he's a skinny little thing. Lol ..my dd is a chunky monkey. Some babies are just smaller/larger than others. As long as your LO seems happy all around (which it sounds like your LO is very happy), I wouldn't get too worried just yet. On the next weigh in, if she's still not gaining, the Dr will surely try to figure out why, and I'll bet it's something minor that can be fixed easily. Smile gl!
GreenFish
Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:52 pm 
Post subject:
when my son was born he was in the 97th centile ...since then he's always gained weight slowly, and has always been just below the 25th centile. cue lots of stress and worrying about his weight, but that's just how he's built. he's a healthy, happy, active and skinny little boy! i hope your boy either turns out to be like this, or that he has an easily solved little problem with an intolerance or something similar. fingers crossed!

lilgem81
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:07 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks ladies, I'm feeling much happier about the situation now. Ollie is gaining slowly but managing to stay just above the 2nd centile. He is not intolerant to anything, I think he just doesn't much care for milk. I started weaning him about two weeks ago and he is loving food so I think he'll come into his own now. I've also accepted that he may never have chubby thighs so have been making my friend get her little boys chubbers out when we visit Laughing

lilgem81
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:13 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks ladies, I'm feeling much happier about the situation now. Ollie is gaining slowly but managing to stay just above the 2nd centile. He is not intolerant to anything, I think he just doesn't much care for milk. I started weaning him about two weeks ago and he is loving food so I think he'll come into his own now. I've also accepted that he may never have chubby thighs so have been making my friend get her little boys chubbers out when we visit Laughing

Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular